How to get readers?

I've been writing well, but I haven't really been ultra-super impressed by the amount of readers. Is there something I'm doing wrong here, either in-book or out? I had some stuff to deal with and took a quick break, and suddenly my average reads dropped when I thought they would accumulate.

Re: How to get readers?

I looked at the blurb for your book. Looks like you are going to be good on the world building, but I am still confused as to where the story could possibly go. 

The intro to your story is critical in getting commitment from your readers. I am no pro by any means, but at first glance, you might want to:

Back off a little on the up front world detail in the blurb. It's good, but I feel you put more than needed in there. Gives me the impression you might go overboard with it.

Introduce your MC. Who are they, where are they headed, and what might be lying in wait for them? Adventure, struggle... 

Also, you will probably need some more pages in there. My understanding is that readers here on RR tend to go for books that are a good ways along.

Otherwise, it actually looks interesting. Good luck out there.

Cody

It looks good, I'd say that maybe doing some review swaps would be good to get some advanced reviews. That might provide potential readers with more of an idea of what they're in for. I've also found any time I get a review it really boosts my numbers. The algorithm loves engagement it seems. Also more in depth reviews will be really helpful to you as a writer too to find out what could be improved if it is a writing thing.

I think a lot of people see a setting they aren't used to and aren't sure what to expect. Personally I think that's one of the fun things about reading, but everyone's different. In my own experience and conversations on the forums I've learned that people tend to be nervous of multiple POVs as well, especially before a work is finished. What I hear most is that multi-pov fics are best for binging after they have an arc or two completed so readers don't have to wait weeks to read what happens next for that particular character. So readership will probably start curving upward the longer you're posting. I'm in the same battle with the multi-pov original setting situation. :) 

One tactic that might help you is asking questions in the post-chapter notes to the readers you do have. Encouraging engagement and comments would increase the likelihood of the reader remembering your work and mentioning it to their friends. Also engagement on the forums I hear is useful! It lets other writers see your work and you can network and help one another. 

I wish you the best of luck in improving readership!

welcome to the forum, it's a great place to engage
you'll find people here you give feedback on every page
do some review swaps if you want to give something back
sometimes that's what it takes to get a new tale on track

community is the best thing about this old website
and remember, one can fail despite doing things right
luck and friends are a big help, just like the work you do
anyways, i wish the best of luck and friends to you!

DrakanWine

Number one thing I've noticed: Post often. Like, it doesn't matter how good your cover is, how nice of a blurb you have, how amazing the writing itself is if nobody sees it. For new(er) stories, the only way you're going to be seen by people is in the Latest Updates section. Try to set a schedule and stick to that schedule (most people seem to recommend once a week. If you can write that quickly, go for it. I'm personally going for 3 times a week unto I get through my backlog--which is soon--then going to once or twice a week myself).

You have a good cover, your blurb could be better (but another poster went into detail here), but you have 15 chapters over almost 4 months. This isn't a bad thing itself, but it doesn't help people discover your writing. If you're able (I can't stress the if you're able enough. Don't burn yourself out just for readers), try to post more often. That doesn't mean post a huge backlog at once; instead, try to spread it out over a few hours to days. For instance, posting once a day for five days is better than posting five times all in the span of five minutes. Posting once a day allows you to have five different times of showing up on Latest Updates vs just the once. This is huge when it comes to getting viewers.

Other things you can try are going to the Reviewing Forum and looking for review swaps. This guarantees at least some readers, plus gets you some valuable feedback on the writing itself.

Vyctorill Wrote: I've been writing well, but I haven't really been ultra-super impressed by the amount of readers. Is there something I'm doing wrong here, either in-book or out? I had some stuff to deal with and took a quick break, and suddenly my average reads dropped when I thought they would accumulate.
I read through a few of the beginning chapters. Your paragraphs are huge and could be broken up into several smaller ones so it's easier on the eyes—I think you realized this with recent chapters so it's definitely a big improvement in my eyes. 

For dialogue: Never combine multiple characters talking in the same paragraph. It can be jarring as hell and is the most amateur thing imaginable. Whenever there is a different speaker do a new paragraph and have dialogue tags indicate the new speaker.

And regarding actual readers: it's sort of an unspoken rule that readers won't give your story a chance until it has at the very minimum 20 chapters. The synopsis is already mentioned by other posters, and other than that the most you can do is be consistent with uploaders... and that's about all you can do besides buying ads or shredding off your dignity with self-promotion on the forums not that any reader will even browse these threads in the first place.

I say this a lot with topics like this but it's simply going to boil down to pure, unadulterated luck. I don't mean to sound pessimistic or jaded, but it ultimately just comes to that; readers come here for isekai and litrpg and anything else (and even litrpg and isekai) will either float or sink. Just keep writing and you might eventually pull in readers... or you might just plateau and seemingly never pull numbers like most of the popular stories on here, or any webnovel platform really. It's just the way the cookie crumbles. 

I have two fictions. One that is my baby that I've worked on for months and didn't start posting until I had 40 chapters in the tank. Now I have ten posted, and 45 in the tank(got inspired). That one posts MWF and it's good.

But the trash one? The 300-500 words DAILY one I post? It's got even more engagement.  DrakanThink

So yeah just be consistent, I imagine that will help immensely. If you don't have a backlog, generate one.

Also I'll do a review swap with you but I expect a changed blurbity blurb! Come at me when you have one!

