Re: Unconventional Inspirations?

TomOBedlam Wrote: Class. Usually ones where I’m just a bit bored so my mind tries to take the lecture material and turn it into something fun. I’ve gotten a lot of inspiration out of 400-500 year old poetry and plays, for example.
Yes! I second this. Doing philosophy is great for this, because some philosophical schools are essentially world building real life - from hierarchy of souls and the mind to pre-science speculation of what matter is. Even moral theory and how different morality systems have changed societies with a perspective shift, and how they justify themselves. It's fascinating and inspiring. I end up using fiction as like my fun thought experiment.

Kathy Wrote: Yes! I second this. Doing philosophy is great for this, because some philosophical schools are essentially world building real life - from hierarchy of souls and the mind to pre-science speculation of what matter is. Even moral theory and how different morality systems have changed societies with a perspective shift, and how they justify themselves. It's fascinating and inspiring. I end up using fiction as like my fun thought experiment.
Oh man, I agree. Taking in various schools of philosophical thought and just running hog wild with it in terms of worldbuilding is so fun.
I find that history classes also have a good amount of material to offer.

There's always Dungeons and Dragons. The Light Above the Sea takes some elements from The Black Antlers. I got an idea from this documentary about people who live off the grid. 

Sometimes it's just something my husband or a friend says. We were talking about why skyscrapers can't be built in my little swamp city and we arrived at underground skyscrapers and immediately I started thinking about underground cities. Or dreams like others have pointed out. The Light Above The Sea started as a dream. It was very studio ghibli inspired.

So my story Magicians Land is kind of a standard isekai. Nowadays, my inspiration for writing it is Re-Zero and Attack on Titan. However, back when I first came up of the idea, I had a really weird inspiration for it. The story was actually inspired by Pokemon, specifically the mystery dungeon series. 

So I am a fan of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games and after playing super mystery dungeon, I was waiting for the fifth game in the series. Needless to say it didn't come and there was no seventh gen mystery dungeon game. So I thought of ways of how a fifth game would work with the seventh gen mainline games, specifically the ultra versions of the games. So I thought about it and Magicians Land was in its pre-alpha stage, everyone was a pokemon and a story was born. 

However, anytime I played a mystery dungeon game I would always imagine what the pokemon would look like as people, so I did the same with my made up game. So now I have the characters looks in my mind. Then I thought of what would happen if this happened. Then I thought to change this event for another one. And after nearly a year of changing things left and right, I came up with the alpha version of Magicians Land. It became its own thing entirely, separate of its main inspiration and went on for far longer than I ever planned for the original. The first arc of my story still has elements from its early days, like for instance the main villain being inspired off of Necrozma, and the main main villain being inspired off of another pokemon. But I ain't even close to revealing who the real villain in my story is so I ain't going to list their inspiration here.

Journey the video game. 

That game is an amazing story-writing cheat, because it's pretty much just a distilled version of the hero's journey, reduced to its very essence. Hits like a punch right in the feels, too. And what's more, no two runs are ever quite the same since the other characters you meet are real people that you could meet, travel with and be separated from at any time. 

A few stories I've written are literally just a re-skin of my journey runs. Ofc I replace the worldbuilding and create fleshed out characters and all, but an emotionally impactful journey run is actually a very nice place to begin writing. It's like an emotional roadmap that you can place in a world of your making, fill with your own theme of choice, and populate with your own characters in place of the travelers and the flying scarves and the machines. 

I love that game so much. 

Zeepolian Wrote:
Haust Wrote: Journey the video game.
Boy that sure is one of those games that's been on my bucket list for like close to a decade now. Dang.

I should give it a try.
Yeah, don't wait for too long. Journey is perfectly playable solo, but remember that it is a slightly older game now and the servers of some of the smaller consoles (like the iOS servers) can be pretty empty. I doubt the larger servers for the PC or serious gaming concoles will die anytime soon but if you enjoy playing together with lots of other people, don't wait another decade. 

Divination tools often lend themselves amazingly well to storytelling. Just grab a tarot deck or a card generator. Get the story structure of your choice. Now pull a card for every step. You'll have the emotional journey for your character already written! Just interpret it and fill in the gaps. 

This can be done really quickly for every character, too, so it's a real fast way to generate a character with motivations and growth and everything in just a few seconds, so you can throw them in your MC's way. 

Another fun thing to play with is to choose the same tarot card for the first step of every characters journey, but randomize the rest of them. 

One time I got inspired by Gawr Gura and a line from League of Legends to make a story about a depraved guy who is eventually killed by the person he is going after. Decided not to finish that though since I thought the idea was way too dark and my lackluster writing ability would probably cause me to offend everyone who reads it, but I do find the inspirations for it to still be kind of funny.

Another idea I've been toiling with was a haram dating sim that turned into a slasher. Inspirations for that made a bit more sense, being Scream and a game, but I'm still kind of surprised that Scream happened to be the the thing my mind connected to a dating sim.