Things that are popular

I'm not sure how this works for anyone else, but for some reason, I have personally always avoided things that are popular. Doesn't matter what it is.

I've noticed that when I look for things to read on here, I habitually only entertain stories that are for the most part unrecognized. More specifically, ones that have less than thousands of f-ing followers!

I feel like I should maybe look at the high rated stories on here, cause they should be good right? But I can't bring myself to. 

Does anyone else have this tendency?

Cody

Re: Things that are popular

Brogotta Wrote: I'm not sure how this works for anyone else, but for some reason, I have personally always avoided things that are popular. Doesn't matter what it is.

I've noticed that when I look for things to read on here, I habitually only entertain stories that are for the most part unrecognized. More specifically, ones that have less than thousands of f-ing followers!

I feel like I should maybe look at the high rated stories on here, cause they should be good right? But I can't bring myself to. 

Cody
I take a look at it first, read a bit, then turn away. This is for pretty much any story, not just popular ones. The connecting point? Most does not take my interest. Which further breaks down to these points.

1. They fundamentally lack the skill to write.

—> This can be from a range of issues. Specifically grammar.

2. The story is shown not to be planned.

—> It is very rare I can read a story written on the whim.

3. Lacks prose.

—> This is where the majority of my drop offs comes from. Good Prose helps to immerse the reader. If it is void of them, meaning it is too direct. Then, I just cannot continue on after a certain point. 

4. Lacks proper build up.

—> Time and time and again, I see stories unable to steadily build up to an important point, and continue riding this wave to the peak of the plot.

5. Stat screens

—> I am here to read a story, if I wanted to play a game. I can pull out my switch, play a game on my iPad, PS4/5, etc. More often than not, these does not even have a plot, or a decent one. Since that isn’t the point. 

6. Lacking of paragraphs.

—> What am I reading? A script? 🤨

This goes on and on. Oh, fun fact, this site is horribly limited. I tried to keep it very basic with the search results.

1. Fantasy, Action, Drama, Tragedy.

2. No sexual content, LitRPG/Harem.

3. Completed.

4. 1093 pages(Just randomly stopped on this)

5. Blocked off all other genres.

6. Exclude what is not interested or followed. The exclusion of not interested isn’t much, probably like one or two stories.

Yeah, only my works turned up with one other. My friend suggested I remove the tragedy requirement, so I did…and only two more were added last I remember. I wasn’t even going crazy with restrictions, the site is just lacking. 

That rant aside, it is a good enough place for works. Solid enough community, but it has some trouble getting a wider selection within it.

I know what you mean, I tend not to look at the super popular fics because I would rather spend my reading time on the fics that are hidden gems or newbies trying to gain readers. As a writer though I should probably check out what is most successful, I know. So it's a double-edged sword! I'm sure I'll get around to a couple! (Although xianxia and isekai aren't really my favourite genres so we'll see)

I have a really short suspension of disbelief (partly due to having no mind's eye or inner monologue) and the smallest things can pull me from immersion or trying to be immersed. Unfortunately, most of the Best Rated and Popular This Week tend to be this way.
It's more a kind of conformity to standards or what one expects from the genre that pulls me out. I love trying new ideas and concepts, messing with isekai or gamelit (without stats) and the like is fun for me and how I enjoy the genres. 
When one becomes too big and gets a huge following, people tend to more easily gang up on those who are critical or critique things about the world at all. I'm huge into slow building/burn world, plot and character development, so seeing when those things I personally value or appreciate are discarded or never change really hits me.

I try to read various popular stories every few months though.

Kino Wrote: I have a really short suspension of disbelief (partly due to having no mind's eye or inner monologue) and the smallest things can pull me from immersion or trying to be immersed. Unfortunately, most of the Best Rated and Popular This Week tend to be this way.
It's more a kind of conformity to standards or what one expects from the genre that pulls me out. I love trying new ideas and concepts, messing with isekai or gamelit (without stats) and the like is fun for me and how I enjoy the genres. 
When one becomes too big and gets a huge following, people tend to more easily gang up on those who are critical or critique things about the world at all. I'm huge into slow building/burn world, plot and character development, so seeing when those things I personally value or appreciate are discarded or never change really hits me.

