Does anyone write weirdly long things but decide it's too long to post?

The topic.

Forum posts and comments sometimes just get really long, and I feel like that sort of thing is not always appreciated? And then poof. Just like that, it's gone because you decided not to post.

What's the proper decorum for this sort of thing? Especially for the comments on stories, what do you think? Do authors want an essay analyzing character, world-building, small logic flaw, and weirdly detailed grammar explanations, or is it totally not appreciated?

Those are my specialties. Naturally, flaws tend to earn more analysis because it already pulled me out of the story anyway. When everything is sound with me, I usually give short comments so that I can carry on reading more. I feel like I need to do this more for when I like things too....

Re: Does anyone write weirdly long things but decide it's too long to post?

kieranpierce Wrote: Do authors want an essay analyzing character, world-building, small logic flaw, and weirdly detailed grammar explanations, or is it totally not appreciated?
Depends on the author. I personally love essay comments and corrections, but there are others who can't stand them. I'm inclined to just post anyway, and if they want to ignore the suggestions that's up to them. As long as you're polite about it and not cursing or accusing, it should be fine imo.

i think any writing should be structured and concise
having an intro that sums things up is always nice
think of it like any essay you would write for school
intro, point one, point two, point three, conclusion... it's cool!
DrakanWine
that, or have a 'tldr' somewhere near the top
when i see a wall of text i very rarely stop
if it's well organized i will sit and read it all
but i can't read word soup when it's stacked seven miles tall
PeoReading

I do like reading long essays if it's a topic I'm interested in. Comments regarding my story would fulfill that criterium, I guess. 😄
But I've also deleted posts after rereading and realizing that I don't really want to participate in a conversation or when I have the feeling that I'm not really contributing anything helpful.

On Belletristica, the writing platform I publish most of my German fiction, you can select a feedback level which is shown at the top of the comment section. It tells the readers if the author likes to get comments at all and which kind of feedback they'd like to see.

Acusiont Wrote: Personally, I would love this kind of comment/review. It's better than getting no comment, at the very least.
Oh, yeah! This is what I always personally think, anyway! 

Actually, I'm really excited because a series of comments with a healthy combo of rant and analysis from a reader has helped me contextualize what I want to be the theme for my story, at least for this prologue book that I have going on. The theme in turn will help me solidify the MC's characterization which I have been struggling with since story inception. Basically, I'm so hype to rewrite the beginning again!

I wouldn't have made those connections if I didn't have someone calling me on my BS, so I feel like longer comments are super helpful, even if reading a bunch of constructive criticism / straight-up criticism isn't necessarily as dopamine-inducing in the moment as quippy, positive comments. 

1moreindakitchen Wrote: On Belletristica, the writing platform I publish most of my German fiction, you can select a feedback level which is shown at the top of the comment section. It tells the readers if the author likes to get comments at all and which kind of feedback they'd like to see.
That's actually an awesome feature!  peoYes I feel like that could do a lot to help differentiate between people who might actually want feedback and people who don't really care at all. 

Actually, I like it when people post things like that in either their bio or description. I've specifically given more worthwhile feedback because I saw authors were looking for it before, and since added one to my fiction page. I have yet to see if that generates more, much-needed criticism.  DrakanAngry

AlexaLee Wrote: Personally, I would love to get comments and messages like that because it shows that people are engaged and thinking about my work but I do also know of some authors who don't like it.

I wonder if the forum authors would skew more towards the engagement point of view. We are active on the forums, after all...!

kieranpierce Wrote: Actually, I like it when people post things like that in either their bio or description. I've specifically given more worthwhile feedback because I saw authors were looking for it before, and since added one to my fiction page. I have yet to see if that generates more, much-needed criticism.

Most of the feedback at RR I got from the two review swaps I did. But there was one (pure?) reader who actually left helpful comments as well. I have a note at the start and the end of my first chapter, that I'd like to see comments also pointing out mistakes, but comments are scarce for me at RR. It is kinda funny that I might have more views here when "Wave" is finished, but way fewer comments than at other platforms. But I think it is as you say, authors will most likely engage more and might have a better feeling/knowledge of what might be off in a story. Readers just wanna read most of the time. It also kind of destroys your immersion, if you have to comment after each chapter.

kieranpierce Wrote: The topic.

