Story Idea Giveaways

I got this idea from another thread, but basically if there's a story you think could work but cannot write it yourself for one or several reasons, then share it so maybe someone struggling with coming up with ideas can maybe take a gander at it. Or maybe you can take like five minutes to come up with a troll idea and see if someone will take it and make a genuinely good story out of it. I would highly recommend doing the troll option if you don't feel comfortable posting a genuine story idea.

I do not recommend posting an idea here if:
  • You have thought of a story for more than two month. If you've been thinking of it for so long then you may write it at some point.
  • You want a story to go a specific way and do not trust others with handling it.
  • You know you will regret it later. If no one took the idea yet and you decide to write it, then delete your reply from the thread just in case. 
I'm mainly doing this cause I know I won't be able to write everything I want to and I know there are people going through writer's block. With that in mind I decided to knock out two things in one stone. 

My idea is a man in a dead end job and a woman with a mysterious backstory decide to team up in a death battle against 49 other teams to become king and queen of the earth. The man is seen mostly as evil and selfish while the woman is more nice and naive to the evils surrounding her. Anyone that wants to use this idea is free to do whatever they want with it. I'll probably put more new ideas here if I ever come up with more I know I wouldn't be able to do.

Re: Story Idea Giveaways

This sounds like a neat idea, so I'll throw it one out there. It's a very VERY boiled down idea for a setting I've pretty much abandoned, and even if I pick it up again, I'd likely go in a different direction.

A larger scale premise for a world where war is at a standstill. The nations of the world have come up with some form of perfect defensive force, magic, tech, etc. A new way to pierce this ultimate defense has been discovered, but is highly limited and highly desirable. The main character manages to find a weapon/clump of it for some reason made of the stuff. Do they decide to become a fighter or keep it away from some bad guy? All up to you!

I've got a few others in line before this one, but here goes the premise.

What I wanted to write about is where humans and the machines they created are at war. Nothing new there.

The difference would be in the MC being able to connect with machines, earn their trust, bury the hatchet, and eventually end the war. 

There are those who want to work with robots to achieve greatness together, but then there are the authoritarians who demand that machines be subservient. Some robot entities on the other hand look down on humans as a diseased, weak, shortmined scourge.

Both the MC and his allies have to put an end to the wrongs on both sides, obviously by killing the antagonists that are ruining it for everyone.

If no one gives it a shot, I still will... in like a couple years. 😔

Cody

The conspiracy theorists were right.  The covid vaccine is actually a nanomachine swarm bootstrap that reconfigures the victim’s neurostructures.  On November 1, 2021, the nanoswarm triggers a System that has lain dormant in our DNA for millions of years, and at the same time configures each victim to host a portion of the Gates-Buffet distributed consciousness.  Gates-Buffet learns the skills that we learn and syphons a percentage of each victim’s experience (like in real life).  After a decade of engineered conflict to achieve higher skill levels, Gates-Buffet begins launching self-replicating cyberhosts to nearby stars.  These are immediately detected by a competing System which demands total surrender under threat of annihilation by supernova.  Gates-Buffet calculates a 30% chance of survival if they sacrifice everyone on Earth.  After dedicating 58% of their collective processing power to the problem for nearly 300 milliseconds, the gestalt chooses life and freedom (for themself, everyone else is vaporized).  End book one.

tfisb Wrote: The conspiracy theorists were right.  The covid vaccine is actually a nanomachine swarm bootstrap that reconfigures the victim’s neurostructures.  On November 1, 2021, the nanoswarm triggers a System that has lain dormant in our DNA for millions of years, and at the same time configures each victim to host a portion of the Gates-Buffet distributed consciousness.  Gates-Buffet learns the skills that we learn and syphons a percentage of each victim’s experience (like in real life).  After a decade of engineered conflict to achieve higher skill levels, Gates-Buffet begins launching self-replicating cyberhosts to nearby stars.  These are immediately detected by a competing System which demands total surrender under threat of annihilation by supernova.  Gates-Buffet calculates a 30% chance of survival if they sacrifice everyone on Earth.  After dedicating 58% of their collective processing power to the problem for nearly 300 milliseconds, the gestalt chooses life and freedom (for themself, everyone else is vaporized).  End book one.

I don't know if I'd read a whole book of this, but this comment was one hell of a ride.

A boy falls in love with a girl.
Unable to confess, he is gifted with by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.
But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.
Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

Desperate for tuition money, you stumble upon a flyer for a drug trial. Three weeks, easy money. Most likely you will get the placebo anyway, but even if you don't, there shouldn't be any lasting effects. Unfortunately, they lied. You wake up, but you aren't you anymore. Given your new shapeshifting abilities, the scientists who administered the drug trial perform experiment after experiment to see just how far your powers can go. Desperate to escape, you enlist the help of another captive with similar abilities. You find that you can speak telepathically to her, and together you plot your escape. As you work together, you discover there is more to her than meets the eye. Her father, a magical shaman from a far-away land, is behind the development of the drug. Now you have to decide if the woman you've fallen for is to be trusted or will eventually betray you.

razscrivens Wrote: I don't know if I'd read a whole book of this, but this comment was one hell of a ride
The content of the book would, of course, focus on the nouveau riche style struggles between System Enhanced Individuals as they vie for social status and actual power.  The utter futility of all their efforts in the face of their certain doom only being revealed gradually and perhaps subtly enough that fans of the soap opera can mostly ignore it.

