Re: Does anybody knows what are the main demographics of royal road?

Kinda noticed for litrpg, will probably move my story into KU if the situation doesn't change soon (6 months +). I'm tired of writing for an empty crowd while the new litrpg on the block gets more views than any old written story with 300 pages. Besides, nobody beside Ararara gave me feedback on my story... doesn't help me when my goal is to master writing..

Jayrayme6 Wrote: Kinda noticed for litrpg, will probably move my story into KU if the situation doesn't change soon (6 months +). I'm tired of writing for an empty crowd while the new litrpg on the block gets more views than any old written story with 300 pages. Besides, nobody beside Ararara gave me feedback on my story... doesn't help me when my goal is to master writing..
Honestly, I think no matter where you put your work you need to market it. I'm not writing litrpg either, but you can do review swaps with people in the review boards if you want feedback, and in fact doing reviews with others is the best way to get your work more publically seen as well, as that review then shows up on their page. Being active on the forums is also a good way to get your work seen. There's a self-advertising section as well here. But you have to be patient. Don't worry if the litrpgs are doing better because comparison won't make you a better writer. And most litrpg readers also read other fantasy novels, it's not a zero-sum game here. :)

I mean, putting your work on KU is a good goal to have, but bear in mind, Indie publishing is a lot more demanding then posting here.

There is: Profession editing, Marketing, Author platform, and a million other things that go into making a novel successful on KU. (and traditional)

I don't beleive there is a place anywhere to post a story and it immediately fly into a fan favorite besides maybe smut.

I think you'll have a much harder time getting traction in self or indie publishing. The bar will be higher and you will still have a lot of competition, and you will still have to do your own marketing (unless you hire someone out of pocket). 

Jayrayme6 Wrote: Kinda noticed for litrpg, will probably move my story into KU if the situation doesn't change soon (6 months +). I'm tired of writing for an empty crowd while the new litrpg on the block gets more views than any old written story with 300 pages. Besides, nobody beside Ararara gave me feedback on my story... doesn't help me when my goal is to master writing..

I'm aware you didn't ask for feedback in this thread, so you can stop reading here if you don't want it. I did take a peek at your work to see if genre was likely your only issue, and my conclusion is that it is not. 

Looking at your work, I can tell you right now that the font used for your cover makes the title impossible to read at a glance. You also start your first chapter with an info-dump about the world, which will deter readers right away. Your prose is actually very clean and readable, which is a treat for RR, but your approach to story-telling has too much tell from the get-go, which deprives readers of the opportunity to explore and immerse themselves in this strange new world. As such, my personal assessment of this situation you find yourself in is that it will not improve by simply moving shop--the same issues will present themselves over and over. You are correct though--bad LitRPG does get a lot of traction on RR--but since you're not writing the target genre, you will likely have to have all of your ducks in a row to gain readers and keep them. 

Just my 2 cents here! Hopefully you find it useful and not simply aggravating (as unsolicited feedback can be rather annoying).