Sick note

Assuming you didn't start with a massive backlog, how do you tell people you're unable to have a chapter out on a chapter-day? The idea of leaving a chapter just saying 'I'm sick I'll post tomorrow' sounds bad to me. If your chapter is a day late, do you notice sizeable impacts or backlash for it? I worry, but I'm struggling to write with a cold that threatens to drown me. Been trying to push through but progress is slow and I just want to sleep and drink fluids. I have been advised by those who love me to take it easy, but I hate letting anyone down who is looking forward to it. :( 

Re: Sick note

Kathy Wrote: Assuming you didn't start with a massive backlog, how do you tell people you're unable to have a chapter out on a chapter-day? The idea of leaving a chapter just saying 'I'm sick I'll post tomorrow' sounds bad to me. If your chapter is a day late, do you notice sizeable impacts or backlash for it? I worry, but I'm struggling to write with a cold that threatens to drown me. Been trying to push through but progress is slow and I just want to sleep and drink fluids. I have been advised by those who love me to take it easy, but I hate letting anyone down who is looking forward to it. :(
Don’t worry about it too much, just tell them, and the reasonable ones will understand. For instance, I just pretty much made a full disclosure, since I keep forgetting to do that. 🤨

This is for me to avoid potential issues down the line, it is a similar concept. Just be honest and upfront about it. Those who follow you will understand, those who don’t? Well, nothing can be done about it.

I only lost one person when I stopped posting for a couple weeks without notice due to cold + life things, but I think by now everyone besides the newest has realized as much as I've been trying to do the everyday thing, there is no backlog here and sometimes I just can't do it.

Rest! You're doing this for free and most people recognize that.

I either put out a notice if I won't be able to do the update in a timely fashion, or I post double the content the next day, the late chapter and an apology chapter. I think it has made my readers not mind if I'm late on an update because then they know they're getting extra later.

Sometimes I'm not able to do apology chapters, but I've found that readers are generally super understanding especially if they can see how hard you are working on the project.

I usually add an author's note to the end of the most recent chapter - that way, if anyone wonders what's going on and thinks to check, there'll be an explanation, but it won't be bothering people who don't care and only want to know when there's more new content.

Then I'd also leave a note with the next chapter I was able to post, apologizing for the delay, maybe explaining the circumstances for those who didn't see the other note.