Re: Critique and the point of writing on a site like RoyalRoad

Thedude3445 Wrote: Toxic behavior is a stain on the site and we must fix this, or else Royal Road is never going to grow.
99.9% of the time, anyone complaining about "thin-skinned authors" is usually just whining cuz they got called out for being an asshole.

I'm pretty sure this is like the fifth or sixth time I've seen this exact kind of thread, and every single time, we find out OP is being abusive.

As a community, let's stop responding to these threads, and start actively shoo-ing these kinds of people away. There is a certain level of intelligence and decorum expected from both readers and writers when you share your work here. If you cannot demonstrate it, leave.

MarikoRawralton Wrote:
Thedude3445 Wrote: Toxic behavior is a stain on the site and we must fix this, or else Royal Road is never going to grow.
99.9% of the time, anyone complaining about "thin-skinned authors" is usually just whining cuz they got called out for being an asshole.

I'm pretty sure this is like the fifth or sixth time I've seen this exact kind of thread, and every single time, we find out OP is being abusive.

As a community, let's stop responding to these threads, and start actively shoo-ing these kinds of people away. There is a certain level of intelligence and decorum expected from both readers and writers when you share your work here. If you cannot demonstrate it, leave.
I agree that a ceertain level of decorum is needed. But what is that decorum? What is the 'good' way to comment? Or review even if it is negative? I think we do need to discuss that. 

Personally I think that being polite is necessary. You can critisize but there is no need to be insulting. At the same time the authors also need to maintain decorum. It would be best if both sides refrained from swearing, it just tends to make things worse.

Sake Wrote:
Verlin Wrote:
Haust Wrote:
Thedude3445 Wrote: Authors can be too thin-skinned. Okay? That's true, and a discussion worth having another time. But in the case of the OP, I can say with 99% certainty that the author who blocked them and inspired this thread wasn't overreacting and lashing out at a reader; they were probably being harrassed by 5-10 of these toxic readers every single week and finally got sick of it enough to block them.
Lol. 

Yeah. Mystery solved. 

Look, OP. No one is required by internet law to put up with shit from randos. If this is the kind of 'critiques' you're talking about, then you brought it on yourself, and you should take a look at the thickness of your own hide before you start talking about the skin of other people. Why should they accept this?

Landi is actually one fo the least 'angry man' of the known toxics of RR. At least he usually gives a somewhat reasonable reason so the author can know what Landi didn't like.In my opinion that is too many things but at least he shares them. I won't say names but I've com across reviews that go - Stupid Author! Stupid MC! The Author is a lazy ass that doesn't work enough to write a good book! It is full of plotholes.-I always want to say, Which plothole did you find good reader, please do tell me about it. Usually these guys never reply. Even saw a review that said-MC a jerk and abusive dad is the only responsible person- Did you even read the book? Pretty sure the dad is the bad guy. Plus Mr.XXX woman can be forward too, it is normal even if you don't like it.

At least Landi talks and suggests stuff, if a bit rudely.

Yeah, I didn't see much problems with these reviews he wrote, either. He used swear words, but it wasn't in a void.

Also, how is saying that a story is childish or mc behaves like a child an insult? How is saying that that something is "unreadable to me" an insult, especially since he said next what makes it unreadable?
It isn't necessarily, but it also isn't critique. The whole definition of 'critique' aside tho (we have that discussion like twice a month anyway), a lot of this is just complaints about how he wants the story to be written to his tastes. He doesn't like the name of a character? That isn't bad writing. 

Like, ok, fine, leave reviews where you compare the MC's to nazis and complain that an author has a different political perspective. It's not the end of the world. But for the same reason, it also isn't gonna be the end of the world if you leave a rude critique or comment, and the author removes it. Like, who among us are getting paid by RR to deal with customer service, raise your hands? 

Reputation is reach. Damaging the reputation of a book is an attack. This may be a good thing but it hurts the goals of the author.

To find more reception consider using a PM.
Not public, no ego. Mind you are reaching into someones inbox so that invasion may get a strong reaction.

Literally preface your message with something like "I want to give you feedback without publicly taking a crap on your story, are you interested in my opinion?"

When they say yes they are mentally prepared, if they say no or haven't responded yet, maybe they aren't in a good headspace for it. Give the author the choice.

I know this doesn't answer the question but it may answer the problem.

Haust Wrote: It isn't necessarily, but it also isn't critique. The whole definition of 'critique' aside tho (we have that discussion like twice a month anyway), a lot of this is just complaints about how he wants the story to be written to his tastes. He doesn't like the name of a character? That isn't bad writing.

