What's the highest ranking you've ever received, and how does the Ranking system work?

I posted a few chapters of a sci-fi work on here a few months ago and ended up deleting it all. I remember my "highest ranking" being in the 30,000s. At least, as far as I can remember...

With my current story, my "highest ranking" is in the 11,000s currently, but the number is slowly going up. Is that good or bad? Does that mean it's in the top 11,000-some stories, and the more it goes up, the lower my ranking is? It's confusing me because it's labeled "highest ranking" and it makes me think it should show the best stat that the story has ever gotten.

Also, what's the highest rank you've ever gotten? And what's considered "good" in terms of ranking?

Re: What's the highest ranking you've ever received, and how does the Ranking system work?

Ranking is for 'best rated'. #1 is the best, 40,000 is pretty much 'unknown'.

Once you get four or five ratings, you should be in the top 10,000. If your story is decently above-average, you'll probably end up somewhere in the 1000-6000 range.

My most recent story, Zu Mari, is at rank 4348 with a 4.1 rating; Bloodshard, which I completed in March, is at 1022 with a 4.4 rating; my oldest story, Trickster's Luck, is at rank 3176 with a 3.8 rating.

So number of ratings matters, as well as what the ratings are. I believe TL is higher ranked than ZM even with a lower rating because it has more ratings and reviews.

Re: What's the highest ranking you've ever received, and how does the Ranking system work?

Asviloka Wrote: Ranking is for 'best rated'. #1 is the best, 40,000 is pretty much 'unknown'.

Well, that clears things up pretty succinctly. I definitely overthought that one.  DrakanThink

Still, I feel like there should be a separate badge for "highest rank ever" for that particular fiction, just to gauge the history of the story. But I get that some people might be disheartened by that.

So... 11,000+ stories are ahead of me... I guess I'm not totally unknown. I definitely have room to grow!

You also have to understand that some stories already have a huge following from previous works. And the numbers of the best ranking are being compared across all genres, that means pure romance against fantasy, wuxia against litprg, isekai against reincarnation.

Also don't forget the trolls.

Basically, maybe you are 11000s in royalroad, but maybe you are higher for that specific genre.

I used to really care about the rankings, but not anymore. perhaps I check once every week. When I upload new chapter

An anonymous rating rises your work up the ranks but if you have a simple review you jump tens of ranks. If you get an extended review, it skyrockets you up the charts. But this is a very simplified explanation. From my experience, the number of your followers and favorites also plays a role. And thanks to the algorithm, a single negative rating can tank your position in the charts and you"ll need many more positive ratings and reviews to get back up. What your rating gives you is access to readers. The farther up the best-rated chart you are, the closer you are to the front page. And then, depending on the tags/categories you've given your story, you can be in the top-fictions for a certain genre despite being of a lower ranking. For example, my highest ranking ever was #200 but now I've been steadily pushed down to #273. Still, my work is in the top 4 under ongoing-historical fictions. 

My story is currently hovering around rank 5k, but I think that's mostly from getting ratings and reviews. I don't think that it necessarily means I'm 'above average' . So I don't know, it's a mysterious system. Hell, I'll take it. And I do like seeing the number go up, just good brain feel. If you get into the top 2,500 you get a badge, so that's cool. Something to aim for. I do like shinies. 

I got ATL to like #195 or something, enough to get the achievement, but it slowly slipped down and down the ranks over time due not to bad ratings just no new ones. Lots of stories just sorta passed it until now it's rank #603.

Hands Held in the Snow never got the chance to be higher ranked despite similar overall ratings to ATL, due to some very early 0.5 bombs that kept it out of the top 1000 for most of its run. It's #799 now, but steadily rising rather than falling, despite finishing over a year ago.

The algorithm is definitely some weighted balance of number of reviews and review score, at the very least. I know this because I have actually received reviews that lowered my overall score, but increased my ranking. And the higher you get, the more difficult it is to rise in the ranks. Going from "brand new story" to "top 10k" could take one or two good reviews. On the other hand, my best story is currently at rank 600 or so, and a 5 star review would make it gain maybe 5-15 spots. 

I keep hitting the mid 800's and then someone tosses me a .5 and I head back up a ways. I'm not to worried about the ranking. (Getting a .5 is annoying as shit though, and always will be. Especially when someone tosses them and doesn't tell you why.)

If you are posting chapters regularly, ranking will slowly get better. Good ratings help, more readers, reviews seem to help a bunch. It will swing a lot at first and then less and less because each good/bad rating has less effect over all.