Re: Wordcount to get into the top of participant list

world_wanderer Wrote: Hey! This is my first time taking part in the Writathon, and I wonder how much word count is usual to get into the top 10? How much was in the last time? How much is needed to get into the middle? If anyone knows about approximate numbers, can u write it here? It's really interesting.
Thank you in advance.
This year is the one with the highest competition yet. Just check the pages on Ancient Core and Etherial Adventurer. They are both for the writaton fics and are probably the top 2 contenders. Probably since a few old fics like Arkendryst lso post 100K+ usually, no idea how much this time though. If Pirateaba was still around they'd be a contender too.

I would like to get to the top of the list but I know I wil have to pull in some crazy numbers to get there. I suspect I would need to write 200k words to get to number 1. That's just not possible for someone with a full time job with no backlog - as well as being a beginner writer.

My only goal is to maintain my writing/posting streak everyday! :) 

NinaWrites Wrote: I would like to get to the top of the list but I know I wil have to pull in some crazy numbers to get there. I suspect I would need to write 200k words to get to number 1. That's just not possible for someone with a full time job with no backlog - as well as being a beginner writer.

200k is not enough anymore. Trust me on that :)

DrBuller Wrote:
NinaWrites Wrote: I would like to get to the top of the list but I know I wil have to pull in some crazy numbers to get there. I suspect I would need to write 200k words to get to number 1. That's just not possible for someone with a full time job with no backlog - as well as being a beginner writer.

Jfc. You're a beast. You're a beast in duck's clothing. 

DrBuller Wrote:

Then how much do u think is enough?

world_wanderer Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:

Then how much do u think is enough?
250k? Maybe 275

Timothy Wrote: The ranking system seems obviously abused. Some few people might crank out endless prose, but I imagine most of these people are using a backlog to game the system and get more exposure. 

I would do away with this ranking system. Just list all 55k qualifiers together without word count and make the list random each time you view it. That's fair to everyone.
Yes, I agree. May be we should propose such an idea to the administration?

world_wanderer Wrote:
Timothy Wrote: The ranking system seems obviously abused. Some few people might crank out endless prose, but I imagine most of these people are using a backlog to game the system and get more exposure. 

I would do away with this ranking system. Just list all 55k qualifiers together without word count and make the list random each time you view it. That's fair to everyone.
Yes, I agree. May be we should propose such an idea to the administration?
will likely be done to some extent next year already but I say go for it

That's not a bad idea.

TamaNz Wrote: 275K in a little over a month is mental.
 Nearly 8000 words a day. My wrists and fingers bleed at the thought of it haha.

If people are managing that around a full time job and a life then they fully deserve to be at the top!
I wrote 6000 words for one chapter in a day - it took me legit 6 hours including editing. But to be fair - I was also sleep deprived so I was probably just typing words in. Suffice to say, looking back the next morning - I was like.... this is horrendous. 

Buller(I think or was it someone else?) beat you to it. Suggestion is that the list should randomize everytime you click it.

NinaWrites Wrote:
TamaNz Wrote: 275K in a little over a month is mental.
 Nearly 8000 words a day. My wrists and fingers bleed at the thought of it haha.

If people are managing that around a full time job and a life then they fully deserve to be at the top!
I wrote 6000 words for one chapter in a day - it took me legit 6 hours including editing. But to be fair - I was also sleep deprived so I was probably just typing words in. Suffice to say, looking back the next morning - I was like.... this is horrendous.
I feel this pain deep in my soul. I decided to start writing on the 4th so I dived in at the deep end and wrote about 5K words over the course of the day. It was un-edited and parts of it read like I'd been drinking heavily.