Re: [DISC] Should I stop writing my webnovel?

There's always a fall-off after the first chapter, as people check out the story to see if it's something they might be interested in. You're way too early to judge whether people will want to read the story. You need to continue posting more chapters over a longer period of time. And a lot of people won't start a story until it has a significant number of chapters posted.

If you believe in the story, then keep writing it--for yourself or for practice, if nothing else.

===

However, you should also make sure you're promoting the story to the type of people who will be interested in reading this sort of story. Personally, I was turned off by the synopsis and title. Do you want my thoughts here? I can't say if other people will have the same reactions I did. Other readers might like the parts that I don't like, so changing these things isn't a guarantee of any sort of improvement.

But let me go through my immediate reactions anyway, and you can decide:

1. Title: "Nexumon" doesn't mean anything. (this by itself isn't necessarily a problem, but when combined with other factors...)

2. Title: "Reconstructed monster" makes it sound like a progression fantasy where a monster is the main character, but then the synopsis suggests the story is about a group of schoolchildren battling monsters. So you draw in a specific crowd (fans of non-human protagonists) with that title, then you turn them away with the synopsis.

3. Cover: The cover is just some buildings (?) at night. It's dark and uninformative, without anything to draw in potential readers.

4. Tag: "Gore", Synopsis: "A group of schoolchildren...". I'm gonna nope on out of here at this point. I probably wouldn't even read the rest of the synopsis. The greater the distance you can put between "gore" and "schoolchildren", the better. Preferably different stories entirely.

5. Synopsis: "Following these children over the course of 25 years, the rise and fall of several communities, and the psycological evolution of those students": This sentence is also a big turn-off. Try rewriting the entire synopsis to be character-driven. What is it about these characters that will make people want to read about them? It's almost certainly not their psychological evolution over the course of 25 years.

6. Synopsis: "deconstructionist" is going to be another big turn-off for people. First question: What do you mean by it? Second question: Is it necessary to include it here? Third question: Can you even *write* something with a deconstructionist take? I thought deconstruction was for reading and textual analysis ... and it's certainly not the sort of analysis that would make me interested in reading it. (I may be showing my ignorance of deconstruction here, but if you're gonna put it in the synopsis, you'll need to sell people on it who aren't familiar with the concept.)

I haven't read the story, so I can't make any comments on the content itself, but if I was looking for a new story to read, the list above would prevent me from looking any further. If you can fix or alter some of those things, you may be able to draw in more potential readers.

One final note. The chapters are short, about a thousand words each. That's not necessarily bad, but when potential readers are deciding which stories to read, they'll often look at page count rather than chapter count, which means you'll need more chapters posted than usual before you might start picking up readers. I don't know if there's a specific page count most people are looking for, but if so, it's well above 18. Probably in the hundreds somewhere.

I hope this helps!

those are normal numbers early in the adventure
my book as gained and lost many a novel reader
my first chapter has over 900 hundred views to date
recent chapters get around fifty, i guess it's fate 
peodead
until you hit fifty chapters, numbers don't matter
just focus on writing the next awesome new chapter
many people wait until it's long enough to binge
if you love it, write it, don't let numbers make you cringe 
DrakanWine

BookerErikson Wrote: Hello everybody! I'm a new writer, and was wanting an experience that would fuel my creative spirit and give me feedback to help me advance my skills. I thought that a webnovel would be a great option. I enjoyed stories like Worm and Ruby Quest, love fantasy, and thought publishing per chapter would be an excellent way to keep myself focused on writing. So, I made a Royal Road account and created my webnovel. ([color=var(--newCommunityTheme-linkText)]https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47567/nexumon-reconstructed-monster)[/color]

Looking at my views after the first week, it starts well, with 32 on the prologue and first chapter. Then, however, it begins to drop off slowly with each chapter. I chose a webnovel because readers would be able to comment or give criticism as the work is being written, but I haven't received any comments yet. Is this a symptom of me releasing a chapter a day? Or is it a fundamental drop in quality, or the story just not being interesting?

Lastly, should I stop writing this webnovel, and start a new one? I'd hate to, but if it's a lost cause, it'd be better to try again with what i've learned.

Thank you all!
I don't think you should quit a story based on stats or anyone else's opinion, because those things are inevitably out of your control. It doesn't matter how well you write or how amazing your story is on Royal Road or in the publishing industry, it will always have haters or people that are heavily disinterested. 

"  it begins to drop off slowly with each chapter. I chose a webnovel because readers would be able to comment or give criticism as the work is being written, but I haven't received any comments yet. "

Yeah, it's highly unlikely you'll receive many comments unless your cover is either an anime character or your title is, in some form, a reincarnation. This site loves those two elements, from what I can gather, regardless if you're Stephen King or seven-year-old Timmy from down the street. 

So, honestly, keep writing it. Once you hit like a thousand pages readers flock to it, or if you simply add in one of the two elements I've already mentioned (my friend tested this for herself btw). 

For feedback: Why not engage in a review swap? There are plenty of opportunities to gain feedback from readers, though it's not always positive, so be wary of that. As long as it helps you improve, then it's good. If it's vague and too summed-up, then feel free to ignore it. 

" Tag: "Gore", Synopsis: "A group of schoolchildren...". I'm gonna nope on out of here at this point. I probably wouldn't even read the rest of the synopsis. The greater the distance you can put between "gore" and "schoolchildren", the better. Preferably different stories entirely."

*tilts glasses* I would disagree with this. If you're someone that likes to break the barrier of what is generally accepted among the writing community, even if it means breaking hearts and forcefully declaring your beliefs, then go for it. Oftentimes, it's more interesting than all the safe works out there, especially in the horror genre. And this thoroughly interests me as a horror fan, even if your book isn't a horror. This idea will probably get a lot of attention. 

