Re: When do you decide to follow?

Three different reasons for me:
  • Stories I am currently reading and want to include to my list so I remember to pick up where I left off.
  • Stories that are on hiatus and I want to know if they resume so I know if it is 'safe' to start reading.
  • Stories that I think are really interesting and a tier above the usual stuff I put into the 'read later' list that I very rarely ever check.

If I start reading from chapter 1, and I liked the story (and want to continue reading it), I will follow. This will be after I am done with my "reading session", which might mean I'm on chapter 3, but also might mean I got to chapter 30 in one sitting. Or, if I'm really excited about the story, I will open a new tab just to follow it (so I don't forget) and then continue reading. Also, this might mean that I binged all the available chapters in one sitting, and then follow afterwards.

But I will almost never read just one chapter and follow (unless there's only one chapter available, and I really loved it.) 

I usually don't even start reading a story until there's about a month of updates, which for a lot of novels is about twenty chapters.

I'll know if the novel is something I want to keep reading pretty fast; usually three to five chapters.

If I like it, I'll read until the latest chapter, and as long as I feel like I want more when I get there, I'll follow.

So the answer could be any of the above, I guess. Practically, it's after a month; mechanically, it's after the latest chapter; honestly, if I get five chapters in, I'm probably already following.

I put plenty of things on my read later list. When I sit down with a story and read, when I am done with that session if I want to read more I will put it on follow, and if it wasn't enough to make me want to keep reading I leave it on read later or in those few cases where it was uninteresting I just remove it from my list completely. Initial reading sessions can be a couple chapters or six hours of binge reading depending on what is going on. Most stories don't have more than two or three chapters to hook an interest before I move on, but can hit a squick and lose interest very fast. 

So its a follow after the first reading session if the story got me to want to finish it.