Re: Quest appreciation thread

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
msng Wrote: Thanks for the quest. Don't think I am cut out to be a real-life spy though as I did feel bad for the fictional Tadpoleon...
Well then, you shoulda done like me, and narked on The Guide to him! 😻
Lol, I fell into the sunk cost fallacy and went through with it because of all the effort spent on it. Also, helped that I could dehumanise Tadpoleon and tell myself that he wasn't a "real" being... 🥺

eric_river Wrote:
now that i know i'm not on some future quest blacklist
i'm proud to have found the wizard which so many missed!
us seven members of the kingdom's elite spying team
know the kingdom is a nicer place than it may seem 😉
We double agents are even better,

While you be looking just for the letter,
We be choosing the winning side,
After all, we wish for a fun ride,
And how else shall we find it?
Then siding with both and seeing where we fit?

Now that The Quest is over, I can finally talk fully about it without taking away anybody's suspense.

Firstly – and I said this before but it doesn't hurt to repeat it – this was AWESOME! Thanks, Wing and company, for this great idea.

Secondly – this also has been said before – this was SO FRUSTRATING... that *** "town square" took me soooo long...

I guess that many others have a similar tale of pain, but it want to share mine:

As soon as I learned about the quest/event, I wrote a quick limerick for The Ferryman (link for those interested) and was taken across the river. The Ferryman gave me a hint about the wizard. I found The Wizard on the member list and tried to bribe him with a food-related PM because of the wording of his bio at that time ("You want to know how to unlock a door? That's a simple magic trick. Give me something to eat, and I'll teach it to you."), without knowing his real identity. Phew, I'm glad nothing bad happened to the empire, except for the alternate badge I received.

(Because I wanted to write a real poem as well, I did that too. It took me about three hours and I'm rather proud of it. I submitted it with my alt account and on The Ferryman's personal recommendation I shared it here)

The three locations across the river are where the pain started. I guessed/brute-forced the password for location1 rather easily, but there was nothing relevant. I was able to enter the third location from the start (like everybody else, because there was no password) and found nothing relevant there, but I noticed the strange URL and tried some other URLs. Thus I found "location3" – that URL has been removed by now – which apparently was a test version of location2 and which had most of the quest solution's content but not the [relevant wording]. I gave that info to The Guide and thought that I had solved The Quest. Later I found some hints on the forum that there should be many more pages to click through, so I continued trying.

Location2 thwarted me, I tried dozens of passwords, including "opensesame" and "kickindoor" and similar ideas. I don't know why I didn't try the correct password. I searched for the Town Square on the forums (Roman forum = center of the town/city, this looked so obvious; "join the celebrating in the town square" could have been the "celebration" subforum), in the member list, even as a direct URL (but without the important "X"!)... nothing.

After Wing and lots of people hinted that the town square was hidden in plain sight, I looked at all the pages again and again. Without success for a long time. Finally I noticed that *** (town) square. AAAAAAAAHH!!! The rest was easy.

Please share your pain...

KoboldPatrol Wrote: Please share your pain...

I blocked out most of my painful memories. But I tried a large number of variations of: "weshallconquertheworld", "tadpoleon", and "townsquare" (e.g. capitalisations, combinations, with or without caps, etc.). Also tried some of the more common passwords I was told never to use...

KoboldPatrol Wrote: Now that The Quest is over, I can finally talk fully about it without taking away anybody's suspense.

Firstly – and I said this before but it doesn't hurt to repeat it – this was AWESOME! Thanks, Wing and company, for this great idea.

Secondly – this also has been said before – this was SO FRUSTRATING... that *** "town square" took me soooo long...

I guess that many others have a similar tale of pain, but it want to share mine:

As soon as I learned about the quest/event, I wrote a quick limerick for The Ferryman (link for those interested) and was taken across the river. The Ferryman gave me a hint about the wizard. I found The Wizard on the member list and tried to bribe him with a food-related PM because of the wording of his bio at that time ("You want to know how to unlock a door? That's a simple magic trick. Give me something to eat, and I'll teach it to you."), without knowing his real identity. Phew, I'm glad nothing bad happened to the empire, except for the alternate badge I received.

(Because I wanted to write a real poem as well, I did that too. It took me about three hours and I'm rather proud of it. I submitted it with my alt account and on The Ferryman's personal recommendation I shared it here)

The three locations across the river are where the pain started. I guessed/brute-forced the password for location1 rather easily, but there was nothing relevant. I was able to enter the third location from the start (like everybody else, because there was no password) and found nothing relevant there, but I noticed the strange URL and tried some other URLs. Thus I found "location3" – that URL has been removed by now – which apparently was a test version of location2 and which had most of the quest solution's content but not the [relevant wording]. I gave that info to The Guide and thought that I had solved The Quest. Later I found some hints on the forum that there should be many more pages to click through, so I continued trying.

Location2 thwarted me, I tried dozens of passwords, including "opensesame" and "kickindoor" and similar ideas. I don't know why I didn't try the correct password. I searched for the Town Square on the forums (Roman forum = center of the town/city, this looked so obvious; "join the celebrating in the town square" could have been the "celebration" subforum), in the member list, even as a direct URL (but without the important "X"!)... nothing.

After Wing and lots of people hinted that the town square was hidden in plain sight, I looked at all the pages again and again. Without success for a long time. Finally I noticed that *** (town) square. AAAAAAAAHH!!! The rest was easy.

Please share your pain...

a fellow traitor, nice to see another badge like that!
it's only seven of us, united through combat
i did exactly the same thing as you, we're quite lucky
it's one of the rarest badges anyone will see!
DrakanWine

Ah, the latest replies were fun to read! 
I'm glad you guys had fun playing the game.   peogiggle

I fear since this one's trick became known, the next one would be far too obvious for all... 
I have to think of more tricks. Or more wickedry to keep everyone frustrated so that once they figure it out, they would feel even more delighted. 

Ploopie Wrote:
KoboldPatrol Wrote: I guess that many others have a similar tale of pain, but it want to share mine:
I was on mobile. Getting on the train. As I put my phone into my pocket my thumb accidentally pressed that thingy before the 'quest two'. Easiest quest of my life.
I might be jealous... very, very jealous...🤬

Still, congrats on figuring it out in your own way. I need to probably try something like that as I realise I am terrible at these kinds of things.