Re: Story Growing Slowly: Should I Give Up?

LambentTyto Wrote:
NinaWrites Wrote: All great ideas started after 1000s of pages of scrapped ideas.
No way. Take Asimove for instance. He's known for a few great series and yet in his lifetime he wrote over five hundred books.

You would be surprised how many dead writers are out there who are remembered for one or two great stories, and yet they have huge bodies of work you've never even heard of.

The "tortured writer" cliche where he sits there trying line one over and over with two hundred balls of crumpled up paper under his desk while he repeatedly tries to hammer out some perfect idea on his manual typewriter is a movie thing. Often the complete opposite of reality.

Just saying...

Essentially, i was trying to evoke a strong but familiar enough imagery to show that writers probably have 100s if not 1000s of ideas constantly running in their head. Do you write them all? No. That's preposterous. You will need to flesh out the idea for a bit before you start writing. And maybe you combine all three ideas into one. 

Essentially everytime you brainstorm, you are scrapping,  redefining, rewriting these ideas, turning it over in your head  over and over again until you have that one idea that calls to you. Its the very foundation of the creative process. Some people have their ideas written down and some have it in their head - but all in all, they are all ideas you either scrap or keep. A battle Royale for that one story that really inspires you. (Lol)

You are right that there are many great authors past our time that wrote millions and billions of words. But I don't believe that their first draft was always perfect. I don't believe that they never revised their idea or their first draft. 

I wanted to tell OP that it's okay to not have the perfect story. Or the perfect idea. The great thing about ideas is that they are malleable to be transformed into something better or re-imagined to something more interesting. I wanted to tell them that the story that they have now can be reformed into something better - because that's the beauty of creativity. 

So yes - while it is a "tortured writer" cliche metaphor that I have used, I think that anyone who pursue art of any medium do have 100s and 1000s of ideas bouncing in their head that may not be showcased to the world..

Also, I didn't mean it quite literally, lol. 😊

kieranpierce Wrote: That's one guy writing all those comments.... o.O
I have nothing against this guy, this is just a typical day in my dashboard. Reader is always right, since they get to rate the story. 

But speaking from a clinical perspective, what kind of story do you think a guy whose name is DaoistFilth enjoys reading? Just spitballing here... 

HereBeTreasure Wrote:
I have nothing against this guy, this is just a typical day in my dashboard. Reader is always right, since they get to rate the story. 

But speaking from a clinical perspective, what kind of story do you think a guy whose name is DaoistFilth enjoys reading? Just spitballing here...

he either hates daoism, a view I can understand but not totally subscribe to; or he's a jaded ex daoist, critical of what he once believed in

Sake Wrote:
HereBeTreasure Wrote:

he either hates daoism, a view I can understand but not totally subscribe to; or he's a jaded ex daoist, critical of what he once believed in
My understanding was that he's a daoist filth (likes daoist novels) as in he reads and enjoys lots of cultivation novels... When I look at this guy, what I see is a poster child for the 8000 followers I wasn't able to attract out of 10,000, and I ask myself how can I write a story that guys like DaoistFilth can give 5 stars to and love and get me to the frontpage instead of giving me 1 star and flaming me in comments for 10 chapters straight... 

HereBeTreasure Wrote: When I look at this guy, what I see is a poster child for the 8000 followers I wasn't able to attract out of 10,000, and I ask myself how can I write a story that guys like DaoistFilth can give 5 stars to and love and get me to the frontpage instead of giving me 1 star and flaming me in comments for 10 chapters straight...
I actually really like this mindset!

I've only had kind, intelligent, constructive criticism so far, no comments like those.... I will definitely employ that mentality when I do get more bluntly put feedback. Also, I think that your mindset is pretty masochistic (lol) but admirable. Perhaps pragmatic is the best word. From my experience with giving feedback, I just know that sometimes author reactions just makes me want to... not. (And I think that I am reasonably kind and articulate person, so oof.)

I always like your posts HereBeTreasure, always something to think about. DrakanThink

Never expect to get a big viewer base without putting a lot of time and work into. Why are you writing? Is it to improve your skills, a hobby, to make money, or some other reason? Is the reason i started worth stopping over not having a big reader base?

What are some of the best ways to get/keep viewers? If you get comments read them and reply to as many as you can/want. Update as often as you can without sacrificing quality. Readers are greedy and want quantity and quality. What is your target audience? What genres are popular at the moment?

That pretty much all my sleep deprived mind can think of at the moment.

kieranpierce Wrote: Also, I think that your mindset is pretty masochistic (lol) but admirable.
Yeah pretty much, just jaded at this point from royalroad's large toxic side, I know it's guys like these who gatekeep stories from popular this week so instead of trying to fight them (doesn't matter what the truth is, reader is always right, because reader gets to rate the story), just give them the trash that they want. 

HereBeTreasure Wrote:
kieranpierce Wrote: Also, I think that your mindset is pretty masochistic (lol) but admirable.
Yeah pretty much, just jaded at this point from royalroad's large toxic side, I know it's guys like these who gatekeep stories from popular this week so instead of trying to fight them (doesn't matter what the truth is, reader is always right, because reader gets to rate the story), just give them the trash that they want.

From what I've seen the LitRpg/cultivation/progression tags are a blessing and a curse. You get a lot of early exposure, but the people who look at them want something incredibly specific and are never quiet about it.