Alright! You've seen what DOESN'T work for Marketing, how about telling us what that was so we can learn from (...)

Simple idea! 

You've probably wasted time trying to get views, either here or in other places. Maybe you ran a Facebook ad and that work for someone else but not you? Maybe you found a super niche site that refers people to rr.

Whatever it is, tell us what it was so when the rest of us think about it, it makes sense.

I'll go first. I made my substack(link in profile) and I posted a thread here about using a writing group, and apparently substack lets your track who clicks your stuff and follows through because when I posted the same thing on Reddit it got 28? plus reads. So If I'm posting about writing groups, I'll link it from reddit first as there's more traffic here and less interest here. 

Also wattpad. Nuff Said. Even though Red Mist is #80/560 in progression. I am there for curiosity only.

Re: Alright! You've seen what DOESN'T work for Marketing, how about telling us what that was so we can learn (...)

What doesn't work: advertising on forum, review swaps, asking for feedback. Most users don't use forum and don't care too much about reviews.

What works: posting daily and consistently, shout-outs from big authors, hitting rising star, have a review of your story gets highlighted on the home page. The reason is obvious.

Idk about buying ad space. It could be hit or miss. I know a guy bought ad space on some hentai site. It did add five-digits numbers of views to his story, but still didn't get him to front page... so, yeah.

Re: Alright! You've seen what DOESN'T work for Marketing, how about telling us what that was so we can learn (...)

Crusixblade Wrote:
Weavervale Wrote: I’m sorry, he bought ad space on a hentai site? Er what? And it got views?

Actually...given the types of people who go to those sites? If you are writing a weeb-ish style story, it would probably work well...even without H stuff...

that's actually kinda brilliant.
this guy knows demographics 

I haven't run any ads yet. Kinda working the experiment with a fellow author who has run ads.

They DID achieve significant growth rapidly. Thus: Ads do work.

The problem then becomes retention. You have created quality, now how do you keep it up?

IMO, the best way to decide how to market is to put it out there for a few months and gain natural reviews and feedback. Advertise once you hit a few hundred reviews comments and reviews to let you know what the concerns of the readership are. 

Once you address (or choose to ignore) them, it's probably a good time for an ad. From what I've seen, a really good book running an ad (I believe one of the other rising stars did this and jumped about 500 followers in a day... their average rating is a solid 4.8 stars +) can make it work really well.

Now they're on the front-page and killing it!

As far as I'm aware, the likelihood of hitting Rising stars is pretty high so long as you're consistent and run a few simple rules.

1. Experiment with posting times. I find that around 7 am/pm EST are great, as people are either getting ready to hit RR's frontpage then, or will search new releases at about those times. 

2. Never post on the hour. Post a few minutes behind the hour. This keeps you on the front page longer. You'll work it out eventually if you post long enough, but yeah. It's worth doing. I found almost a 100% increase in readership after my 8th chapter when I discovered this tidbit.

3. Be kind. It's easy to get defensive about your work, and while there might be some people on the site who have had a bad day or just hate what you've written, be kind.
There's no point going to war with someone over a bad review or rating. It's simply an opinion. Thank them for having it, apologise that you disappointed them (if you're really cool about it) and ask for guidance.

They might not be willing to help out, but from the peeps who didn't like my work, I got a hell of a lot out of it. Make sure to thank them for pointing out actual problems, and be honest with yourself!

4. KEEP WRITING!

The only way to guarantee you don't get reads and follows is to post nothing up. 

5. The best form of attention is word of mouth. Hit Reddit up. Post comments telling people about your novel. See how it goes!

I had one reader do this on my behalf and it's pulled in about 50 discrete views of my novel. I'm a bit older than the average writer and had no idea about reddit. It wasn't on my radar.

Now it very firmly is.

Those are the five things I've worked out.
Hope they help a bunch!

Personally I’ve found that, if you’ve got something unique going on, review swaps and forum presence DO work. Not every reader posts on the forums, but a good chunk of them scan it, especially the review and marketing areas (you can see from the view vs comment counts). I’ve had about a follower a day since I started posting my story, and I literally do not advertise anywhere other than RR. However, I’m super diligent about new opportunities to get myself seen, and I’m always looking for new ways to draw people in. 