Vyctorill Wrote: I've been writing well, but I haven't really been ultra-super impressed by the amount of readers. Is there something I'm doing wrong here, either in-book or out? I had some stuff to deal with and took a quick break, and suddenly my average reads dropped when I thought they would accumulate.

A lot of people have given great advice, but I just want to add a little bit more onto what's already been said.

Your cover looks nice and eye-catching, but your blurb/synopsis is a little too vague. Maybe try rewriting it to focus more on your main character and plot rather then the world and setting? Most readers on RR seem to want to form a connection with the characters before the world, setting, or world-building. Change it up so that the first sentence or two mentions your main character(s) and a general idea of what the story will be about. You can be as vague or specific about it as you want, just something to catch the reader's interest.

I also want to recommend you consider reformatting your paragraphs. Larger paragraphs are harder to read, and are relatively easy to get lost in. This is especially true for mobile readers (a large portion of RR's reader base reads from mobile devices). Large paragraphs mean it's harder to find their spot when they lose their place while reading. Consider breaking up your paragraphs and reformatting your dialogue to improve readability. You should also consider running your work through a free editing program like Grammarly.

The best way to get more readers on RR is to get more visibility on your work and one of the best ways is to update frequently and/or consistently. The way to get readers is to get more eye-balls on your work and a lot of readers watch the Latest Updates section.

O_Weaver Wrote:

A lot of people have given great advice, but I just want to add a little bit more onto what's already been said.

Your cover looks nice and eye-catching, but your blurb/synopsis is a little too vague. Maybe try rewriting it to focus more on your main character and plot rather then the world and setting? Most readers on RR seem to want to form a connection with the characters before the world, setting, or world-building. Change it up so that the first sentence or two mentions your main character(s) and a general idea of what the story will be about. You can be as vague or specific about it as you want, just something to catch the reader's interest.

I also want to recommend you consider reformatting your paragraphs. Larger paragraphs are harder to read, and are relatively easy to get lost in. This is especially true for mobile readers (a large portion of RR's reader base reads from mobile devices). Large paragraphs mean it's harder to find their spot when they lose their place while reading. Consider breaking up your paragraphs and reformatting your dialogue to improve readability. You should also consider running your work through a free editing program like Grammarly.

The best way to get more readers on RR is to get more visibility on your work and one of the best ways is to update frequently and/or consistently. The way to get readers is to get more eye-balls on your work and a lot of readers watch the Latest Updates section.

I should note here that O_Weaver is not an alt account for me, but I want to pretend that they are. Be consistent!

Boy, I'd love the magic pill to collect readers too. The problem is, as stated before, it comes down to luck. I had one story, Geniecide, do okay here, and another, Stone Singer, absolutely tank. My current story, Iam D'Mann, is lagging. For me, though, it's about comments and reviews. I thrive on feedback, be it good or bad. I'd rather have that than a ton of readers.

There's absolutely. No. Way. 

I looked at your story earlier tonight before I saw this thread...!!! And actually, I left a comment about your paragraphing. Think about the environment in which people are reading. It's a site on the Internet, there's a thousand things we could drift off and do right now. 

To further illustrate my environment as a reader, it's the wee hours of the morning as I'm pulling an all-nighter. I'm drifting between reading stories and the RR forums because it is so painful trying to do this.... I'm actually supposed to be reading this dense, technical research that I do not understand. Your thick paragraphs did not give my eyes a break between pages.  peolaughing
(I hope you can find that imagery funny--I mean that in good humor.)

You just want smaller paragraphs, and you'll get more readers all other things equal.

You can probably look at any of the popular fictions on the site for examples. There's also my own story, since I obviously think that I know how to do fiction paragraphs.  DrakanThink

It seems your work is pretty wordy(read: paragraphs aren't one-liners), with a fairly developed plot that doesn't provide answers immediately, and advanced worldbuilding.

You also start your synopsis with a philosophical statement:

Gold, Glamour and Glory. These are the three things that drive exploration and most of human accomplishment, from inventions to wars. Indeed, the best and the worst of what we have to offer all boil down to power, material wealth and reverence from the masses. 

Looks like your work is aimed at the so-called "homo sapiens", that is a thinking human....while most people are homo erectus. 
Trust me, there are countless good stories here, on this very site, that get buried under the influx of 1000 chapter long pantser litrpgs that don't have much going for them beyond the premise. 

Like others said, frequency is needed. At the very least once a week (I know most of us are just doing this as a hobby). Besides that, you can't be vague with your blurb. The trend now is even the titles of webnovels are paragraphs. Don't need to follow that, my title is even more vague than yours. But the blurb can't be vague. I know in the past, books tend to have vague blurbs, but can't have that now because readers will just skip over it. 

And also the paragraphing like others said. It looks like a research paper.     

1. Optimize upload time to best time that gathers you the most readers.

2. Optimize cover art to one that's most catchy. It doesn't even have to be well drawn - Thundamoo's sketch cover and Beware of Chicken's chicken on white background gathered TONS of readers in their first few days.

3. Optimize your book name to become more catchy - mention themes in title with brackets.

Having done ONLY this I get 4-10 readers per new chapter post. Take a look at my book's cover and amusing brackets descriptor as example.

4. Make friends with other writers. Once you have a big group of writing friends - share and help promote each other's books.

5. Write often and stuck to a schedule.