A complete novice writer who can't decide on which perspective should he use for his novel.

It's been a few months since I started reading novels here and to other sites as well. In the last 3 months, I started my first novel; which is a fantasy, mystery adventure one. Aside from my lack of skills in writing; specifically on grammar and vocabulary, I am still not good at making the right pace of the scenes. I already posted the Prologue chapter here with two chapters which I have written in first-person perspective but every time I reviewed it on my own, it really felt there's something lacking. Should a beginner writer write from a third-person perspective? or should I stick to the first-person perspective where I can correlate myself to the main character's personality and perspective?

I hope someone can give me a piece of advice because it will help me a lot, I was hoping also to have someone to review the novel I am writing. Nice meeting you and I hope you have a nice day ahead!

Re: A complete novice writer who can't decide on which perspective should he use for his novel.

JLCohen Wrote: I think you should stick with whichever you are most comfortable with, especially if you want to post consistently.
What I've learned about RR is that writing quality doesn't necessarily have to be top-notch to garner views.
Most people are here for a fun story that's easy to follow.

That's right I guess, maybe I just need to determine on which one I was more comfortable to write with. I'll try writing on both until I figure out what suits me the best. Thank you for advice bro.

Re: A complete novice writer who can't decide on which perspective should he use for his novel.

Welcome to Royal Road and to writing. I think you're idea of trying out both perspectives makes sense. Of the two POV, third person is the more common. In the end it really boils down to what you're comfortable with. I wrote my first book in third person since that's what I was comfortable with. Also, as you write you'll get better at it and figure out what's best for you.

To help more people find your work you should include a link to it in your signature. Also, if you're looking for feedback, you might consider review or comment swaps in the Reviewing section of the Forums. Cinn put together a beginner's guide which contains a lot of helpful advice. You can find it here. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/111469

Hope you enjoy your writing journey and that many people experience the fruits of your labor. Good luck.

Belated welcome to RR! 

As Parker says, third person POV is more common but I think it boils down to what you're comfortable writing and what fits best for your story. For example, both of my stories are written in first person POV because I thought that would be the best decision for me and my story!

It might be worth posting in the review thread asking for some critique swaps :)

Welcome to Royal Road!

Not an author, so take this with a decent dose of salt, but think that spending more time actually writing might probably be more helpful than finetuning decisions that you may change your mind on when you actually get down to writing. Don't think anyone is born as a perfect writer and the more they actually practice writing the more capable they become in their trade, much like any other crafter. 

Anyways, hope you are doing well and that you enjoy your time here!

Welcome! As others have said, experiment to find what you're more comfortable with. Personally I prefer to write in third, however that doesn't help my tendency to POV hop which can be confusing for the readers. 😅 As with all things writing, the only real way to find your voice is to practise and get feedback. 

I hope you enjoy RR and your fiction finds an audience.

msng Wrote: Welcome to Royal Road!

Not an author, so take this with a decent dose of salt, but think that spending more time actually writing might probably be more helpful than finetuning decisions that you may change your mind on when you actually get down to writing. Don't think anyone is born as a perfect writer and the more they actually practice writing the more capable they become in their trade, much like any other crafter. 

Anyways, hope you are doing well and that you enjoy your time here!
I'll take your advice in mind, thank you.

There are no real rules on what on you should write with, I think it falls on what ones work best for the story you're trying to tell and the feelings you are trying to invoke. Each POV type has there tradeoffs. For example, first-person is great for getting into a person's head and really seeing how they tick but it's a bit more jarring to head hop from chapter to chapter if you have a bunch of characters to follow. 

Second person POV is... well it's making the reader THE character. so instead of 'I walked into the room' (first person) it's 'you walked into the room' It's often used in short stories since it's effective in pulling the reader into that given character but using it for a long story feels more jarring I hear so it's not often seen. 

Third-person POV got two main types: third limited and third omniscient.  The third limitation is a bit like first-person except you are talking about a character as if you are observing their actions from over their shououlder. You get insight into their take on the world but it's not as raw and direct as a third person. Lastly, in the third limit, you often stick with one character throughout a chapter or scene only hopping to the next after a clear break of some kind. Personally, I think this is the most middle ground one out of the bunch because of its need to stick with a character throughout a scene or chapter but with the freedom to be as much or as little into said person mind as you'd like allowing the narrator to color their thoughts with there own take on events. 

The third omniscient is like the film camera in a story able to be anywhere at any time in any given moment, this has the most freedom but runs the risk of being jarring if you are not mindful of how you set things up. This one gives you great freedom but well with great power comes great responsibility. Also, be mindful that this one is less used by writers nowadays because it's a more free-sweeping style. If you really want to get into a characters head and makes the reader feel their emotions you will have to put in a bit more work, but then you also have the freedom to move into others POV at ant given moment that can add to the drama or a character's emotions in its own way. 

The best thing for you to do I feel works out what is it that you are trying to do with your story, imagine what the story will be like with each of these POVs, and work out from there what one works for you. It can be as simple as you use to reading in one POV and you like it sure but just be mindful that there are trad-offs for each. if you need more info on POv's just DM me and I'll send you a vid that explains them well. 

A bit long-winded but I hope that helps XD