Sharing.

I'm back. And now rushing to finish up the current version of my story before I book in for two weeks. So this time, it's a question:

What is something you didn't notice until you found out about it?

For me, booking in into the army makes me feel like slapping some authors of military fiction for the lack of reality in it. No, you cannot wear full pink camouflage, standing there, and not being in high alert position when breaching a building. That gets you shot.

Re: Sharing.

Zearth Wrote:
luda305 Wrote: ... is caring.

Apologies, but what does "book in" mean in this context?
Currently serving in National Service, so in this context, I get weekend "Breaks" and have to report by a certain timing.
 Give me military knowledge 😭😭😭😭😭

Like, I love MILITARY story. Like I'm intrigued by jingoism, war, ranks, soldiers like UGH. I also used to be a huge WWII nerd as well. 

I wanted to join the Canadian armed forces just to experience what it feels like to be part of an army. But im weak and a potato. 

Research isn't enough, and reading fiction is fantasy fulfillment half the time. Lololol, the struggle. 

Ah. Thank you for your service.

To your question, I just realized that this one position at my employer (and similar positions at other employers) is overwhelmingly female. Hadn't realized it until I met a male in the position. NO idea why it's that disparate. And ironically, while we have a big display (lip service) to greater gender equity for higher level positions, I don't think there's been any attention on this particular position. 

NinaWrites Wrote:
Zearth Wrote:

Currently serving in National Service, so in this context, I get weekend "Breaks" and have to report by a certain timing.

Like, I love MILITARY story. Like I'm intrigued by jingoism, war, ranks, soldiers like UGH. I also used to be a huge WWII nerd as well. 

I wanted to join the Canadian armed forces just to experience what it feels like to be part of an army. But im weak and a potato. 

Research isn't enough, and reading fiction is fantasy fulfillment half the time. Lololol, the struggle.
I'm still a recruit that barely has mobile data in camp, so I don't have much to say. The basic things are to obey orders, call any officers as Sir or Maam (Almost never by their rank,) and make sure you don't piss off the Chief Company Trainer (which is something like the Company Sergeant elsewhere, I think.)

But most importantly, never point a rifle at someone. That can easily get you charged and thrown into the Detention Barracks.

Zearth Wrote:
NinaWrites Wrote:
Zearth Wrote:

I'm still a recruit that barely has mobile data in camp, so I don't have much to say. The basic things are to obey orders, call any officers as Sir or Maam (Almost never by their rank,) and make sure you don't piss off the Chief Company Trainer (which is something like the Company Sergeant elsewhere, I think.)

But most importantly, never point a rifle at someone. That can easily get you charged and thrown into the Detention Barracks.

I know it's obvious, but what is a detention barracks? Is it like a jail? Or something? 

NinaWrites Wrote:
Zearth Wrote:
NinaWrites Wrote:
Zearth Wrote:

I know it's obvious, but what is a detention barracks? Is it like a jail? Or something?
Something akin to military prison.