LITRPG STATS and items?

i always found it kinda weird how a character will lets say have 10 strength at the beginning and be a regular person, but then after getting 150 strength their body looks the exact same? but i especiallly find the idea of a weapon increasing a character's strength weird. so if a chracter with 10 strnegth helld an axe with 100 strength, their muscles woud get 10 times bigger? what??? 

Re: LITRPG STATS and items?

that does seem to be the case. but even then, if a character that had 5 strength held a sword that gave +100 strength, if they punched someone with their spare hand would that do 105 damage? 

which is why im thinking that if i was to write a litrpg i'd rather give items sharpness stats, durability stats, weight stats, etc. as opposed to strength stats because I struggle to imagine how it'd work otherwise. most litrpgs tend to hand wave it, but am i the only one who finds that really bizarre? 

I agree with tfisb. It completely depends on the mechanics of the litrpg story. If the person is holding the sword that gives him 100 strength, then he hits with a magical 100 strength with his other hand. Sheath the sword and he is at strength 5. Unless of course, the sword has strength-enhancing nanites. Then the strength could be permanent depending on the nanites.

It absolutely depends on YOU, the author, and how you want things to work. 

But look at regular fantasy stories, superhero comics, myths and legends for some inspiration.

There was a knight of camalot whos strength grew greater up until noon. Doubtful he got bigger and bigger.
Lots of superheroes get stronger as they get bigger.
Asterix drinks and magic potion and looks the same.

There is no "doesn't make sense" since there is nothing here connected to reality...unless that is the story you want to write. 

In mine, going from 0 STR to 3 STR means the character puts on some muscle, looks a bit larger. A ring that gives STR would do nothing for his look, he'd just be stronger.

It all really depends on the story. If it all takes place within a videogame, there's no issue. If it takes place in the real world, I've seen all sorts of ways of handling it:
  • Have people bulk up
  • Don't do stats at all
  • Don't have stats scale linearly in effect
I'd agree it is often handled poorly, or not fully thought through. Can that same character who lifted a dragon really type on a normal keyboard? It'd be like typing on something made of spun sugar. 

That's one reason I am personally largely keeping stats "hidden" in Apocalypse Parenting. I feel like the actual numbers rarely add much to a story, as long as you understand that improvement occurred.

I don't know how other people do it, by my world weapons give percent multipliers to stats used to wield them as well as providing damage tags that are more effective against defenses. 

A simple example would be that something like a dagger might give a +20% bonus to stats used to stab with it and give the Piercing damage type. Higher quality weapons will vary the percent multipliers slightly, and the material constructed will change the maximum and minimum stats that can be put through the weapon before it breaks or is useless. In my world someone with inordinate strength can easily break a sword by hitting someone hard enough to snap the steel. Which is why weak weapons are mostly useless for very strong characters. Most of this is behind the scenes system work, but some very powerful skills let people take a peek and the numbers which is enough to get the idea circulating if not the precise numbers on all things. 

So weapons don't add to stats, tools offer multipliers for stats, just like skills do.

I actually don’t like things like strength constitution etc. They create in my opinion unnecessarily power creep. I’ll explain let’s say you have mister stabbyface, he wants to kill the protagonist so he stabs him in the back. With nuts constitution the protagonist will barely take any damage. Where if skills only level and he got better gear he’d probably be screw anyway. So the protagonist needs to be wary of all enemies.

Atheos Wrote: I actually don’t like things like strength constitution etc. They create in my opinion unnecessarily power creep. I’ll explain let’s say you have mister stabbyface, he wants to kill the protagonist so he stabs him in the back. With nuts constitution the protagonist will barely take any damage. Where if skills only level and he got better gear he’d probably be screw anyway. So they protagonist needs to be wary of all enemies.

Interestingly enough there were a few LitRPGs that dealt with this through status conditions like "Bleeding" or "Organ Damage (Major)" That could and would inflict percentage health loss even against those with stupidly high vitality. The idea was that vitality insulated you from smaller mundane attacks and that you would only really be felled by something major happening to you. High vitality characters were nearly impossible to kill with a thousand cuts or to run them into exhaustion, but they would still be killed by a dagger in the heart or a sword in the neck. 

I thought it was a unique way to address the idea of the million hp tank vs the ten hp commoner discrepancy.