Re: How Prevailing is VRMMO Hate?

Ararara Wrote:
NinaWrites Wrote: this thread is hurting me... but I'm taking notes for my current story.
peocrying
We love VRMMOs I think it's just the authors that are salty about it. Nothing wrong with them
Haha, I'm glad this thread came about. It helps me consider things I haven't considered before. Since my story is still new - I have time to change it and expand on certain things!

It kind of depends on how serious the characters take themselves. If it's a VRMMO with no real death involved then I completely hate it if the characters are serious and it leans towards drama/ action drama. Those kinds are just garbage imo. I can't get excited or care about how well someone is doing playing a game. If there's no real consequences then they're ok if they're more comedic slice of life type things. I enjoy "Bofuri i don't want to get hurt so I'll max out my defense." If people are really going to die then I can also actually feel tense and care about the characters.

I like VRMMO's, but I'm convinced they're not really good for high-stakes stories. IMO, some of the earlier comments hit the nail on the head with how screwy VRMMO stories can get when people try to bolt 'high stakes' stuff on top of them. KU seems especially bad about this; I skim some of the synopsis on those stories and just roll my eyes so hard.

I think I've seen one story where somewhat high stakes felt natural, and it wasn't even really high stakes; it was a betrayal plot about someone being friends with one guild IRL and playing with another in game. (Write more Tidal Lock, Resonantice!) Actually that's something I'd like to see more VRMMO stories do - utilize the real world in a way that both makes sense and adds to the story.

the solution to your problem is easy.
make the MC resurrect endlessly.
and as a tradoff, you can make it that the world will end in 10 years unless he kills the demon lord.
and use that to give the MC incentive to do crazy things to level up fast

also, i hate most VRMMORPG, but not becuse the sub genre itself, but becuse most writers of this sub genre i have seen, dont really care for the "system" and its looks really bad.
like i mean, when i see "to hit chanse - 59%" in the MC main stats, i know its gonna be very bad.
thats why i only read the trasnlations from asia of this sub genre.

just write the story you want to write. and hopefully post it to share it with others.

for many stories, the title blurb is there to grab attention. after all, why should we read THIS story instead of all the others? then you have to write well enough to hold the readers attention. and then... you have to decide how to edit it, because the first draft will often run into problems down the road. the 'post as you write' approach makes it very hard to edit the early chapters later on, especially if its a foundational part of the early story that impacts everything after that point.

VRMMO is a framing device. its a perfectly valid framing device, but needs to fit the story you tell. either they are unable to log out (SOA, dot hack) or they got isekaied into another world(overlord), or it could just be a story about people who spend too much time playing video games. that last one needs a hook for conflict, and some stories fuel that with guild drama. anyone thats ever been in an mmo guild knows about the drama, its a train wreck of people being stupid jerks online. and tons of manga cover the guy kicked out of the heroes party, and how he reacts to that- revenge, or forget it and move on? then theres the serial killer angle, that SOA did in its sequel, killing people in real life.

a VRMMO story is perhaps more limited, in that it must be a near-future scifi story on one level, and an mmorpg on another. it could be 5 years in the future, or a hundred, but the author always gets the year wrong. the ones that rely on using tropes as crutches to storytelling tend to be less good than the ones that actually tell a story. stakes do not need to be physical, stakes can easily be emotional or social, and can just as easily be comedies or mysteries instead of action packed.

M.J. Wrote: I enjoy some VRMMO's Most of the ones I enjoy though, never reference the real world, or if they do, it's only to set up the story. One of my favorite examples of this is The Completionist Chronicles. While reading them, it's quite easy to forget the real world exists or existed. But it is still a VRMMO by definition.

Then why is it a vrmmo then? Aside from not having permadeaths they don't need to be a game. If you really don't want permadeahs in the the story just write in universe reason for it.

Randomnameguest1949 Wrote:
M.J. Wrote: I enjoy some VRMMO's Most of the ones I enjoy though, never reference the real world, or if they do, it's only to set up the story. One of my favorite examples of this is The Completionist Chronicles. While reading them, it's quite easy to forget the real world exists or existed. But it is still a VRMMO by definition.

Then why is it a vrmmo then? Aside from not having permadeaths they don't need to be a game. If you really don't want permadeahs in the the story just write in universe reason for it.
I think the point of the statement was actually that M.J. doesn't really enjoy VRMMO novels that much. If it's a VRMMO novel that you can easily forget that it's about a VRMMO and not actually happening then M.J. can enjoy them. I'm not really sure why people write those types of VRMMO novels though. They like the idea of a VRMMO novel but don't want to write anything about the characters real life? Seems like it would just make more sense to write it as an actual fantasy novel in that case.