Re: ratings - Which is better?

NinaWrites Wrote: So I started to get more ratings on my story, which is yay! Feedback, sorta, in the form of stars. But I was wondering - is it better to get low count of high ratings or high count of low ratings. 

I'm not sure if I should be happy people are rating at all or should be worried that so many people are rating poorly, lol. 

DrakanThinking

I think a higher count of relatively lower ratings makes way for a more credible total average rating and readers might take that into account rather than an average of 5 stars that came from 2 or 3 users.

Personally I think it would be better to get a low number of mostly high ratings. Then followed by a high number of mostly low ratings, with a low number of mostly low ratings.

I prefer few likes to many dislikes. But I prefer more people read it and cared enough about it, compared to no one reading it and/or caring enough to actively rate it. My two cents.

msng Wrote: Personally I think it would be better to get a low number of mostly high ratings. Then followed by a high number of mostly low ratings, with a low number of mostly low ratings.

I prefer few likes to many dislikes. But I prefer more people read it and cared enough about it, compared to no one reading it and/or caring enough to actively rate it. My two cents.

People tend to rate honestly when they feel strongly enough about it (outside of review swaps- those may be anomalous). Thus few high rates to many low rates. Of course there are also trolls, so there may be instances where a wave of low rates is simply a troll storm, perhaps.

A better metric might be advanced reviews. Those take more effort, thus mean the reviewer probably paid attention. Bunch of advanced low rates, then I'd worry. Maybe the story isn't what the description signals? Maybe I've got issues with the prose- grammar, plot, dialogue, action, something like that? Simple drive by rates are fast, but don't go into that sort of detail.

I think more is better, as long as they don't demolish you average score with .5 ratings that potentially have an amount of trolls among them. It's a more rounded image of people's opinion of your story, the visibility could lead to reviews that give constructive feedback.

But I'm speaking based on what I've seen happen so I might be talking nonesense, and it could lead to everything going to hell, who knows?