Give me some tips!

So I restarted my novel and I want some tips on staying motivated.

Also here, have this.

Quote:By chance, while I was walking I heard a splash beneath my feet and felt a cold liquid hit the bottoms of my feet. As desperation over took me I practically fell to the ground and used my hands as a cup to drink the water. Only after my first gulp did I realize that the liquid was not water, but blood.

Re: Give me some tips!

Surface level motivation comes and goes. Find a deeper motivation that will keep you going through the dry spells, find people to encourage you through the dark slog that sometimes comes, and be willing to demand more of yourself or forgive yourself as the moment demands.

Write what you love, and when you don't love it at least try to remember why you did. I've gone through whole months of hating my story every chapter I write, only to emerge back into absolute love with no warning.

It's not always going to be easy, but it's worth doing.

Ariana Wrote: Imagine readers with torches and pitchforks waiting for the next chapter release.
This is even scarier if you're a slug and can't really run away.

Regarding tips to stay motivated, I have a deep relationship with my protagonists. Each of their adventures is like my own. Each of their deaths is ... oh, well, forget about this tip ... 

Motivation is fleeting, but habit remains.  

Making a habit to write, even just a little, for a few minutes a day can add up words.  To help visualize this, you can track how many words you write each day to see how far you've progressed.  At the end of the week with just a few paragraphs a day, you could have finished a chapter.  Seeing the word count increase can be motivating in itself. 

That being said, if you are on the motivation train, ride as long as you can by writing out the summary of where the story is going, maybe some snippets of dialogue, and little idea notes to yourself to work on when you're further along.  It becomes basically like writing an outline, then you can apply that outline to when you try to write.  

When you're just spewing general words and ideas, without having to focus on the little details, you can get a lot of information out that can be fleshed out later.   Much of that information is almost always big scenes; the big scenes that inspire you and make you want to write the story.  If it's only big scenes, that's fine, too.  You now just have to string them together.  It becomes a smaller step and you become more willing to write, especially if you really want to get to a particular part of the story that is already waiting for you.  

Since you're re-writing, this also gives you the chance to cut out parts and change things to make the story work better because you already know where it's going.  You can add more foreshadowing, throw out a red herring, better organize plot events.  Comparing your original with your re-written piece usually shows that you've improved the second time around and hopefully that will motivate you to keep going and do more.

Good luck!
DrakanWine