Are pictures better than text to attracts readers

https%3A%2F%2Fi.postimg.cc%2FXvkyY2dY%2FThe-Untameable-quote.jpgWhat are you thoughts on this? What was more effective for you, pictures or text, or a combination of both? or example, would this picture attracts more your attention or this block of text.

( Book 1 Completed)  A young arbolarbre (Treeman) called Oak Quercus must stop his carnivorous mad King (Xidor Cedre) from sending his nation into a war to feed his gluttony for flesh and his  sudden quest for immortality.
However, he will have to face opposition from his vegetarian countrymen with diverging opinions on how to stop the King's madness. 
From the end of book 1 and onwards, it'll feature some elements of progression fantasy with a soul-eating mechanic.
Discover it in the first book of the Arbolarbres chronicles (One chapter every week day)
New rewritten version coming soon in the following months.

Re: Are pictures better than text to attracts readers

Images that are readable, perhaps. That specific one looks, ehm, not-high-quality.

In general, pretty pictures get more clicks. Whether they get more quality clicks, I couldn't guess.

Also, your grey text is a bit hard to read. I'd suggest not using that colour, preferably leaving it at default.

So, for me specifically, neither is particularly successful. But I'm also one of the more picky ones, so maybe get a second opinion.

When I read a book it usually goes something like this: Front cover, Title, Synopsis

On the subject of the cover you showed, it's not good, it has plain green text overwritting the main image which is placed in the background with plain white text in the middle also overwritting the main image.

Text usually isn't good to put on a cover unless it's made to look artistically pleasing, not something done in ms paint, look at many of the japense or korean light novels for inspiration, they sometimes make their titles as long as sentences, but they usually place them on the sides with nice artistic lettering. The main image isn't disrupted, usually.

Otherwise to keep life simple, keep the cover to the title and maybe subscript showing the volume.

If you mean a graphic featuring a quote that you'd like to add at the start/end/middle of a chapter to grab the reader's attention, I don't think that's a bad idea! In fact, I think it would be pretty cool!

I would say that making sure the graphic is clear (i.e. the text is readable over the image) would be critical to it working. Also, I don't know if this is relevant in your case, but I would personally make sure to use free-to-use images and graphics.

If you mean using that kind of a graphic as a cover for a book, I think maybe it would be easier to use something less text-heavy because small thumbnails won't show all of that text. But I think you aren't talking about a cover, right? peoconfused

This isn't really working, yeah. You have a low-contrast image to begin with, and you want the mage guy (and your title) to be your focus. 

Problems with the green text: Not contrasted enough to be easily visible against the background, but can't be much more contrasted because the image itself would get overpowered if it was. Overwrites the guys head, messing with the oh-so-important silhouette (which is one of, if not THE, first and thus most important thing a reader can notice of a cover). 

Problem with the write text: Is difficult to read because it's the same color as the ring. Also messes with the silhouette, but depending on the cropping it might not be as bad (if it wasn't for the aforementioned color problem). Will compete for attention with your title, if you're adding one. 

A rule of thumb is that you can have about three points of focus in a visual image until it starts becoming too much. In the original image (without the text) that's the ring, and the guys head, and then perhaps the readers eye moves to the bow. Text should not be the focal point of a cover like this, with the possible exception of the title. 

Yes, a striking image can resonate with a potential reader and attract their attention more than a text cover.  We a very visual species for the most part.  

Without any previous introduction, the cover is what attracts the potential reader first, usually followed by the title and then the summary - this is hopefully after they already filtered through to select the genres/tags they want.  

Different genres tend to lean towards a specific style of cover: fantasy tends to go dark with a glowing accent color, non-fiction tends to go light with simple font, romance is usually lighter, young adult is usually dark and fairly minimal.  This is especially true in American/Western cover art.

All you really need is the image and a clear, readable title.  The font should not be too fancy and the color should not blend into the background.  If the text starts to blend into the background too much, putting a black or white border or halo around the letters will make it stand out more and be easier to read.  

I would keep any descriptive text (a quote, a snippet describing the character/situation/story) small and minimal, but that can be difficult on a 400x600 resolution image.  We have the benefit on RR of having a summary right next to the cover, so the small descriptive text usually isn't needed - but it can be used to help balance out an image.  

In the case of your cover, I'd keep the image and focus on having the only text be the title.  The book title is usually larger and bolder than the series title and the series title is usually a little above or right below the larger book title.  Keep the text centered.  If you're trying to figure out where to place them vertically, keep in mind the rule of 3rds to try to keep it visually appealing.  

The red ring attracts the readers attention immediately, as it stands out from the dark background.  That should be dead center (horizontally) and centered around the top 2/3rds.  It's okay to cut off part of the shield, as it's very dark and shaded and would blend back anyway.  Then, I'd put the book title in the lower 1/3rd, especially if you want to stick with a lighter colored text.  The lower 1/3 is darker, with less light colored space, so the text will stand out and be easier to read.  If at all possible, make the text white with a glowing red halo around it similar to the ring.  

This should make the eye go from the ring down to the title.

Regarding the colors: I would try to keep the accent color around red.  I don't suggest going with green in this case, mainly because red and green are highly contrasting and jarring in this case, and for a lot of us, they remind us of stop lights, Christmas/holidays/festivities, and Mario and Luigi.

Now, let's say all we're working with is Microsoft Paint (which I'm not looking down on; you can do a lot with Paint!)  

You can crop the image to try to get the ring centered.  You can still keep the text, but if you cannot add a border or halo around the letters to make the title more readable, put a black bar across the image where you would like to put the title.  Then, put the title in white over the text.  It's a bit minimal and basic, but you want the reader to be able to read the title.  

All you need the cover to do is attract a potential reader.  It doesn't need to be fancy or super aesthetically pleasing (although, that can greatly help). The summary next to it is what will get them to commit to at least giving the story a shot. 

Good luck!  DrakanWine