Alexthymia and military use in writing

I have seen several stories where Alexthymia is used, most often as part of the MC.
I have suffered from Alexthymia all my life, and that said would be pleased to offer any insight a writer might need to bring it out into the light and give it the feel that it has irl. From my pov I cannot think of anything worse to happen to a person than Alexthymia. It is not a psych issue. It is neurological and there is for all purpose no treatment.

Second I am a retired combat vet with 32 years split between the US Army, IDF and private sector.  And I would again be please to offer any insight I can into military life, tactics, weapons use and effects etc.

I want nothing return.  Expect maybe help on what I am writing.

Re: Alexthymia and military use in writing

In terms of combined arms Opertaions. Does the Colonel or Battalion Commander take command of Armor, Infantry and Air all at once? Or is that task given to other Officers? I'm about to go into a big war in my story and I'm still having a bit of problem understanding the Table of Orginzation of Calvarly and Combined Arms Bridges. 

There's also the thing with Brigade Combat Teams. How many types are there? I know there's Infantry and Armored Brigade Combat Teams but does Logistics or Air Bridge Combat Teams exist? 

Do you have any info on who the General usually talks to in coordinating Theater large Operations other than his Colonels and other Generals?

Re: Alexthymia and military use in writing

ArchiveOfStories Wrote: In terms of combined arms Opertaions. Does the Colonel or Battalion Commander take command of Armor, Infantry and Air all at once? Or is that task given to other Officers? I'm about to go into a big war in my story and I'm still having a bit of problem understanding the Table of Orginzation of Calvarly and Combined Arms Bridges. 

There's also the thing with Brigade Combat Teams. How many types are there? I know there's Infantry and Armored Brigade Combat Teams but does Logistics or Air Bridge Combat Teams exist? 

Do you have any info on who the General usually talks to in coordinating Theater large Operations other than his Colonels and other Generals?

It's very unlikely for anyone except a general or colonel to have control of both ground and air. Infantry and armor, yes.

For brigade combat teams, that is a defined role (like the striker brigade combat team) where there's 2-3 battalions of ~400-600 people of say strykers, one combat support battalion(whose line companies get split up between the battalions as direct support)and 1 battalion of infantry( or if it's an infantry IBCT, then one BN of armor/cav) Each battalion is commanded by a lieutenant colonel, and the line companies 4-6 per battalion are commanded by captains, usually. Companies are 100-200 people, usually 160. a brigade is commander by a full bed colonel, and reports to a division or corps commander, which is either a one or two star.

So there are brigades that are not brigade combat teams. But if you were going to deploy a brigade, you would deploy a brigade combat team. You might not deploy the brigades organic(work together in garrison) battalions, but there will be something in there where there should be that.

If you're talking about a theatre, usually there is a ground forces commander who has some air assets, but the ground forces commander would probably coordinate with his staff, or the combatant commander, usually a four-star general or an ambassador level civilian. But for the most part they are coordinating with their direct subordinate commanders AND their staffs.

There should be air brigades but that's unlikely to be a "combat team", more of a "combat wing" or whatever designation the air force uses, this would be separate from the combat air battalions that fall under brigades.

I hope this helps. If that doesn't clarify it, ask me more questions.