Have your writing related question answered on a podcast

As the title implies, I do a podcast with me and some friends where we talked about aspects of writing as well as answer or export certain topics or themes. I find starting off writing can be daunting and seeing many questions people bring up I felt it's important that if there were more people out there just talking about the journey then it will help more writers. It's a little rough around the edges but if it helps at least one of you think (Hey, I CAN do this.) then it's well worth it. 

I'll leave this thread open for questions you'd like us to tackle so feel free to leave your queries. 

Link to the Youtube channel here:  https://youtu.be/ZM44a2W6qWM

We aim for new podcasts every Friday. (I'll put any I make from here on in down below.)

Re: Have your writing related question answered on a podcast

Well, if you want some ideas...

What is the three act structure and why should you use it?  
Common grammar mistakes that irk your readers (comma usage, dead horse descriptions, etc).
How to keep PoV clear and consistent over multiple voices?
What makes a good fight/action scene and what doesn't?
Knowing your genre- what does your style indicate to the reader?  You can do this for all the genres... and sub genres.
How to write infodump that doesn't waste the reader's time?  Look at how David Weber does it- he writes little mini stories that are informative- they even have three act structure!
When do I need a SME?  Sometimes you can get away with wikipedia.  Sometimes you *need* a subject matter expert.
How to convey emotion without being heavy handed?
How to create compelling characters- and why you should do it for important side characters, too.
How to create dialogue that flows naturally?
How to create a good blurb, or hook?
Fanfic- what's good and bad about it?  You aren't creating unique characters or settings, but other skills you can learn from it.
How to find your audience?  Some sites trend more towards certain genres.
Why you need to love your villains- compelling villains are at *least* as important as the MC, if not *more*.  Cardboard villains are bad!

If you get bored, any of those will do.  Pretty broad topics, but broad means useful to more people.  Never underestimate the value in drinking from the big cup- lowbrow and everyman is where the eyeballs are.

how to write sex scenes without being cringe?
how to write torture scenes without being edgy?
how to write about siblings when you have none?
how to write about involuntary erections when you never experienced them? 
how to write about menstrual cramps when you never experienced them?
how to write about criminal underworld and prison life when you know jack shit about it?
how to write about the military from the perspective of a soldier? 
how to write about discrimination when you lived your life in privilege and never experienced it?
how to write about religious believes when you are an atheist? 
how to describe gender dysphoria when you are cis?
how to describe how a concussion feels like when you were never hit in the head?

I don't need these questions answered. But 99% of the authors do, and discuss these for them, because 99% of time they just embarrass themselves when tackling these issues. 

Of course, chances are thicc you don't know either. Most of these questions can't be answered by just doing research on wikipedia.

Weavervale Wrote: Man oh man. 
How does one write a scene with multiple characters, especially polygamous partners with all competing stuff going on? 
I keep putting my characters in these scenes for fun and yeah...

I've written an extensive piece on POV types the other day on a thread here, I have a lot to say about it so if you are honestly stuck and need answers (well more like insight, you will have to make the choice in the end,) then just DM me and I'll see if I can help. 

Quote:Dan Lane
eric_river Wrote:
mine might be a unique question in this universe:
"could there ever be a chance for tales written in verse?"
DrakanPopcorn

Ballads and song-stories are some of the oldest I know of.  A good story with a fine beat and melody backing it s a memorable thing.

I agree, having a song or poem that backs the story, lore, culture or belief of people in the story can be a powerful tool if used correctly. Kind of how a good song is IRL. they are compressed snacks of emotions and ideas so having it weaved into a story with intent is a plus in my eyes. 

Dan Wrote:
eric_river Wrote:
DrakanPopcorn

Ballads and song-stories are some of the oldest I know of.  A good story with a fine beat and melody backing it s a memorable thing.

i think so too, but it seems harder to find them these days
melodies are such a great way to carry a phrase
could you give me some examples of the ones you love?
when someone says song-stories, what do you first think of?
DrakanAmused

eric_river Wrote:
Dan Wrote:
eric_river Wrote:
DrakanPopcorn

DrakanAmused

Hamilton is exactly this. For the longest I couldn’t stop listening to it and I just wrote a parody song for later on in red mist. 

eric_river Wrote:

DrakanAmused

Sabaton, if you like metal.  Pretty much any Sabaton, but Bismark is a good place to start, I think.  Stan by Eminem is a story song, too- you can find a few like that in rap.  Fast Car by Tracy Chapman, for rock.  Of course there's Piano Man (Billy Joel).  Tam Pierce is an old folk song I remember singing when I was little, another story song.  Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles), another one from my youth.  Barenaked Ladies did the Big Bang, which I'd argue tells a story.  Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen), another one.  Ballads were once just poetry set to music.  There are also chants, hymns, and so on that tell a story. 

There's also the '04 Bard's Tale game...  Pretty much the whole thing (It's Bad Luck To Be You...).  And now anybody who has played it is at least humming along and cursing me for reminding them of just *one* of the earworms in that game.

Weavervale Wrote: Hamilton is exactly this. For the longest I couldn’t stop listening to it and I just wrote a parody song for later on in red mist.

I tend to recall Les Miserables more than Hamilton, if we're talking plays. Master of the House is... a treasure, let's say. *chuckle* Plays are a *great* source of popular story songs. There's also Gilbert and Sullivan, The Mikado: "I've got a little list/ I've got a little list/ And they'll none of them be missed!" *grin*

Thank you guys for the questions!

We've tackled some of them in this podcast and plan to cover more in the future.  

We talked about how to write something you've never experienced, as well as gatekeeping that tends to go in in the community. it was a mishmash but was fun overall