So about Synopsis.

Writing is a hobby but I don't really wanna put half-assed efforts in a novel I've been working on for a long time now. (Especially if I actually drew character sketches for it.)
For the Synopsis, what does one usually put in it? 
Summary about the novel? if so how much should you reveal about the story?
This has been bugging me since I've started working on this. an answer would be appreciated o7

Re: So about Synopsis.

KuroShironi Wrote: Writing is a hobby but I don't really wanna put half-assed efforts in a novel I've been working on for a long time now. (Especially if I actually drew character sketches for it.)
For the Synopsis, what does one usually put in it? 
Summary about the novel? if so how much should you reveal about the story?
This has been bugging me since I've started working on this. an answer would be appreciated o7
This depends, but overall. Try and convey the feeling of the story, while also giving a decent enough idea of what to expect without directly revealing the plot. I would more advise doing this through allusions. Concentrate your points to be gripping, alluding, but meaningful.

Re: So about Synopsis.

You want to catch readers' attentions before they have to hit the "show more" option on RR's synopsis specifically. Readers tend to want hear something about the main character and their journey. Some things to be careful of when writing a synopsis:

-Lots of Purple Prose. Try to avoid this in a synopsis. While pretty, it makes the synopsis long winded and tells the reader nothing. Some readers might click away if the first sentence of a synopsis is a description of the setting/world rather then an introduction of a character.

-Avoid too much information about characters. If you have multiple characters, don't explain them all. Some readers get turned off of stories that feature more then 3+ character perspectives, and even if that isn't the case in a story, if an author writes the intentions/purposes of multiple characters in a synopsis the reader might assume that it follows different perspectives and stories instead of just one or two.

-Don't spoil things, but don't be too vague either. Usually, on RR, a good synopsis tends to spoil the first few chapters and maybe some overarching goal or danger, but doesn't spoil anything in between. 

Example of a bad synopsis abusing everything I just mentioned above (for a story that doesn't exist anywhere and isn't written):

Quote:In the country of Fantasyland, the moon sets on a sparkling lake, and mysteries lurk in the shadows of a small village in the mountains. Aristocrats battle for power and dangers lurk in the alleyways. Everyone goes to vacation here on the purdy sandy beaches, and get rare fish from the crystal clear waters. Insert more edgy, overly descriptive text here. Batman. The Royal Family hides a terrible secret. Meanwhile, in a shack in the pristine forests of Middle of No-where, Jane Mary-Sue lives a peaceful life, but soon she'll get attacked and have to go rescue her family from the Royal Family's dungeons, because of some plot progression and the interference of another one of them Isekai Goddesses who grants her a system.

Meanwhile, Gary Sue lives the life of a war-torn soldier to the east of Fantasyland. He wonders if he'll ever be free from the horrors of war.

Bob the Builder lives an edgy life in an edgy place trying to live up to the expectations of his Royal parents. Insert cringe worthy monologue here about saving the kingdom and some random bullshit here. His favorite toothpaste is crest, and he wears a fedora.

The King is bat-shit crazy and... etc. etc.

Example of this rewritten to be more to the point:

Quote:Jane Mary-sue lives a peaceful life with her parents, but in a world where aristocrats battle for power and dangers lurk in dark alleys, can she keep her loved ones safe as war marches towards her front step? Even with the blessing of an otherworldly Goddess?

Saying all that, just write whatever you feel introduces your story to readers. If you think a lot of purple prose and detailed plot descriptions helps sell your work to potential readers, go for it. It might work. A lot of readers will read any sort of synopsis, as long as it catches their interest in some way, and there are a lot of readers that like plots being spoiled, multiple PoV descriptions, and descriptive text. Just be consistent in how you present your work (if you only have one main character, and the story follows them, keep the synopsis about them and not the country they live in for example).