Re: NaNoWriMo/Writathon Discussion

Verlin Wrote:
Mai Wrote: Definitely gonna aim for doing NaNo this year. Not gonna do a whole separate novel for it, I'm just gonna use it as an excuse to get my word count up on Record of Lundeir's chapter drafts cause I might actually be able to finish writing all the first drafts by the end of the year. Maybe. Possibly.

Used to be that 50k in a month was really daunting for me but nowadays I can easily do 2k in less than an hour of writing, so hey.
You can submit an ongoing book for NaNo?
Well there's a couple answers already so I'm late to that party, but it depends on how closely you wanna follow the rules. Back when I first learned about NaNoWriMo, the website stated it had to be a whole new book, but nowadays the website (at a glance anyway) just says the goal is "to write 50,000 words of a novel during the thirty days of November."

That aside though, unless they changed something on the website, the main important thing to submit is your word count and it's more of a personal challenge than anything so I've never been against playing outside the rules.

NinaWrites Wrote:
Should I join RR's writeathon or should I wait until I have enough backlog and post on January 20, 2022 like my original plan? 

Please someone, give me the pros and cons list. Preferably from someone who has joined the writeathon event last year! 
Last year, I got first place with a count of 150k words. From that, I went from 40 follows to a 120 in the span of four hours. In the next two days, this increased to 150.

This april, I got 10th with a count of 97k words. From that, I got 15 follows.

The gain plummets if you don't reach within the higher ranks. If you don't believe that you will have 150k+ words ready for next time, I would say you should just go for it now.

DrBuller Wrote:
NinaWrites Wrote:
Should I join RR's writeathon or should I wait until I have enough backlog and post on January 20, 2022 like my original plan? 

Please someone, give me the pros and cons list. Preferably from someone who has joined the writeathon event last year! 
Last year, I got first place with a count of 150k words. From that, I went from 40 follows to a 120 in the span of four hours. In the next two days, this increased to 150.

The gain plummets if you don't reach within the higher ranks. If you don't believe that you will have 150k+ words ready for next time, I would say you should just go for it now.
I am left speechless by the fact that someone can write 150K words in a month...I can barely put in 50...and that is to be seen

CM Wrote: I guess I joined just in time for the writeathon! Just making it onto the leader board would be a huge accomplishment, sounds incredibly fulfilling!
This was me back in April! Originally I was going to build a backlog and plan my launch strategy better, but then I figured that I might as well go for it. It was super fun! I saw a nice little boost in views and follows too (I wrote 80-some k words and placed 15th if I remember correctly.)

Realistically, I won't be able to participate this year now that I'm a full-time student (vs. part-time work in April) and I'm supposed to be getting research ready for submission to publication not my web serial(!) but yk, I'm going to try anyway and see if I can just barely scrape by 55,555. It really is fun, and you get a shiny badge like you might see some of us have.

DrBuller Wrote:
NinaWrites Wrote:

Holy shit. 150k plus words??? Are people stockpiling chapters then??? Or do they start writing on October 31?

NinaWrites Wrote: Are people stockpiling chapters then???
It's possible to do that but kinda defeats the purpose.... (I have heard some writers are completely discouraged from partaking in the event because of people who mass post their backlog, which I think is the biggest shame to that kind of behavior.)

If you figure the math, typing speeds when drafting and number of free hours, it's totally reasonable to do over 100,000 in a month. (That's figuring 20wpm for 3 hours a day for 30 days.) Obviously with faster typing and more hours invested, even more is possible. The upper limit based off physical typing speed and awake hours goes into the millions (let's say 100wpm, 8 hours a day, 30 days).... I'm oddly tempted to try writing a million words in a single month now once I'm out of school XD

Sake Wrote: try reading 2000 words out loud non stop, and see how your vocal chords are doing
I spent several years where, each week, I would spend multiple 8-hour days dictating technical documents.  I also tried the path of the keyboard and the two are not comparable.  Automated dictation software is still ludicrously awful, but one day it won’t be and all will wonder at how someone convinced them to instead contort themselves to the perverse whims of the many-buttoned.

(I still type when others are asleep, but have considered building a detached cabin so I don’t have to.  I worry, though, that this would reduce my non-screen-mediated human contact to critically low levels)