I try to read various popular stories every few months though.
There is a confusion with GameLit I had come to notice. Peeps get this mixed up, since the branching point came out, due to peeps wanting different things from the genre. GameLit tells a story, and does not require stats and whatnot, it simply has game-like elements, can even be in a game world. LitRPG doesn’t really have a story, it has stats, and so on. The story isn’t the point of the genre, which I just find defeats the purpose of writing in the first place. In a case like that, I can just go play a game rather than use my time reading about something that most likely exists.

I understand what you mean as well. I like trying new ideas, and like a steady build up. Slower start, and increases along the way, leading to a climatic finish. A lot of stories lack this I noticed. 

I'm the exact opposite, usually only read what's in trending or on rarer occasions things catching my eye in "recently updated".

Only differing factor that I've noticed is that higher follower counts make it harder to recognise whether a story is good or bad before reading, too many reviews that say nothing or give an artificially low or high score kinda make it pointless to read the reviews in the first place.

I mean I don't want to throw any shade, but the current trending king isn't that good, right ? Might have just missed something reading 11 chapters that people reading only two seemed to have gotten.  FancyDrakan

Brogotta Wrote: I'm not sure how this works for anyone else, but for some reason, I have personally always avoided things that are popular. Doesn't matter what it is.

Cody
I can say have a similar experience, I would have a hard time following uber popular stories on other sites, because the author seemed to lose interest and the story seemed to lack the passion the author originally had. So even now I search by recent and ongoing stories for the most part.

That's basically the hipster mentality. Not a mentality I'm a big fan of in most cases -- though I guess it all depends on why you do what you do.
If I were you though, I'd try to figure out the underlying cause of my behavior. Because with that mentality you deprive yourself of a lot of good and fun things.

Do you for example prefer lesser known stuff, so you can act interesting around others?
Do you maybe not like crowds?
Do you simply have a different taste from most people?
Or maybe you like a smaller scale and a more personalized approach?

And I have no doubt there are plenty of other possible reasons.
Just think about it, and try to focus more on those underlying causes.. Because popularity in and of itself doesn't really mean much in most cases -- unless of course you are really sensitive to popularity for one reason or another.

Personally I think it's better to forget about popularity all together, and just look at quality. Sometimes popular things are good, other times they're bad. 
I also don't think you should equate rating with popularity. There are plenty of things which are rated highly but not very popular and visa versa. 

Yes, I am also like this with almost all things.

The hype for good books or movies usually sets my expectations high, then most of the time I just found it to be okay, and therefore I am disappointed because my expectations were high. Whereas with unpopular things, I have no expectations, so when I find it to be okay, I'm more likely to be like, "Hey, that was actually pretty good!"

Also, ditto to what Kino said about the conformity to genre standards. I feel like I can't read anything in a lot of the genres that RR specializes in because I never read whatever introductory piece to understand the way these tropes are being employed and are generally accepted in the genre.

Deano Wrote: That's basically the hipster mentality. Not a mentality I'm a big fan of in most cases -- though I guess it all depends on why you do what you do.
If I were you though, I'd try to figure out the underlying cause of my behavior. Because with that mentality you deprive yourself of a lot of good and fun things.

Do you for example prefer lesser known stuff, so you can act interesting around others?
Do you maybe not like crowds?
Do you simply have a different taste from most people?
Or maybe you like a smaller scale and a more personalized approach?

And I have no doubt there are plenty of other possible reasons.
Just think about it, and try to focus more on those underlying causes.. Because popularity in and of itself doesn't really mean much in most cases -- unless of course you are really sensitive to popularity for one reason or another.

Personally I think it's better to forget about popularity all together, and just look at quality. Sometimes popular things are good, other times they're bad. 
I also don't think you should equate rating with popularity. There are plenty of things which are rated highly but not very popular and visa versa. 

Interesting thought on the hipster mentality. I don't believe it fits in this case though. I am pretty sure I fit well within the redneck category, despite being an engineer. 