Forum posts and comments sometimes just get really long, and I feel like that sort of thing is not always appreciated? And then poof. Just like that, it's gone because you decided not to post.

What's the proper decorum for this sort of thing? Especially for the comments on stories, what do you think? Do authors want an essay analyzing character, world-building, small logic flaw, and weirdly detailed grammar explanations, or is it totally not appreciated?

Those are my specialties. Naturally, flaws tend to earn more analysis because it already pulled me out of the story anyway. When everything is sound with me, I usually give short comments so that I can carry on reading more. I feel like I need to do this more for when I like things too....
Thank you, someone who finally made this thread. I have been meaning to get this off of my chest.

I just look at it, then decide to delete it and walk away.  DrakanLaugh

And yes, flaws tend to earn more comments, since well. Peeps just like to bring others down, take that away from them, and they tend to stay quiet. Just look at Facebook, they monetize based on toxicity. 

TL;DR - In other writing groups and spaces I've been in, it was usually to only give constructive criticism when asked.  

If you're not sure, ask.  And if they say yes, ask them to specify what sort of crit they are looking for.  

The reason being that for the majority of writers, improvement doesn't come from unsolicited comments from random internet strangers.  Crits are only helpful if they come from someone the writer knows and trusts.  Workshops and groups are really popular for a lot of writers because you get to know the other writers and instructors.  You know what their writing background is, you know what their reading and writing preferences are, and you start to understand how to give them crits that they will accept and they figure out how to give you crits that will be useful to you.  There is no one size fits all model for crits.

If you can build a rapport with someone or a small group and ask them to review, that's generally more beneficial to you than stranger claiming to be an expert on something sending you an unsolicited 250 word review or comment.  With the people you know and trust to give you feedback, you are more willing to listen and know that their feedback isn't coming from a place of ill-intent.  That being said, if you think they'd only give you shallow praise and not be honest, then find a different person to give you feedback.  

As for unsolicited crits, the writer has to do some work to consider the crit useful and valid: is this person well-intentioned, what is their preferred writing style, what is their preferred story telling methods, do their preferences clash with mine (maybe someone really likes omniscient 3rd POV, but you only write in 1st - would that affect their reading and overall feedback); do they have a background in the genre that you'd consider helpful, etc.  Writers have a lot to do and consider; they shouldn't have to do additional work for every unsolicited crit they get. 

If you want the long, unsolicited crits, then I always tell people to let the readers know.  At the end of a chapter, in the notes, tell them you'd love to know what they think of particular scenes, on prose, on comedic timing or on whether they thought you captured the chaos immediately following the French Revolution well enough.  Encourage them and engage; do what you need to do to improve.  

But in my case, rather than wasting my time writing a long review and then fighting with myself about whether to post it or not, I would simply check if the writer wants it to begin with.  

Checking in and asking can also make you a new friend. :) 

And to be clear, long comments that are just randomly filled with excitement for the story make any writer happy, ngl.  If it makes you happy and you just want to tell me that it made you happy without any real feedback, then that's fine, too; I'm just glad you enjoyed it.  That may not immediately help me improve my writing, but it will encourage and motivate me to write. 

I'm not sure if this has been helpful, but it is what it is: a forum post that is long.  
DrakanWine

Aila, you win for typing up a long post and posting it! XD
(In all seriousness, I don't think that your post was unnecessarily long by any means. It was very informative about your past experience in providing commentary on other stories and a potential model in which to give feedback. I read everything that you wrote without feeling bored, anyway.)

Aila Wrote: But in my case, rather than wasting my time writing a long review and then fighting with myself about whether to post it or not, I would simply check if the writer wants it to begin with.
I hear this, and actually have considered it.... Except sometimes writers who say they want criticism take it just as unproductively as if it were unsolicited. Maybe I'll try it for a bit and see how it goes!

Admittedly, sometimes I enjoy the comments sections for its own sake. My favorite is when I get into analytical comment threads with other readers. It is the closest thing to a book club that I've been in, but then again, I don't even know if authors should be participating in that way on an author account or have a separate reader account all together....