Other writing events for RR?

Writathon seems pretty cool. It's boosted productivity for some and helped some stories gain more attention. Two really good reasons to have events. Also created some new stories.

Writathon seems to encourage as many words as possible for new and existing books. What about a more focused event that aims to draw attention without the time invested?

For example, a 5 or 10k event for stand alone short stories or side stories/chapters added to existing works? 

Benefits:
  • A hard cap on word count means no competition for who writes the most and shows up at the top of a list
  • Less time invested
  • Can submit multiple works to draw attention to multiple books more easily, or use more stories to draw attention to one author
  • Side stories/chapters draw attention to established books/serials
  • Short stories are excellent writing practice and a good change of pace
  • Admin can specify a theme or event that must take place in the writing to promote something or just create variety on RR
Option
Not sure if it would be too much trouble, but maybe you qualify for the challenge by just submitting a story, but you achieve a second stage of achievement by getting, say, 3 people to read the story and check a box that confirms the story meets event criteria?

Option 2
A flash fiction contest where the topic is announced at a certain time and we have maybe 72 hours to produce 5 or 10k on that specific topic, whether it's standalone, side story or chapter for an existing work?

Do you have other ideas for events?

Re: Other writing events for RR?

I easily have dozens of stories, all written to prompts and contests and challenges that I have entered. I've also posted many long discoures on Royal Road that go on and on, describing in detail theses events and how I have fared in them, but I don't have time today to carry on like that here on this thread.

Suffice to say, I am all for challenges and contests and pompts, and find them fun and a great way to get to know people. Winning them every now and then is also kind of nice.

So I am ALL IN for any sort of contest or challenge or whatnot that occurs. Just let me know when and where. 😸

Honestly, I don't think RoyalRoad would be up for more than two contests a year. Given what the prizes are, and how generous they are. Even something like a badge would take money and effort to set up.
User-made contests, though, there could be plenty of those. Gifting a subscription to others is possible, so prizes would be easily dealt out. Or like the trash contest, just set something up for the fun of it and bragging rights. I'd just open a support ticket beforehand to let the admins know you're planning something.

the trash race was a great example of a fun event
lots of fun was had but not too much effort was spent
themed contests seem cool, but reader feedback would be nice
writathon already feels frequent, in a year, twice

giving readers more incentive to participate
and perhaps select some winners would be pretty great
like if there were anonymously written stuff out
they would have to vote just on what the tale was about

how about a review writing themed  competition
choosing a novel and writing the best description
a new book could be chosen to review now and then
...logistics might me odd, i'll come back to this one again

peoconfused

TEZofAllTrades Wrote: Maybe a community building event? For example, a review spree sort of event where the winner is based on the person whose reviews get the most thumbs up during a period of time? That way it would make people review new books but wouldn't encourage lazy reviews...? It could have potential to really shake up the "Read" pages, too.
Well, the meta with that would just be to follow the top 100 authors and get the first review on one of their stories. If done right, it would be instant 100+ upvotes. Going for stories on newer authors would be completely ridiculous. 

DrBuller Wrote:
TEZofAllTrades Wrote: Maybe a community building event? For example, a review spree sort of event where the winner is based on the person whose reviews get the most thumbs up during a period of time? That way it would make people review new books but wouldn't encourage lazy reviews...? It could have potential to really shake up the "Read" pages, too.
Well, the meta with that would just be to follow the top 100 authors and get the first review on one of their stories. If done right, it would be instant 100+ upvotes. Going for stories on newer authors would be completely ridiculous.
But the popular authors/stories would already have reviews and you would have to compete with the others to get your seen as well as thumbs up'd. If you review a story without any reviews, people would be more likely to see and Thumbs up it. Not the perfect idea, I know, but a contest that encourages reviews on new & undiscovered books would be handy.

TEZofAllTrades Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
But the popular authors/stories would already have reviews and you would have to compete with the others to get your seen as well as thumbs up'd. If you review a story without any reviews, people would be more likely to see and Thumbs up it. Not the perfect idea, I know, but a contest that encourages reviews on new & undiscovered books would be handy.
This might surprise some but you authors make new stories now and then. And since we can get notifs the moment they go live... 

How about a Reviewer contest:
  • Authors submit stories under 250 followers (to boost attention to new/struggling stories); must be ongoing and recently updated or complete with at least 75k words and a cover
  • 25 stories selected by contest managers 
  • Readers have 4 weeks to read and give stories advanced reviews to at least 25k words
  • Top 25 Readers are ranked based on number of reviews done, and if they are authors, their fictions are listed by their name
  • 5 'outstanding' reviews published for all to see (smart / funny / charming / etc.)
  • Stories are ranked by number of reviews received (indicative of having a good cover, blurb and first chapter hook)
Those selected to help manage the contest automatically have all of their own, qualifying fictions entered as well.

Readers must keep a list of the reviews they've done, with links to them, and submit the list at the end. 

I suppose we could choose a genre or two in order to narrow the number of submissions?

What do you think?

Timothy Wrote: Authors submit stories under 250 followers
I say that 250 is still too much. Limit it to under 100 followers at minimum. Maybe to under 50.

Timothy Wrote: at least 75k words and a cover
Cover I agree on, but at 75k words I don't think it's new any more. Maybe 20k or 30k?

Timothy Wrote: 25 stories selected by contest managers
I'd make it so there wasn't a cap on the number of entries. If someone wants their story to be in, it can be in.

Timothy Wrote: Readers have 4 weeks
For a user-made contest I say four weeks is a bit long. At four weeks it could have dropped of the front page of the forums, and everyone would have forgotten about it. Maybe two weeks, with an official list of participants at the end of week one?

Mad Wrote: 20k or 30k

This doesn't feel like enough material to judge some stories, nor is it enough to say that an author is invested and committed. We don't need to support stories that never end up going anywhere. 

Mad Wrote: so there wasn't a cap [of 25 stories]

Keeping the effort focused on a smaller number of stories will provide a greater boost than spreading the effort out amongst a huge number. 

slackeuse Wrote: benefit for the reviewers
  • Bragging rights sorted by # of reviews given
  • If they're authors, then their fictions are listed beside their names for visibility
  • 5 oustanding reviews posted, for more bragging rights
If this is just a user-driven event, then we don't have the funds for prizes. Unless someone can come up with something.