Re: What should I do?

Proxy's Wrote: I want to go back and fix up the previous chapters for my work, but I think it'll cut into the time I can write a new one. How should I go about this?
Weigh the pros and cons. For instance, if you believe the damage is to a scale of concern, then I would advise going back and fixing up previous chapters. However, if it is not too concerning, then continue on. In a case like this, you could always wait until you are finished. It is not an easy task dividing up your time for corrections while also writing something new, though if you have to do it, then do it. It is better to tackle the problem early, than to wait until it gets to a length so large, that it takes more than the average toll. This would apply if the previous ones are in a state that can do significant damage. 

You could keep writing until you get to the end of an arc or the book, then you could take your time fixing and reworking what you have already written. It all really depends on how much you want to change, if it’s just minor corrections in one chapter I’d say go for it, if not then I would hold off for a while.

If you can complete the changes in a day or a week, do it now. If you reach the end of the week and haven't made substantial progress, go back to writing forward.

Getting bogged down in revising is as much a death knell for a serial as hiatus is, but if you can make the changes quickly and get back to writing then, especially for the earliest chapters, it's worth taking the time. Your first chapters are the first thing anyone sees, and having them shiny and beautiful will be a better advertisement than whether or not there are typos in chapter 20.

Proxy's Wrote: I want to go back and fix up the previous chapters for my work, but I think it'll cut into the time I can write a new one. How should I go about this?

It depends on the timeframes involved. How long do you think it will take to do the edits, and how long does it typically take you to write a new chapter?

If the first few chapters aren't up to standard, take the time to polish them. They're your first impression on a potential audience. With that said, don't spend so much time on them that you alienate your current audience. 

If you want to redo some chapters that are somewhere in the middle, it's probably not worth the time unless a) you're noticing a significant drop in readership after a certain chapter or b) you just really want to.

I think there are a lot of questions here. Are you trying to make a specific word count for Writathon? Are you on a deadline? Are the errors in previous chapters affecting the story as you move forward with it?

Personally, I tend to write chapters and let them sit for a bit before posting them. It's very tricky to catch errors in your own work, but it's a lot easier to look at stuff with fresh eyes if you didn't just write it. On the day I plan to post it, I'll read it through once before posting it and then once again afterward (partly because RoyalRoad's style rules do funky things with formatting from time to time).

Now, for me, this is the most effective way for me to write. It limits my ability to eternally re-write the same section of fiction, while still letting me get it to a fairly polished level before sending it off into the world. If I just wrote and posted things, I'd stress about it and my negative mood would affect my ability to be creative. Other people don't work like that: many would rather write a rough draft of the whole story, then go through and edit it all at once. Neither way is wrong. You just need to think about your goals and your abilities. What will work best for you?