Re: How do you guys feel about crouching moron, hidden badass protagonist?

Too much of a good thing is never good. I think old-school DBZ found the right balance with Goku especially (I could rant about his character being ruined, but I won't.) To summarize, in DBZ, he was clumsy and awkward at times, often dumb, but he could be serious when the situation warranted (like when lives were in danger.) He had an inherent drive to fight and push his limits while handling actual threats against Earth.

Fast forward to DB Super, he's just a goofy idiot who likes to eat and fight. He will gladly put lives at risk if it means "fighting a strong guy." He's been Flanderized to say the least. I also dislike how Vegeta's character development was totally retconned and undone, but that's a different animal.

Long story short: still a valid trope, can still be fun/entertaining, but less is more.

razscrivens Wrote: Too much of a good thing is never good. I think old-school DBZ found the right balance with Goku especially (I could rant about his character being ruined, but I won't.) To summarize, in DBZ, he was clumsy and awkward at times, often dumb, but he could be serious when the situation warranted (like when lives were in danger.) He had an inherent drive to fight and push his limits while handling actual threats against Earth.

Fast forward to DB Super, he's just a goofy idiot who likes to eat and fight. He will gladly put lives at risk if it means "fighting a strong guy." He's been Flanderized to say the least. I also dislike how Vegeta's character development was totally retconned and undone, but that's a different animal.

Long story short: still a valid trope, can still be fun/entertaining, but less is more.
You about summed up the problem with DB Super. 

Apocryphal Wrote: Yeah, DB super ruined everything that made DBZ great. I hate it.
Thing is as well, the transformations originally were like crunch time. There was a build up towards it, and the battles felt much more tense in DBZ, even as it declined with quality after the Namek arc. It still had its original charm to an extent. Also, never really thought it was possible to make Goku a hatable character, but super managed to do so. 😐

For the question however...

There is potential in the character archetype/trope, but is usually one-note. Nothing changes. Everything remains the same. They never grow...not in anyway that matters (aka everything but power scaling on heavy drugs)

However, I actually really dislike this trope. It never works for me as a protagonist. It is better for a mentor or a side character.