This is largely unrelated but it really depends on what the name is. Like, Randidly Ghosthound. I know people have read that one with word replacement extensions in, and it's understandable why. A unique name is fine, a silly name is fine, but they can totally have an impact on readers that the writing sometimes needs to change to reflect. Like, people trying to work out Randidly's real name? His old best friends gf and his childhood friend not thinking it was him? Funny-ish.

But, back on point, even the question of this thread lacked context, which is what matters here and has been sufficiently provided to show that the lack of it wasn't in good faith. Removing reviews/comments can de-escelated, create a better community, and can likely be used to remove any critique too. There's not a yes or no answer to this; There are clear points, like don't be toxic.

Landi Wrote: What is the point of posting your novel on a site like this one, if you can't accept any form of critique?
When someone leaves a comment, that means someone read what you wrote and it impacted them enough to write something.
Is deleting or banning a comment a pointless escalation, when replying or ignoring it would be enough?

An issue I have is that I'll received a critique that contradicts something that others have praised forcing me to choose who I want to please. One recent example was that I slowed my story down a bit and tried to improve my pacing only to have a previous reviewer alter their review one star lower, saying that it had slowed down. Even today I received a comment criticizing how a big reveal occurred, but all the other comments were from people who enjoyed it. It can be tough to find a balance and choose when to listen to a critique.

I personally haven't deleted any 'negative' comments I've received, but I can't fault other authors for doing it. We all have different tolerance levels and honestly the critiques I've received have been mild compared to some of what I've encountered on other's stories.

MrGrimSmile Wrote: Reputation is reach. Damaging the reputation of a book is an attack. This may be a good thing but it hurts the goals of the author.

To find more reception consider using a PM.
Not public, no ego. Mind you are reaching into someones inbox so that invasion may get a strong reaction.

Literally preface your message with something like "I want to give you feedback without publicly taking a crap on your story, are you interested in my opinion?"

When they say yes they are mentally prepared, if they say no or haven't responded yet, maybe they aren't in a good headspace for it. Give the author the choice.

I know this doesn't answer the question but it may answer the problem.

This is what I do when I know my comments will be negative. Yeah, I know it doesn't get me more reviews, but I can't bring myself to write a large amount of negativity.

"Critics" forget that reviews are also a literary work, and can be analyzed as any fiction
Its said that 90% of everything is trash, and that includes reviews
I group criticisms as Precise and Imprecise, because the Constructive and Destructive classification puts too much weight on the attitude of the reviewer, and most criticisms are extremely imprecise

You guys may notice OP has not replied, it seems he cannot stand criticism, and as his own question says, whats the point of writing a post if he cannot stand the comments?

hakatri Wrote: You guys may notice OP has not replied, it seems he cannot stand criticism, and as his own question says, whats the point of writing a post if he cannot stand the comments?

Well that was just disgusting and uncalled for. Not a single person in this thread thought to insult the OP for not replying, unprompted I may add. Perhaps next time you should practice what you preach and think before you speak. Also not commenting on a thread you think has no purpose.

Landi Wrote: What is the point of posting your novel on a site like this one, if you can't accept any form of critique?

As a form of self-expression and/or the pleasure of people who enjoy your work.

Quote:When someone leaves a comment, that means someone read what you wrote and it impacted them enough to write something.
This is the internet. If I post 'a poptart is a sandwich,' I can get someone to leave a comment.

Quote:Is deleting or banning a comment a pointless escalation, when replying or ignoring it would be enough?
No.

There is a difference between criticism and stuff like venting and complaining and the internet makes it so easy to vomit out pointless nonsense. Hell, I do it all the time (Even if future is going to regret it! Haha sucked in, loser! You can't stop me!) Maybe the author judges some things not as critique, but as pointless nonsense and just doesn't want to see it?

Sure there are people who abuse the delete button, too, but it's their choice. I'd delete twitter if I could, ALL OF IT!

Bobalob Wrote:
hakatri Wrote: You guys may notice OP has not replied, it seems he cannot stand criticism, and as his own question says, whats the point of writing a post if he cannot stand the comments?

Well that was just disgusting and uncalled for. Not a single person in this thread thought to insult the OP for not replying, unprompted I may add. Perhaps next time you should practice what you preach and think before you speak. Also not commenting on a thread you think has no purpose.
I don't know TheDude seemed to have a point...