Re: Should I give up writing webnovel?

The answer... it depends. 

I think you ought to ask yo'self why are you writing the story in the first place. 
Depending on your answer might lean you towards doing one thing over another. I'd love to sit here and say "No don't stop! Keep going!" but that will only work if you're writing the story because you get enjoyment from doing it, and it's a story you just have to get out on paper. Metaphorically.

If you're writing to get a following then perhaps... if it's not working out now then maybe maybe, you might want to consider starting something that will do better. 

I'm an expert in writing things that people don't read! Hahaha! BUT I'm posting on here knowing that if the internet was to stop working suddenly tomorrow then I would still just keep writing, and do it just for me. That's my mindset. It depends where you're at. 

I agree with EnhancedBeing. If you enjoy writing your story then keep doing it. If not, then find something you enjoy writing. However, there are a few other things to consider. 

- You've only been posting for about 3 weeks. It takes time for readers to find a story.
- You only have 11 chapters up. Many people won't even look at a story until at least 20 or 30 chapters are posted.
- A reduction in the number of views is very common.
- The vast majority of readers here don't comment. 

With all this in mind, think about it and do what's best for you.

The other two are right. It really depends on what you want. 

Are you writing for fun? For practice? Because you have a concept you're wildly curious about and you want to explore the multi-faceted gem of your own humanity through this particular storytelling lense? Or maybe you just really like that one side character and you need to write a plot so that one character can make bad running gags occasionally? Then keep writing what you want to write. 11 chapters is vastly better than what many wannabe writers ever accomplish. 

If you are writing for money and that is important to you, then it's a different story. I would personally move on from this concept if that's the case, or re-cycle it to better fit the current trends. To sell stuff, then you'll have to offer what people want to buy, and that's often an entirely different thing from the quality of writing. This is a bit cynical, but the reality of work is often that it's... well, work. Although it shatters a few stereotypes we may hold dear about the nature of authors, it also presents great opportunities to make it big if you're willing to to not take your stories as personally. 

I mean, to be honest, no one can tell you what to do. You are the only one who decides what you should do with your time.

And every time I see this question, it comes from someone who is relatively new, and they don't have a lot of chapters up. The truth is, that it takes time to get readers and depending on the story, you might not get a lot of readers.

I think what a lot of aspiring writers need to do when they join a platform is temper their expectations. It's not a post it and you'll get dozens of fans all commenting and debating in the comment section within a week. Writing a web novel or even a series is a long-term game. You can make it easier for yourself by writing in a popular genre and that's it. You just have to wait.

Now, you could make what you are doing a bit more appealing to interest readers. The cover you're using for example. I can't read the title on that.

Book covers need to be eye-catching with a title that is easy to read. Your cover isn't that. A different cover image would help. If that isn't possible, change the font. As nice and fancy as that font is, you need to use something easy to read. No cursive scripts. There is a reason why the majority of traditional and self-published books don't use fancy typesets, it's harder to read. Very few books can get a way with a cursive script. Not to mention the color of the font needs to be bold enough so that it doesn't blend into that dark background.

Change this, and it might help you. However, for the most part, you just need to continue what you are doing. Keep writing and be consistent with your posting schedule.

Tbh, dude, I say you need a better blurb. As it is, it's a bit... uncohesive. The style makes it sound like this is supposed to be a quirky comedy, but the lack of comedy tag makes me think, without having read a single word of the actual book, that your writing style will be immature and lacking in proper grammar. I repeat: this is without actually having read anything.
That and what L.J. said about the cover (altho I think the picture is good, you just need a font change).

^ I second this.

Also, and I'm really trying to not be mean here, I skimmed the first chapter. You need to workshop this.

Besides the obvious stuff like some paragraphs are double spaced, you are missing so many punctuations.

Look into getting a program like grammarly or prowritingaid to help you out because it's kinda a mess.

I'm not going to leave a score, but I would give it a 3/5 atm simply because of how much the grammar pulls me out constantly.

Most people, on this site, will not start reading your novel until it hits 20 chapters. Too many authors drop a story. 

Also, the views are arbitrary. I would say at least half the people that read my story binge-read it. So I could be thirty chapters ahead before my view count starts to pick up again. 

