Ask me anything.

God, I'm going to regret this, am I?

For context, I'm currently serving my National Service and just came back from field camp. Been meaning to do something like this for a while, so here it is.

Side points, I'm an Archer before enlisting and got some five years (on and off) in writing, so if you have any questions on those angles, do ask.

Or you could ask me my personal life, which I'll decide on whether it's too personal to answer.

Re: Ask me anything.

MalevolenceMau Wrote: How has the service been so far? I remember you talking about leaving for it a while back and that your story/ies would be slow to update. Do you find much time to write or make notes?

Strif3 Wrote: Do you find it easier to write while laid up at home or when you're out in the field?

Service is, in a way, fun. You get to do stuff that you can't do elsewhere (shooting a rifle, throwing a grenade, room-clearing etc) and then there's all the... shall we say, events that really pushes you and your buddies to find solutions quickly. As for writing, it's harder to find time to justify spending on a google docs page for the next chapter of Descent, but writing notes is a lot easier when there's free time in the army, so there's that.

tfisb Wrote: To what extent do you have free will and to what extent are you a simple product of your previous experiences barreling helplessly through life like a pinball in a machine?
This is harder to say. I'm not really limited by what I can do, (baring obviously illegal things and having to stay home because of the you-know-what,) but I don't really feel as if I'm being taken for a ride in the game called life. You could call it a slow life frontier, in a way :P

Haust Wrote: What's the one thing about archery that authors always get wrong?
Look. Yes, we can be accurate as all heck. No, the bow needs to be heavy, have high poundage, and shouldn't be used over long distances if you want it to be accurate, still maintain some velocity while resisting the wind, rain, and other factors in order to hit someone. I don't care if your character is some wizard, physics still applies.

Ararara Wrote: Have you ever had a misfire that could've hit somebody, and potentially hurt them? What's the closest that you got to it?
Nope. Been very very careful of any negligent discharges.

emperor Wrote: your from singapore i see.
what do you think on other small high tech non europian counties like your own? (japan, south Korea, Taiwan, new ziland, Israel, ect.)
do you feel rivalry toward them? camaraderie? or you just dont care about them or never heard of them?
It's hard to say anything about these nations because on the one hand, I'm not too engrossed into the geo political landscapes of these nations. On the other, there's much to worry about in my own, so I'll just leave it at that.

Zearth Wrote: I don't care if your character is some wizard, physics still applies.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. In most novels that I've read where magic is involved that's the entire opposite of the truth. Magic makes things happen that are contrary to the way physics says things should be.

has your time in service yielded any new friendships?
has it strained any pre-existing relationships?
will it help you out career wise, or keep you healthy?
do you feel any different toward your home country?

would you ever consider returning to serve more?
would you feel differently if you were called to war?
do you feel resentful that it isn't optional?
or have you come to think of it has quite rational?

PeoReading

Ralen Wrote:
Zearth Wrote: I don't care if your character is some wizard, physics still applies.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. In most novels that I've read where magic is involved that's the entire opposite of the truth. Magic makes things happen that are contrary to the way physics says things should be.
Ok, ya, if the magic makes sense, then yes, archery. But at what point would it be more efficient to say "Hey, pushing an object with lightning magic between two rods do a lot of damage and have more accuracy than a bow?

On a side note, if you've done archery, then the motions you go through for firing a rifle isn't all that different.

eric_river Wrote:
has your time in service yielded any new friendships?
has it strained any pre-existing relationships?
will it help you out career wise, or keep you healthy?
do you feel any different toward your home country?

would you ever consider returning to serve more?
would you feel differently if you were called to war?
do you feel resentful that it isn't optional?
or have you come to think of it has quite rational?

PeoReading
1. Yes. National Service has that thing of having you live with 15 other people in a barrack and making you know them well.

2. Not really, I suppose. My own relationships are a wreck and I'm more close to my family than my friends.
3. Yes and yes. Learned a lot of things while in there and my fitness levels' been improving.
4. Not really. We all have our mindset that it's our rite of passage, so we don't really have different thoughts about it.

5. Well, there's something called reservist, so I'll have to serve again eventually. :p
6. Maybe. Maybe not. War is something we hope to never see, yet would give the middle finger if it does come to it.
7. Refer to point 4.
8. It's rational in the whole grand scale of things, but I just can't help wondering if there's something more I could do.

Allanther Wrote: What is the great good, the most altruistic thing, the mankind can seek to accomplish as a species?
I'm not even going to try answering, because mankind has fucked things up time and again.

KrazeKode Wrote:
Allanther Wrote: What is the great good, the most altruistic thing, the mankind can seek to accomplish as a species?

Reading Wizard's tower.

To OP, Have you read Wizard's Tower?
Nope. 

Little Wrote: What training do you do to be an archer (sorry 12am mode me isn't very good at chaining words together into a cohesive sentence)?
What is being an archer like?
For me, I wasn't a hardcore archer. I was one who would attend training whenever possible and then slowly develop my form over time. Some of my friends would go for extra training at the range and shoot for the entire day to get better, while olympic archers would solely dedicate to shooting nearly every day. As for being an archer, it's fun to be one. Archery brings about rather dedicated individuals that you'd grow to be friends with over the years.