Horror & Dark Fiction Review & Shout Out Swaps | Halloween Edition

Hello, writers of all things dark and spooky!

As you all know (or not, time has no meaning for some of us and that's good, too), Halloween is quickly approaching and I'd like to propose something to celebrate and promote the darker works of the website in this appropriate season: a review and shout out swap festival! 

All you have to do is "sign up" in this thread by saying you're interested and then keep a look out for people wanting / that you may want to swap reviews and shout outs with. In an ideal world, we'd all do it for each other, but time is an issue, sadly, and we may simply not click with a story, or it might have some content that we can't handle, so no hard feelings and no being a jerk if someone rejects you, please! Also, in the interest of making the thread easy to navigate and keeping all entries equally visible, please don't post huge images or chunks of text. Just a small introduction to your story and a link to it will suffice.

If any of you is also on Tapas (or interested in hopping over and getting started there), I'm organizing a similar event there, so let me know that in your reply and I'll add you to my list!

I'm starting things out by leaving my Epic Fantasy + Gothic Horror novel about seven friends who walked into Hell to seek power, but only six survived. Now kept locked, away from each other and used as unwilling soldiers, they plot to gain back their freedom and unveil the mysteries of their dying world, the one bleeding into it and the truth surrounding the loss of their friend.

Re: Horror & Dark Fiction Review & Shout Out Swaps | Halloween Edition

This sounds like a great idea! I hope mine is suitable, although it isn't particularly horrific - maybe gothic? I still feel it's at least halloween-adjacent. 

Beneath Within is a ghost story. A fantasy/mystery wherein ghosts and people's communion with them is the essence of the magic system. It is a stagnant world, buried underground. The undercity is ancient, and growing more putrid with decay unseen by living eyes. When a young noble, Arturri, is accused of murder and disconnected from the ancestral spirits, he is sent to the Church of Royals in penance. He vows to clear his name, and sets in motion a series of events that will change the history of the underground. 

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46881

Kathy Wrote: This sounds like a great idea! I hope mine is suitable, although it isn't particularly horrific - maybe gothic? I still feel it's at least halloween-adjacent. 

Beneath Within is a ghost story. A fantasy/mystery wherein ghosts and people's communion with them is the essence of the magic system. It is a stagnant world, buried underground. The undercity is ancient, and growing more putrid with decay unseen by living eyes. When a young noble, Arturri, is accused of murder and disconnected from the ancestral spirits, he is sent to the Church of Royals in penance. He vows to clear his name, and sets in motion a series of events that will change the history of the underground. 

Gothic totally fits, and it happens to be my favorite, so I would love to swap with you!

Crisyah Wrote:
Kathy Wrote: This sounds like a great idea! I hope mine is suitable, although it isn't particularly horrific - maybe gothic? I still feel it's at least halloween-adjacent. 

Gothic totally fits, and it happens to be my favorite, so I would love to swap with you!

Awesome! Sounds good! I've given you a shout-out in my latest chapter as well :)

Thank you so much for doing this! And thank you all for sharing your stories. 

Here's my gothic novel Obscurity. 

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46762/obscurity

Set amidst the wild palms of 1790s Louisiana, the widow St. Vincent appears in the wake of her husband's death the most wealthy plantation owner in the South. But strange occurrences ensue in her wake and the town becomes obsessed with their superstitions about her. As they attempt to unravel the widow's secrets, we find she knows something of their secrets as well and the philosophical underpinnings of their pasts all surface to haunt them all.

Kathy Wrote:
Crisyah Wrote:

Awesome! Sounds good! I've given you a shout-out in my latest chapter as well :)

Awww, thank you! I'm waiting on some shout outs I have lined up to get more readers in before I do mine, but I'll you to my list, as well!

novelleist Wrote: Thank you so much for doing this! And thank you all for sharing your stories. 

Here's my gothic novel Obscurity. 

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/46762/obscurity

Set amidst the wild palms of 1790s Louisiana, the widow St. Vincent appears in the wake of her husband's death the most wealthy plantation owner in the South. But strange occurrences ensue in her wake and the town becomes obsessed with their superstitions about her. As they attempt to unravel the widow's secrets, we find she knows something of their secrets as well and the philosophical underpinnings of their pasts all surface to haunt them all.

More gothic stories?! Be still my heart. I'd love to swap with you, as well!