Regarding Metrics for Non-Dominant Genres on RoyalRoad

Hey there general forum folks, as I near the end of my first book I can't help but glance at the metrics (too often, I might add) and wonder:

For those of you who write fiction that doesn't belong to the predominant genres on RoyalRoad (like GameLit, LitRPG, Isekai, progression stories, etc.), do you notice an uptick in your metrics after your fictions crossed a certain binge-worthy threshold? Or do you usually find that your metrics stagnate after long enough?

Also, I was curious if anyone else ever gets days where they get a significant amount of page views, but beyond that no interaction? Are there bots that will just stumble on your fiction and go through all the pages to artificially inflate view counts? Or do I just have shit retention? (I'm thinking that second one.)

Re: Regarding Metrics for Non-Dominant Genres on RoyalRoad

Mai Wrote:
Thedude3445 Wrote: They say 1,000 pages is a sweet spot where tons of readers will start hopping on to binge. I haven't seen evidence of it though.
If this is true, I'm doomed since my main story isn't even going to hit that length before ending. DrakanSweat Good thing I'm writing my story more for the sake of just writing it than anything else.
I planned to cut off short story updates at the end of my first book soon, but welp. Guess I will have to keep that going for some time, the rest of my series would be well though. Since the rewrites are estimated to reach about 1000 pages. Though, I guess my shorter individual works are dead, since their range are incredibly less.

To be honest, I never saw the appeal of things going on too long. After a certain point, quality goes down no matter what. If you think it is tiring to keep writing, and pushing out some kind of work. It is even more terrible to keep writing, and ensuring in maintaining a similar tone as the rest of the story. 😐

That aside, editing of my first book has shaved off 4k words, or about 14 pages. Wasn’t trying to cut, I just didn’t see a need for the words. So yeah, I am further away from 1000 pages.  DrakanLaugh

Maybe I should hurry up and write the iguana detective story, that’ll buy me some time. 😂

Turiya Wrote: While I haven't seen any odd jumps in metrics, in looking into this just now I noticed that many of the recent referrals to one of my fictions were from searches involving 400- 300- or 100-page minimums, with 300 being the most common. More length may end up equaling more exposure.
Setting aside my confirmation bias for the moment, this would explain the (relative, can't stress that enough) increase in views I've gotten lately. It started on and off about two or so weeks ago, which was around when I crossed the 300 page mark.

Maybe I'll have another boost to look forward to when I surpass 400.  DrakanThinking

1000 pages is around 300,000 words, I just passed it a few days week ago, and that 1.5 volumes. It's not that

Ultimately litrpg's are like big macs, people go to mcdonalds to get them. Sometimes they'll get nuggets, sometimes they'll get quarter pounder, but its always going to be behind a big mac. Try not to worry about it, it's counterproductive 

Ten readers that tell you what they think are worth 100 that don't 

FourPin Wrote: 1000 pages is around 300,000 words, I just passed it a few days week ago, and that 1.5 volumes. It's not that

Ultimately litrpg's are like big macs, people go to mcdonalds to get them. Sometimes they'll get nuggets, sometimes they'll get quarter pounder, but its always going to be behind a big mac. Try not to worry about it, it's counterproductive 

Ten readers that tell you what they think are worth 100 that don't
Yep, then they die of a heart attack, realizing just before that they shoulda had a salad.  DrakanLaugh

Zeepolian Wrote:
Turiya Wrote: While I haven't seen any odd jumps in metrics, in looking into this just now I noticed that many of the recent referrals to one of my fictions were from searches involving 400- 300- or 100-page minimums, with 300 being the most common. More length may end up equaling more exposure.
Setting aside my confirmation bias for the moment, this would explain the (relative, can't stress that enough) increase in views I've gotten lately. It started on and off about two or so weeks ago, which was around when I crossed the 300 page mark.

Maybe I'll have another boost to look forward to when I surpass 400.  DrakanThinking
Gotta also look out for persistent readers. I recently have someone who looked through 58 pages of recent updates before they found me. Jeez, not even I am that persistent, and I tracked down the mirror site that stole my work and ensure it got taken down.  DrakanLaugh

Since then, haven’t had my work copied fortunately.

I've actually been a bit surprised at how steady my metrics have been. My story is about 1500 pages; it's been on both the ongoing and completed lists; it's been on the rising stars lists for several genres for a period of time; it's gone through all sorts of things that you might think would change the amount of eyes that get put on it. 

But nope. Regardless of what happens, except for the occasional spike, views seem pretty steady. I pretty reliably gain just under 20 new followers a month. Not much seems to change it. 

One weird thing I have noticed lately, though - I'm getting WAY more hits from people apparently directly searching for my story on google, now. It is is in fact my number one source of hits, both off-site and on. I don't know what that means. 

I've stagnated/hit a moderate plateau for most of the year. At the beginning of this month, I was really, really lucky with getting dibs on a MelasD shout-out and that boosted my confidence/followers by a whole 25~30 people earlier this month to about 207 followers. My favorites and ratings still aren't doing so hot though.

I'm hovering around about 344k words in 95 chapters, or something like 1.2k pages split into 3 volumes so far. This totals out to about 48k views for a fiction that's about a year and a half old now. I've now had the average chapter views creep up to 90-100 up to around chapter 89.

Overall, there are fictions in my genre that are just as successful around the same publication period so it's difficult for me to say I'm moderately successful at least in my genre. Sci-fi is cramped as hell, but at least in space opera I think I'm doing OK than the average fiction—in the top 15 at least in my eyes.