Weavervale Wrote: Also wattpad. Nuff Said.
Sometimes I question if Wattpad is as terrible as we say over here on RR. It's two completely different sites with different interests, of course RR stories don't do well on Wattpad so we end up bad-talking it. No one is really looking for the "progression" tag on Wattpad admittedly, which shows with those lower numbers that you stated. (Although I am confused how discoverability works even for stories in the popular genres... Nonexistent? Maybe?)

I wish the Wattpad forums weren't shut down. It's weird how little useful information I have been able to find about the site. 

My story is one of those bad genre blends. The action, plot, and power progression lends it to RR. If I drilled into the romance, it could be well-suited for Wattpad except I don't want to do the things that fully play to the romance tropes.... (Think teenage demigoddess in a love triangle with two uber powerful gods. I'm trying to write that in the way it would actually go down rather than the popular trope-y way.) Regardless, I think that my story could do better on Wattpad than some of the usual things I see cross-posting from here to there. There's a chance that I might try it just to experiment, but I just wish there was more information.

I'm fairly new to this site, but on Reddit I put up an advert in the Wattpad group asking for "Read for Read" to get feedback on my story while also giving feedback to others. I've been having a good time over there and getting a decent number of views as a result. Had to work at it, though.

Has anyone tried to find a Reddit for Royal Road? Might be able to get some traction in a Reddit group somewhere. There are writing communities.

HereBeTreasure Wrote:
Crusixblade Wrote:
Weavervale Wrote: I’m sorry, he bought ad space on a hentai site? Er what? And it got views?

Actually...given the types of people who go to those sites? If you are writing a weeb-ish style story, it would probably work well...even without H stuff...

that's actually kinda brilliant.
this guy knows demographics
Results are results. LMAO.

What definitely doesn't work: Posting story updates to Twitter when you don't have a following. I have maybe 30~40 people who follow me, most are bots or people I know personally, many aren't active anymore, and I hardly use Twitter for anything else cause... it's Twitter. I've pretty much dropped using it for story updates since no readers were coming from there, and I haven't actually properly used my account in weeks.

kieranpierce Wrote:
Sometimes I question if Wattpad is as terrible as we say over here on RR. It's two completely different sites with different interests, of course RR stories don't do well on Wattpad so we end up bad-talking it. No one is really looking for the "progression" tag on Wattpad admittedly, which shows with those lower numbers that you stated. (Although I am confused how discoverability works even for stories in the popular genres... Nonexistent? Maybe?)

I wish the Wattpad forums weren't shut down. It's weird how little useful information I have been able to find about the site. 

My story is one of those bad genre blends. The action, plot, and power progression lends it to RR. If I drilled into the romance, it could be well-suited for Wattpad except I don't want to do the things that fully play to the romance tropes.... (Think teenage demigoddess in a love triangle with two uber powerful gods. I'm trying to write that in the way it would actually go down rather than the popular trope-y way.) Regardless, I think that my story could do better on Wattpad than some of the usual things I see cross-posting from here to there. There's a chance that I might try it just to experiment, but I just wish there was more information.
Depending on your genre, I could see Wattpad maybe being doable. I've heard a problem with the lack of forums is also that it's now very difficult to get new eyes on your story since that eliminates one of the places people would typically advertise on there. That said, my attempt at using Wattpad was short-lived. I don't know if it was a temporary issue or what, but there were icons and images missing on the site and the text editor repeatedly lagged and froze up so many times as I was adding my drafts to the site that I pulled my story before making any of the chapters publically available. But I couldn't tell you if that's a consistent or long-lasting issue cause... Well, as you said, the lack of forums makes it hard to get information.

kieranpierce Wrote:

Wattpad used to be much better for new authors and advertising. The forums definitely helped as I remember their being marketing areas where you could ask for book reviews or simply promote your story whenever you wanted. I would say once the forums where taken away and they started to add more paid only content the wave of new authors died. Alot of the fantasy novels I noticed that had hype there moved here/tapas in 2017 - 2019 ish permanently. Because back in 2015 - 2017 we had specific communities that reviewed anime based fantasy or just fantasy sub genres, magazines and even did their own award events for them. And now it's just dead there.

There’s a bunch of official discord servers that I’ve joined including the substack one where writers talk about marketing and other writerly stuff. Has anyone seen or used discord to help with their marketing(not as a patreon perk), or am I just heading into a writing circle jerk  DrakanThinking

But elle griffins stuff is great, so maybe I should just go by what those authors think I should be doing?