A novel being Grimdark is not a reason to give a low rating

The same goes for all genres, but it's specifically bad for the Grimdark genre. I've noticed that a lot of authors are getting punished by negative reviews that are complaining that the novel is Grimdark. Usually, I immediately start reading the novel once I see such a review cause 99% of the time I end up liking the novel, but it's still a bit saddening that just because it's grimdark someone immediately dropped the novel and gave a low rating and the only reason is "It's grimdark". The review would be fine if it critiqued the story as a poor grimdark story, but it's usually that it belongs in the grimdark genre.

Re: A novel being Grimdark is not a reason to give a low rating

Grimdark tends to struggle because there's different definitions for the genre. Some think it's just dark and intense i.e. dark fantasy for instance. Others think it's darkness and grittiness taken to such an extreme that it becomes funny. Those are two very different things, and people expecting one or the other are going to end up being disappointed, yeah.

With that said, if any reviews state something along the lines of, "I don't like this because it's grimdark," that would be against the rules for reviews, since you're not allowed to rate something poorly just for saying you don't like a whole genre. You or the author are free to report reviews like that and they will most likely be removed by the mods.

kieranpierce Wrote: Grimdark tends to struggle because there's different definitions for the genre. Some think it's just dark and intense i.e. dark fantasy for instance. Others think it's darkness and grittiness taken to such an extreme that it becomes funny. Those are two very different things, and people expecting one or the other are going to end up being disappointed, yeah.

With that said, if any reviews state something along the lines of, "I don't like this because it's grimdark," that would be against the rules for reviews, since you're not allowed to rate something poorly just for saying you don't like a whole genre. You or the author are free to report reviews like that and they will most likely be removed by the mods.
Huh…I did not even know this was an issue. Maybe that is why some of the ratings I have gotten have been the way they are.  DrakanFascinating

Don’t really care much though, I ain’t here to cater to one person or a group of them. There is always the next book they can go onto. Still, I think the issue comes into place, for Royal Road not having the division of Dark Fantasy and Grim Dark. I feel this would solve the issue, simple but effective ya know.

I know right? I’ve seen a lot of books here get low reviews because it was too dark for readers, especially if bad things happen to the MC (God forbid, the MC isn’t served everything on a silver platter). As someone who’s writing a really dark story, that infuriates me. If you don’t like dark stories, you just shouldn’t read the novels with the grim dark tag, it’s that simple.

Soussouni Wrote: I know right? I’ve seen a lot of books here get low reviews because it was too dark for readers, especially if bad things happen to the MC (God forbid, the MC isn’t served everything on a silver platter). As someone who’s writing a really dark story, that infuriates me. If you don’t like dark stories, you just shouldn’t read the novels with the grim dark tag, it’s that simple.

People like to go into a car dealership to buy eggs. It's just the way it is.