Writathon Distractions!

What have you guys found to be the biggest distraction from hitting your Writathon goals?

The first three episodes of Wheel of Time just went live on Amazon and it's taking every fragment of my willpower to get this chapter written before I watch the first episode. I'm going to ration the episodes out, each time I get two chapters written I'm going to watch an episode. 

Re: Writathon Distractions!

Lmfao I was literally telling myself today that I won't watch these episodes until I finish your review. 

I think the problem is most of us aren't writers for a living, so writing is something we want to do whereas our actual lives intrude with things we need to do, which tends to supersede the writing. For example, I'm a uni student, but also borderline addicted to fantasy and sci-fi fiction, so between schoolwork and keeping up with my reading, I also need to find time to worldbuild and actually write my story

TamaNz Wrote: What have you guys found to be the biggest distraction from hitting your Writathon goals?

The first three episodes of Wheel of Time just went live on Amazon and it's taking every fragment of my willpower to get this chapter written before I watch the first episode. I'm going to ration the episodes out, each time I get two chapters written I'm going to watch an episode.

For me it’s tests (Okay, not really a distraction. It’s more important😅), and Tales of Berseria and Yakuza: Like a Dragon — got both at once and I have trouble putting them down lol

MrNobodyisHome Wrote:
TamaNz Wrote: What have you guys found to be the biggest distraction from hitting your Writathon goals?

For me it’s tests (Okay, not really a distraction. It’s more important😅), and Tales of Berseria and Yakuza: Like a Dragon — got both at once and I have trouble putting them down lol
I pumped way more hours than I'm comfortable admitting into Like A Dragon during one of the lockdowns.  

NinaWrites Wrote: Its life. Full time job. Then being tired, I just wanna relax or take a nap. Or just zone out while watching YouTube videos. Lol
I remember you saying you were keeping mental hours in an earlier thread.  

I've tried multitasking with like YouTube ir cricket in the background while writing. 
Does. Not. Help. 

TamaNz Wrote:
NinaWrites Wrote: Its life. Full time job. Then being tired, I just wanna relax or take a nap. Or just zone out while watching YouTube videos. Lol
I remember you saying you were keeping mental hours in an earlier thread.  

I've tried multitasking with like YouTube ir cricket in the background while writing. 
Does. Not. Help.
Not at all! Omg. Mental burn out is a thing- I'm already burning out from work and now my story is like causing me a headache. But the only fuel I'm on is the fact that I'm finally getting into my story(lol) cuz I laid out all the ground work and wriathon. 

I've been looking forward to The Wheel of Time, but it is such a huge distraction I'll have to postpone watching. It will still be there when the Writathon is over. I have been seriously neglecting my other novel and there are only so many hours in a day one can devote to writing. It's been great fun though and got me writing on a disciplined schedule which was my goal. 

Gotta agree - life in general. I'm sure it will shock my readers to know that I am indeed an actual parent, but - well, the truth is out now. I've been taking just about every spare minute I could find, beg, steal, or borrow to write and it's been wearing me out. I had a couple hours to myself on Thursday I planned to use for writing, but I just took a nap instead.

It was a great nap and I regret nothing.