Short, medium or long chapters. What do you prefer.

The question for today is what the preference is for the average reader on the forums.

Would you rather see:
Many short chapters
A few medium length chapters
Or very few long chapters.

For the purposes of keeping bias out of it we’ll assume that total word volume stays the same and that images, word boxes and any other cosmetics such as chapter notations don’t add anything meaningful or are otherwise the same across the board. 

We’ll also assume that the entirety off the word volume is posted at the same time. So factors such as upload times have no influence.

With that being said I’m curious what people’s preferences are. I myself like medium long chapters much more than I do short chapters.

Re: Short, medium or long chapters. What do you prefer.

Verlin Wrote: Generally on RR if you have 1000 word chapters with daily relaeses it works and will net you high viewership.
Anything less than daily or 5 a week needs longer, 3,500 word like chapters.

The aim should be to Writathon each month-55,555 words in five weeks or 11,111 in a week.
Now that is next to impossible for most, so just do it the best you can
Intent wasn’t to see what is best for viewership more so it was about what people on the forums liked on average. Already have an established chapter length so I’m not really looking to change that either.

I appreciate the hustle though.

Verlin Wrote: Anything less than daily or 5 a week needs longer, 3,500 word like chapters.
Hey, it's me!

Personally, I prefer to read shorter chapters as a lot of the stories here often extend scenes far beyond what they need to be to make a longer chapter. I've seen some fictions extend scenes into even several chapters, a dance lasting 4 chapters was the most I saw of one scene being extended far beyond my liking. 
If I could choose at my will, it'd be a long chapter with several things happening within it. If your chapters=scenes, I'd prefer much shorter chapters.

If the content of the story is the same and the only difference is how that content is divided and in how many chapters, then for me, the longer the chapter the better. I long so much for a button to exist that would merge all chapters in one page so I can read it all without interruptions of having to click the Next Chapter button. It’s not a problem when the chapters are longer, but when my immersion is broken every minute, it’s like my brain is reset every time and I’m brought back to reality, only for it to happen again when I get back into it by the end of next chapter.

And I’m not going to read chapters that are that short as they release, there just isn’t enough content to read, I’ll wait a few days or weeks for chapters to pile up, and when I try reading, I am reminded why I don’t like short chapters again.

Recently I stopped reading stories if they have chapters that are shorter than 2.5k words, unless the story is just too good to pass by. I just can’t enjoy them. But I don’t fault authors for releasing chapters like that. Frequent releases are among the best ways to get new readers, but those stories are just not for me.

I know there are ways to convert chapters into an epub file and that way everything would be without breaks, but it’s too much effort for my lazy ass to bother with.

It depends on the chapter quality. My opinion is always quality over quantity and I enjoy all different lengths a long as they flow naturally. Short chapters that aren't rushed to finish or have details cut that should have been there and long chapters that drag on when they could've ended pages ago are equally as frustrating and the quality is lowered because of their forced length. I find that it's harder to ignore the lack of quality with a long chapter that drags on, perhaps because you have time to get bored. When a short chapter is rushed, you finish it without much of a waste, but a long chapter that should've been cut down slows down the novel and (as harsh as it sounds) feels like a waste of time when you finish it.

Because of this, I suppose I prefer shorter chapters if there's a high chance the length of each chapter was planned to begin with. If I know for a fact that the author doesn't force a certain word count or length, then I enjoy long chapters as much as I enjoy short ones.

I used to say, definitively, short chapters for web fiction and nothing else, because I lost my place easily in longer chapter fictions whenever I needed to take a break in the middle. However, it usually only takes a few seconds to catch back up and I kinda like the way longer chapters flow, especially when you get these big meaty anime episode-length chunks like Katalepsis or RE Trailer Trash. So I'm not even sure which I prefer anymore. Depends on the pace of the story, really.

I prefer medium chapters. Too short chapters irk me since I feel that the flow of the story gets broken. Too long chapters scare me, especially if there is no option to mark where I have stopped reading. Now, my definition of a medium chapter is 2-3k words. Depending on how well written it is, 5k can also pass but any longer than that and it misses the sweet spot for me. 
(Just to clarify, this is my preference for online reads. Paper books are a different thing.)

I also prefer medium chapter. 2000-2500 is that SWEET spot for me. 

But. As a writer. I don't worry about the length of my chapter. I end the chapter where the curtin falls in my mind to prep for the next opening act, if that makes sense. So, if I don't reach a satisfactory chapter end, I will continue to write until I do. Lmao. I also hate breaking up scenes that could've been in one chapter.