Re: Thoughts on LITRPG?

HereBeTreasure Wrote: I have a friend, went to a very prestigious university, perfect GPA in a math type major. This might seem like random information until you read below and truly understand how his dopamine payoff system is structured. 

We talk about steam games all the time, he tells me that he "doesn't like story" in his games. He doesn't watch TV, he doesn't read books, but he likes playing chess and games like Path of Exile where it's about optimizing loot. When he plays Apex Legends, he doesn't care about shooting, or positioning, or pathing, he only cares about picking up purple and gold attachments and weapons and gets off to that. 

It's really fucking weird, to be completely honest. But it's very obvious that his brain is wired differently from mine. What gives him serotonin doesn't give me serotonin and vice versa. I like RTS and MOBA because I enjoy spacial control and resource management, he despises the concept of space and enjoys character build trees only. 

Now that you've read that, can you see why he's so good at securing a perfect GPA in a math related major? It's about his serotonin payoff structure giving him a high for certain kinds of achievements but not others. 

Writing on royalroad feels like appealing to a legion of people with my friend's type of personality. Not exactly the same, but in the same genre of gets-off-to-stuff-that's-inconceivable-for-me.
I appreciate the insight on why numbers get people invested in certain stories. But I mostly referring to the Warlock's Gate health system anecdote that you mentioned earlier. 

Re: Thoughts on LITRPG?

FGC_Checkmate Wrote: I appreciate the insight on why numbers get people invested in certain stories. But I mostly referring to the Warlock's Gate health system anecdote that you mentioned earlier.

I wrote that comment while you replied, meaning I didn't see your reply on the page until after hitting submit 

Didn't look too much into it, but Warlock's Gate uses a percentage based health system where the health points are up to the millions. The author had a reason for doing this that made sense, but readers got angry before getting to the explanation and simply just ratings bombed the story for deviation from the norm. This is common practice on royalroad, which is why we as authors just end up conforming our stories. 

A side benefit of conformity is that no matter how many 0.5s you receive, the 5 stars will hose them down. But when you flip the situation... good luck author friend, you'll be needing it.