Unless you are an already established Author on this site, don't expect your view count to pick up massively unless you hit trending or rising stars. The best thing to do to get readers before that is to be active on the forum. Ask for review swaps or post in the marketing section.

There is no magic bullet to getting readers. And even if they never come, use the time to improve your writing skills.

I think it depends on why you are writing it and instead of giving up another option could be try a different story. I started a few before i started on the one i'm writing now and I've been cranking it out for a long time now. It's not uber popular and its not making me any money but i enjoy writing it and that's the biggest why of me writing it. I'm not going to stop just because of low numbers.

Hey OP!

I'm also new to the format (joined this summer) and it's my first time writing a webnovel! I also started off feeling a bit down that my views were going down every chapter and that people who updated once a week was getting more views and likes than me. It's inevitable to compare yourself to others but it's how you bounce back from it that matters!

I realized that my writing isn't at the level of the giant writers here. And that's okay! I'm learning everyday, and I can only improve as long as I put the time and effort into it! 

Ultimately, I'm writing because I want to see my characters come to life before my very eyes. I want to envision a story I would love to read! I'm writing because I like writing despite the full time job and having to make time to write with my already busy schedule. It's It's harder to juggle since I participated in writathon and I have to write everyday! 

TL;dr write because you want to, otherwise it's going to be a painful uphill battle for you. It helps when you don't check your stats on your story too! 🥰 

NinaWrites Wrote: Hey OP!

I'm also new to the format (joined this summer) and it's my first time writing a webnovel! I also started off feeling a bit down that my views were going down every chapter and that people who updated once a week was getting more views and likes than me. It's inevitable to compare yourself to others but it's how you bounce back from it that matters!

I realized that my writing isn't at the level of the giant writers here. And that's okay! I'm learning everyday, and I can only improve as long as I put the time and effort into it! 

Ultimately, I'm writing because I want to see my characters come to life before my very eyes. I want to envision a story I would love to read! I'm writing because I like writing despite the full time job and having to make time to write with my already busy schedule. It's It's harder to juggle since I participated in writathon and I have to write everyday! 

TL;dr write because you want to, otherwise it's going to be a painful uphill battle for you. It helps when you don't check your stats on your story too! 🥰

I also have to add on top of this that when you post Chapter 10 or whatever chapter you're on, people will start reading from Chapter 1 most of the time so the later chapter views are the ones that have been following you from the start or are mad bingers (like me). It's even more of a challenge to find many people reading your latest chapter if the story has been going on for a while.

No. Don't give up. Especially if you like writing what you are.

Two things that can help you:

1. Be active in the forums. PM people. Review swap. Leave reviews and advanced reviews on others fictions. Talk to established authors and get opinions and feedback. Network.

2. Be honest with yourself. If you love your fiction, stick with it regardless of what others think. If you don't like it because your goal was to write the next Lord of the Rings and it didn't get enough views then do what you want.

But always do what you enjoy.

Never give up, don't write for others, write for yourself! 

In addition to that, as you continue writing you will improve. At that stage you can go back and edit the earlier chapters, or may be inspired to start an entirely new story. Even if only one or two people read it, those people are reading it, and are people who are enjoying what you have created. 

Have faith in yourself, and your story. 

DoClickMe Wrote: I post a new chapter the views on my chapter keeps on decreasing
So, I'll just address this point (to avoid repeating too much) - this will probably always look like this. Everyone that reads your last chapters (should have probably) read all the previous ones. But there are probably people that read a few chapters and are planning to return to the story later on, binging through a few chapters at one go.

So, this one point isn't an issue.

It's actually more worrying (for me at least) when later chapters get more views than earlier ones. I see it from time to time in my and my friend's fictions, and, well... I think it may be the site miscounting something, but there is always this lingering thought that maybe a lot of people are just weird and read backwards 

MachineCapybara Wrote: It's actually more worrying (for me at least) when later chapters get more views than earlier ones. I see it from time to time in my and my friend's fictions, and, well... I think it may be the site miscounting something, but there is always this lingering thought that maybe a lot of people are just weird and read backwards

My first suspicion would be increased community interaction - people commenting and checking back to see responses to comments etc.