nature always gives me lots to think about for sure
plants and creatures all have their own unique adventure

history and conversations also inspire me
i'll admit i'm inspired by everything that i see
but perhaps the strangest inspiration that i've drawn
was from several gameboy battles with a pokemon

DrakanWine

Re: Unconventional Inspirations?

Most of my stories I care to write about came to me as dreams. There currently are about a dozen. Sometimes they come to me all at once, and sometimes they come in bits and pieces.  My most recent story dream at first seemed like a whole new tale, but then when I wrote down a bunch of it, and chatted on line with fellow authors, I realized it's the ending to a story dream I had years ago, where I became stuck trying to figure out how to end it.

It's kind of cute in a Zen sort of way, because when I first sought to tell the tale -- a story about a girl who really isn't a human, but is not really a monster either -- I was stuck then as well. Then I had the cutest little dream about an eleven year old farmgirl with huge curls of crazy orange hair. desperatey trying to keep the roots of trees in the ground where they belonged. She finally succeeds when a farmboy who is few years older comes along and helps her. They keep the roots of trees in the ground by smashing pumpkins on them with pitchforks.

It really is so cute because even though the boy is only thirteen, but is head-over-heels in love with the girl. And he doesn't know at the time that she is a monster. She doesn't even know -- they both think she is just a normal girl.

And whenever I write my dream stories, they play like movies in my mind. ❤

ArDeeBurger Wrote: Most of my stories I care to write about came to me as dreams. There currently are about a dozen. Sometimes they come to me all at once, and sometimes they come in bits and pieces.  My most recent story dream at first seemed like a whole new tale, but then when I wrote down a bunch of it, and chatted on line with fellow authors, I realized it's the ending to a story dream I had years ago, where I became stuck trying to figure out how to end it.

I gotta say, I love a good cathartic dream like that.
A few years ago, when I was at a low point as a writer, I was trying to come up with something new, a book that wasn't just somewhere else along the timeline of some pre-existing material. That's when I had a dream (that I can still weirdly remember well), that helped spawn a whole deluge of ideas.

I also remember a dream I had when I was like, 5, where Donkey Kong and Zelda got married in Zelda's OoT courtyard. So I guess if I ever wanna get into slash fic I have that one in my back pocket.

My book Mirefall was inspired by a puddle.

The woods along the path I walk my dog on flooded a bit and the dead leaves released tannins into the water that made it iridescent, almost like an oil-slick. I thought it looked magical and got to thinking of what kind of magic a puddle of iridescent liquid might possess. And since that’s the first book idea that got me seriously into writing fiction, in a way that puddle kind of inspired all of my stories and my ambition to become an author. 

Zeepolian Wrote: Is there something unconventional that you've used as an inspiration for either your current or a past work?

I've used albums (Protomen anybody???), movies, and video games, but I'm curious if there are any other weird mediums/places where you've found inspiration.
protomen is nice.

However, one factor which I have really had trouble with is writing stress. However, it turns out that writing is quite easy when you follow these three steps.
  1. Don't drink or eat for 12 hours
  2. Spend 3 hours in your bed thinking about how you will lose everything.
  3. Listen to this and this and this at the same time. Change volumes every 5 minutes so your ears cant adjust properly.
Try to write at random points. Really sells it

Well the board game ROOT gave me a lot of ideas for Red Mist, but the Bayesian Conspiracy Podcast episode where they talk about polygamous relationships (there’s two episodes) really spawned most of fish on a sticks drama. And the only reason I found the bayesian cartel podcast is because my writing group had me read harry potter and the methods of rationality and that had a podcast… etc. 

It’s turtles all the way down.