New idea:

A serial killer specializes in stabbing murders with high end kitchen knives.  Several chapters are spent educating the reader about the characteristics of quality knives and how they are meticulously matched to characteristics of the victims.  A detective and practitioner of Zen has recognized the pattern and has narrowed down the pool of suspects to five knife collectors that includes the actual killer.  However, the killer watches a documentary about their murders that emphasizes the phallic nature of the knife and the violation of the act of murder.  The killer views each murder as an alchemical wedding and is horrified at the association with rape.  For months they wander, lost and confused, committing unplanned murders with random implements.  After a brief flirtation with large sheets of plastic and cable ties, they find a new groove with subtle poisons.  The detective arrests the wrong person and the killer experiences a nostagia-frission because both collectors had a credit card with an image of a hand-forged Japanese knife that last auctioned for over two million dollars.  The book ends with the killer meditating on what poison could possibly rival such a knife, and who would qualify as a worthy victim.

There is nothing in the world you dislike more than being mocked by a room full of men, except maybe the tight corset and ridiculous dress society expects you to wear. These Oxford scholars understand nothing about the steam-powered flying contraption you've created, which you plan on using to explore uncharted lands across the ocean. In order to secure Oxford College's funding, you must grin and bear their arrogant questioning and misogyny. Luckily, one handsome scholar takes you seriously and agrees to privately fund you—on the condition he can join you. Together, the two of you set out to prove those pompous scholars wrong about your innovative invention.

Yes, you used to be in love with a vampire, but you were just seventeen and emotions were running high. You broke it off with him before you left for college and, although it was weird to go back to the real world, you knew it was the right thing to do. But then students at your college begin to go missing. Bodies are found on campus drained of blood. When your roommate and then your new boyfriend disappear, you've had enough. It's time to put on some garlic, grab a stake, and end this relationship once and for all. You just hope you can resist his irresistible charms.

Basically what should have happened in Twilight Saga. 

Kino Wrote: Yes, you used to be in love with a vampire, but you were just seventeen and emotions were running high. You broke it off with him before you left for college and, although it was weird to go back to the real world, you knew it was the right thing to do. But then students at your college begin to go missing. Bodies are found on campus drained of blood. When your roommate and then your new boyfriend disappear, you've had enough. It's time to put on some garlic, grab a stake, and end this relationship once and for all. You just hope you can resist his irresistible charms.

Strongly disagree on that one, plus I think I read a similar one on Amazon

Verlin Wrote:
Kino Wrote: Yes, you used to be in love with a vampire, but you were just seventeen and emotions were running high. You broke it off with him before you left for college and, although it was weird to go back to the real world, you knew it was the right thing to do. But then students at your college begin to go missing. Bodies are found on campus drained of blood. When your roommate and then your new boyfriend disappear, you've had enough. It's time to put on some garlic, grab a stake, and end this relationship once and for all. You just hope you can resist his irresistible charms.

Fair enough. It was meant as a joke more. Sorry if I offended you. I originally meant it that if you tweaked the script a bit, or made it seem a bit more believable (given general tropes/ideas of monsters) that the story concept would change drastically.
 That can be said of any kind of idea, however. Flip the script, change the perspective, give an outsider's view of events and it would drastically change pretty much any series or idea. 
That being said, you can find everything and anything on Amazon.

Kino Wrote:
Verlin Wrote:

Fair enough. It was meant as a joke more. Sorry if I offended you. I originally meant it that if you tweaked the script a bit, or made it seem a bit more believable (given general tropes/ideas of monsters) that the story concept would change drastically.
 That can be said of any kind of idea, however. Flip the script, change the perspective, give an outsider's view of events and it would drastically change pretty much any series or idea. 
That being said, you can find everything and anything on Amazon.
Oh,I'm not that easily offended, I just thought that Bella and Edward made a good pair, pity there wasn't a sequal series, would've loved to see Bella in college as a Vampire...Oh there's an idea! A fanfiction one but an idea nonetheless.

And you're also right about amazon but I think you understimte the number of books with super hot stalker werewolf/vampire/warlock boyfriends

I lurked on Wattpad. I have seen a lot of the hot stalker supernatural boyfriends thing. (Not including vague elements in my own work but they lean more stalker/various kinds of yandere)

Since you were a little girl, you always wanted to be a mermaid. You dreamed of swimming deep in the ocean, playing with fish, and enjoying a life of fanciful adventure. Now in your thirties and working for a large biomedical company, you have discovered a way to splice human DNA with marine animal DNA to produce a hybrid that looks and acts exactly like a mermaid. The only problem with your plan is that you need test subjects to perfect the method before using it on yourself. You never thought of yourself as a kidnapper, let alone someone who would alter the genetic makeup of your victims, but you will do anything to make your dream come true.

Well, it's not a story idea, but an idea for a setting that I had during asking for recommendations. Perhaps nothing new, but I don't think it's too common, so it might be nice to re-iterate it sometime.

What I thought about, is combining dungeons with spaceships. Therefore, the entire story would take place in something akin to an underground or superstructure with a network of gargantuan tunnels.

The plot could be your usual space opera, except all the strategic endeavors could take place in a way richer environment.

If there is already something like this on RR, please let me know.

SackOfSnails Wrote: combining dungeons with spaceships
On the sci-fi side, there are stories about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_ship s where things have gone wrong and the crew have to fight monsters, but they don’t have the modern dungeon core tropes.  Perhaps the ship’s AI could have gone dungeon core - maybe even for a semi-benevolent purpose of training the crew to survive the hell world that it now knows its destination to be.

On the fantasy side, I played a D&D game where the ‘dungeon’ was an immense ship (size of Japan) sailing in the elemental plane of water.  The ship itself was sentient but only manifested an avatar once when factions started slinging wish spells at each other.  It was a lot of fun.  The DM was completely insane, so I don’t know if he based it on an existing setting.