" A group of schoolchildren are forced to ally with strange supernatural creatures after they are transported to a surreal, abandoned parallel universe. Following these children over the course of 25 years, the rise and fall of several communities, and the psycological evolution of those students, Nexumon is a deconstructionist modern take on the monster battling genre that aims to answer one question:"

Could probably rewrite this. It's like the passive voice of storytelling. Try to make the opening line of your blurb a sum-up of what your novel is all about, and make it interesting, no doubt. If you can't, then you likely don't understand your story well enough. If you can, then do it. 

" What happens when all we have left are the connections we make?"

Now I despise questions in blurbs. They remind me of those irreverent movie trailers from the '70s that weren't even meant to take themselves seriously. Plus I have no idea what the question even asks. 

I think your cover is decent, although very simple. Probably not going to gain more traction than an anime picture anytime soon. 

Just look at Ivy's succulent covers. That's what I like to see personally. 

Also your story is very new. Like very new. And you've done no swaps (I don't think), so there's not much room for viewership unless you have some sort of niche to which you could cater. Reincarnation, anime pictures, the colour red... That sort of stuff. 

Also, it's twenty-five*, not 25. I'm not having it. Anyone that writes the digits of numbers less than 100 is a menace to society. 

All in all, write it. If you don't want to write it down the line, whenever that may be, then move on to something else, though try your best to finish stories. After a while, you'll become more aware of what you're writing and you'll eventually see the errors of your ways, and all at once the erupting circle of sadness and "what am I doing?" will ebb slowly yet dangerously closer as you contemplate your writing career. And then you'll start again, better, and the process will continue until you publish your first book, and then your second, and then your third, and then you'll wear a pair of glasses because all the computer time wore away at your eyes, and then you'll be soaking in millions. 

Okay maybe not the last part, but you can definitely expect to get better, and you'll probably endure ups and downs. You'll probably get some bad, bordering-on-offensive reviews and may even hand out a few yourself; isn't that the fun of it all?  DrakanFix

If you want to improve as a writer. I think you need to learn a basic lesson above anything else.

Finish what you start.

The moment you start letting yourself stop writing a story because you set expectation that are different from reality, you are never to learn much. If this is your first novel. Learn to write a novel, ignore the numbers, You will drive yourself crazy while walking down the road of discouragement. 

Set your expectations low and reasonable when you first start.

The truth is, web fiction, while it can be a good way to get people to see your work, is not a place where you a guaranteed readers. And those readers will comment or critique your story by the dozens.

On this community particular, you probably shouldn't expect much until you are a good 15+ chapters in. A lot of stories get abandoned here, readers are wary of that sort of thing. So you have to stick it out. 

BookerErikson Wrote: it starts well, with 32 on the prologue and first chapter. Then, however, it begins to drop off slowly with each chapter.
I can't see any of your stats as it seems you pulled a lot of your story off the site. But those are normal numbers, my user retention from Chap 0 to the current chapter is around 17.3%. The more chapters/pages/words your story has the higher the numbers get as many readers wait until X amount until they even bother reading a fiction. Having a wider presence within the forums also helps, since people will see your fiction in your signature or possibly agree with your comments and decide to give your story a go.

IvyVerita Wrote: 4. Tag: "Gore", Synopsis: "A group of schoolchildren...". I'm gonna nope on out of here at this point. I probably wouldn't even read the rest of the synopsis. The greater the distance you can put between "gore" and "schoolchildren", the better. Preferably different stories entirely.

everyone and his tastes, but, lord of the flies and flashpoint paradox want to have a word with you outside the bar.

emperor Wrote: everyone and his tastes, but, lord of the flies and flashpoint paradox want to have a word with you outside the bar.

People didn't like lord of the flies when it came out though. Just 4k+ copies on the first year sold and wasn't even reprinted iirc. It took awhile for people to think it was good. Flashpoint paradox is good already. DC had already done many dark themed stories at that point so flashpoint wasn't breaking the mold or anything. Flashpoint comics had good reception as the intro to the new 52 change so the film adaptation flashpoint paradox was very safe. 

People have their tastes, that's why someone preparing to go against it should be ready for the negative reaction. Like in my case, I wrote a psychopath MC that's more like a real psychopath instead of pop culture depiction. Webnovel mainstream depiction of psychopath is OP MC psychotic killer in a revenge story, and oh boy did my story get pummeled when readers realized I wasn't going the revenge and kill lots of people route. Webnovel writers planning to break away from mainstream tastes should be prepared for the pushback. 

BookerErikson Wrote: Hello everybody! I'm a new writer, and was wanting an experience that would fuel my creative spirit and give me feedback to help me advance my skills. I thought that a webnovel would be a great option. I enjoyed stories like Worm and Ruby Quest, love fantasy, and thought publishing per chapter would be an excellent way to keep myself focused on writing. So, I made a Royal Road account and created my webnovel. ([color=var(--newCommunityTheme-linkText)]https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/47567/nexumon-reconstructed-monster)[/color]

Looking at my views after the first week, it starts well, with 32 on the prologue and first chapter. Then, however, it begins to drop off slowly with each chapter. I chose a webnovel because readers would be able to comment or give criticism as the work is being written, but I haven't received any comments yet. Is this a symptom of me releasing a chapter a day? Or is it a fundamental drop in quality, or the story just not being interesting?

Lastly, should I stop writing this webnovel, and start a new one? I'd hate to, but if it's a lost cause, it'd be better to try again with what i've learned.

Thank you all!
Don't give up! You just need to take it slow and try to compose a steady schedule, the best thing you can do if your aren't receiving as many views or comments is to be active within the forums if you aren't posting chapters consistently.
Sincerely, T.K Paradox