I suspect a more eloquent term would be pessimisticaly contrary. Yeah. And yes, I am not much for crowds. 

Cody

Basically depends on why you don't like what's popular. Like right now, OP MC is popular right? But I've been reading popular MC for several years already. I've visited RR when it was still translating moonlight sculptor, so that was really ancient times. And now I just don't want OP MC anymore (or wish fulfillment/power fantasy stories too), so I'm looking for something different. If something is different that ends up getting popular, I'm fine with trying it.  

For some reason when I read the thread title I though we were just going to list popular things, and the first thing that came to my mind was "borscht"... Anyway

It did take me quite a while to get around to reading MoL, like  I left it be until someone who's opinion I respect recommended it and it was alright. Still I mostly give the most popular stories only a brief look at the synopsis or first couple chapters to see if they immediately hook me. I don't really consume much other media so I really only interact with what permeates culture enough to reach me 

Deano Wrote: Because popularity in and of itself doesn't really mean much in most cases

I tend to find popularity means either you were just really good at marketing, or you were really good at writing for your particular audience. You hit some nail on the head. So I think either trait, and often the combination of the two, does have something to offer. At least reading as a writer. As a reader on the other hand, if you aren't into the genre or the stories on offer on Top Rated and Trending, then there shouldn't be any pressure to read them. There's so many good stories waiting to be found :) 

I agree that not liking popular things because they're popular isn't necessarily the most logical conclusion to draw. If anything, popular stuff gets popular because there's something genuinely likeable about it. 

PeoReading

Edge Wrote:

Cody
I take a look at it first, read a bit, then turn away. This is for pretty much any story, not just popular ones. The connecting point? Most does not take my interest. Which further breaks down to these points.

1. They fundamentally lack the skill to write.

—> This can be from a range of issues. Specifically grammar.

2. The story is shown not to be planned.

—> It is very rare I can read a story written on the whim.

3. Lacks prose.

—> This is where the majority of my drop offs comes from. Good Prose helps to immerse the reader. If it is void of them, meaning it is too direct. Then, I just cannot continue on after a certain point. 

4. Lacks proper build up.

—> Time and time and again, I see stories unable to steadily build up to an important point, and continue riding this wave to the peak of the plot.

5. Stat screens

—> I am here to read a story, if I wanted to play a game. I can pull out my switch, play a game on my iPad, PS4/5, etc. More often than not, these does not even have a plot, or a decent one. Since that isn’t the point. 

6. Lacking of paragraphs.

—> What am I reading? A script? 🤨

This goes on and on. Oh, fun fact, this site is horribly limited. I tried to keep it very basic with the search results.

1. Fantasy, Action, Drama, Tragedy.

2. No sexual content, LitRPG/Harem.

3. Completed.

4. 1093 pages(Just randomly stopped on this)

5. Blocked off all other genres.

6. Exclude what is not interested or followed. The exclusion of not interested isn’t much, probably like one or two stories.

Yeah, only my works turned up with one other. My friend suggested I remove the tragedy requirement, so I did…and only two more were added last I remember. I wasn’t even going crazy with restrictions, the site is just lacking. 

That rant aside, it is a good enough place for works. Solid enough community, but it has some trouble getting a wider selection within it.
The issue there isn't the tragedy tag.

It's the "completed" one.

All of royal road is technically absolutely indie... so the most popular book on here is tiny in comparison to published books in big shops or even authors outside of it who have their own following. RR writers are absolutely tiny in comparison to some youtube stars or movies made in hollywood. Popularity scale goes way up with billion-dollar entertainment industry.

For example on royal road I have 300k views on Romantically Apocalyptic, while outside of it I have 108 million views.

Avitue Wrote: The issue there isn't the tragedy tag.

It's the "completed" one.
Yep, that is what I figured as well at the end. The site has been out for a bit of time now, so it is kinda baffling that it does not have more works within those genres, and slight exclusion. That is completed. 

Needless to say, I am not fond of reading ongoing works. Not unless I specifically know the person, and have a look into their plan. If I can see an established pattern leading to completion, I’d feel more at ease jumping in.