Re: Where are you posting about your web fiction or story to attract readers?

Timothy Wrote: Anyone reaching out and trying to attract new readers from places other than RR?

Are there any specific groups/pages/communities/forums that people are posting in? Perhaps ones specifically open to web fiction?

I'll create a list here if there isn't one elsewhere. 

Reddit
r/litrpg
Honestly, I did that before. Though, it is really just a hassle, and the other platforms ain’t really worth the effort. Though, I suppose I did see a surge here in Royal Road, and someone who went to Wattpad.

After I pulled my book on Scribblehub, due to it being an experimental ground. The exact next day, my views here shot up, and some went to Wattpad. 

If anything, it might be worth putting out a sample, then directing others to the site you will be on.

I guess if you can get a following on social media, it can be beneficial.

I kind of get a cheat because I write fanfiction. I have joined a few writing pages on FB along with fan pages for my fandoms.  When I have a new chapter I post them there. It doesn't draw in droves... But enough. 

Also I post on Wattpad, Webnovel, and Quotev, along with FFN and AO3... And now I post here as well. Seems greedy... But I figure the larger net you cast the more readers you get.

Shylowdeath Wrote: Also I post on Wattpad, Webnovel, and Quotev, along with FFN and AO3... And now I post here as well. Seems greedy...
Being curious myself I decided to look up Webnovel (I already know I would get 0 interaction on Wattpad) and wow. Just doing a brief skim, it's pretty clear by the novel meta that if I tried uploading my work there it would do even worse than it does here.  DrakanSweat

But quotev seems interesting. I'll have to check it out.

Quote:But I figure the larger net you cast the more readers you get.
I agree with this, I recently had a "pep talk" where a friend of mine beat this concept into my brain. The more eyes that see your work the better, you just have to be careful about which platform you use.

Shylowdeath Wrote: True... Wattpad... It's been dead for like months (at least for me) and Webnovel gets "views" but not much interaction. Quotev is pretty good though and you can see who is reading what chapter. Kinda fun stats.

I tried WebNovel for two days, until I realized they were just faking the views. You get 6-8 new views every time you punch the Refresh button.

I went to bed for ten hours, got up, and hit Refresh. I had 8 more views since the last time I'd Refreshed, ten hours before.

Then I Refreshed again, and got another seven. Another Refresh, and eight more.

* Romulan Voice * IT'S A FAAAAAAAAKE

Nathan Wrote:
Shylowdeath Wrote: True... Wattpad... It's been dead for like months (at least for me) and Webnovel gets "views" but not much interaction. Quotev is pretty good though and you can see who is reading what chapter. Kinda fun stats.

I tried WebNovel for two days, until I realized they were just faking the views. You get 6-8 new views every time you punch the Refresh button.

I went to bed for ten hours, got up, and hit Refresh. I had 8 more views since the last time I'd Refreshed, ten hours before.

Then I Refreshed again, and got another seven. Another Refresh, and eight more.

* Romulan Voice * IT'S A FAAAAAAAAKE

I still worry the same about the view count on RR. I dunno, at times it seems weird and I suspect bots...

I tried webnovel but it's very shady and alot of the stuff there seems to stolen from other sites or pirated, others are horribly translated and the rest seem decent. 

I post here because tbh this is one of the more active sites for writing now, RR is at it's peak currently in my opinion activity wise compared to when I joined. So many sites have hit their slump and this is the best opportunity I feel for alot of genres. 

Ao3 I also post on due to writing fantiction for nearly 5 years. I just update whenever on their as I also have fanfics finish. Not many reads but then again ao3 Original Fiction has very specific genres. 

Wattpad my older stories are on but it died hard, it's a shell of what it was 2015 - 2017 and most of the authors I read on there moved here, tapas or gave up on writing. 

I cross-post my story on Spacebattles and Scribblehub. I do/did get referrals as a result from Spacebattles but very little actual readership there. Scribblehub has been okay in readership, but hard to say if I get any referrals there. 

For a while, I did promote my story on r/writing on its weekly self-promotion thread, but the lack of referrals tells me there hasn't been any exposure there. I posted on RR's subreddit once and got some ok updoots and encouraging comments from that.

I post chapter updates on No Sleep Till Bookdun discord, but there you have to be engaged in the community with a certain msg count before you are eligible to promote yourself, and you can only post updates once a week. Referrals are disabled for discord links so it's difficult to say if I get any referrals there.

Other than Bookdun, I occasionally post links to new chapters in other discords (writing or not) that aren't as strict with promo guidelines. Just for the sake of letting people know, does it help? No idea.

I also use my Twitter whenever I release updates. Impressions can vary, sometimes it vary from month to month. Actual tweet impressions can be as high as 10 for a typical chapter. Actual engagements in the form of link clicks and profile clicks can be as low as 0% and as high as 0.01%. If I happen to post art I commissioned that gets retweeted by that artist, I might get 10k+ impressions and triple-digit engagements.

I feel really guilty writing my experience since it usually comes off as pessimistic and really grim haha, but I appreciate all the superficial tiny drips I get. 
FGC_Checkmate Wrote:
Haven't heard of Quotev. Is it populated?

Quotev is probably just as old as Wattpad. It started sometime in 2010-ish and it has an awkward forum community that I never did quite figure out how it works. It's the one site I never dipped my toes in, whereas I started posting on SH and RR instead.