Magic/Power System. What am I missing? What am I not seeing? Should I change anything?

Hello fellow readers, authors, and lurkers.
I'm currently developing a Magic/Power system for an upcoming novel I plan on writing (and eventually posting on RR).

My mind is, typically, a chaotic storm of ideas. So, it's somewhat hard to streamline a set of ideas and rules and then chase that without applying drastic changes down the line.

Currently, I developed a certain system which, as I said, I plan on applying to the novel. Below I'll describe the system in the best and simplest way I can. The goal is, if possible, to have you guys find and even nitpick certain things about the system, things I didn't even think; kinda like a judge really.

I appreciate any feedback and input, without further delay... the system.

- Acquiring magic
The body is divided into three ethereal aspects; Power, Speed, and Spirit.
To access magic one must connect each of these aspects with an Awakening Stone. This process can be done with a single Awakening Stone, usually done by the not-so-wealthy, or with multiple Awakening Stones, usually done by the wealthy.

Once this entire process is done, your entire being is faced with a tribulation (a trial of sorts, inside your own body, mind, and soul).
The result of this tribulation provides you with a Class and Abilities, mostly based on how you handled the trial regardless of success or failure.

Example: An adventurer from a poor family may use a single Awakening Stone of Fire and use mostly physical force to handle their tribulation. This results in a Class heavily suited for physical combat with Abilities based on the element of fire.

An adventurer from a very rich family, with hand-picked Awakening Stones and a planned way to handle the tribulation to be faced, has a high chance to be rewarded with a Class tailored for what they had in mind.

- Number Of Abilities
Always important, the number of abilities, the number of boxes, the number of information, and math both the readers and the author have to use.
As of now, every Class is awarded a total of 10 Abilities.

An Aura ability, a Sensory ability, two obligatory Self-boosting abilities, two obligatory Manifestation abilities (for example a fireball), and the remaining four are a mix of self-boosting or manifestation.

- Progression
Through usage, Abilities progress, gaining further bonuses and at times changing altogether. Once all Abilities progress to a certain tier so does the Class.

- Can two different people have the same Class.
Definitely, the earlier you're in your Class the more likely you're to share it with others like you. The further you progress, and the more tribulations you handle, the more your Class upgrades to be unique to the manner in which you handle the problems thrown at you.

Re: Magic/Power System. What am I missing? What am I not seeing? Should I change anything?

I like that you've considered the implications of class in the magic system, I think that's neat. I also quite like that you need to activate the stones with the three ethereal aspects. It's also a unique trio of things, Power, Speed and Spirit. I do hope they make a frequent appearance in the lore, that would be cool. 

When you say the more tribulations they face, do you mean that they can multi-class? Or by tribulations do you just mean the more they use their skills? 

It makes me wonder, If someone tried to use a new stone after they already had a class, what would happen? Would they just change class? If so what about their previous abilities? 

Interesting! :) 

Re: Magic/Power System. What am I missing? What am I not seeing? Should I change anything?

Acquiring Magic
  1. Is there a limit on the number of Stones you can use? 
  2. Are the advantages of the wealthy solely limited to precision in Class and Ability selection? Or are they also generally stronger Classes and Abilities?
  3. Can you fail the awakening or tribulation and, if so, what are the consequences?
Abilities
  1. I've seen LitRPGs with limited ability slots, though yours is fairly unique in that slots are reserved for certain types of abilities. 
  2. What does an Aura ability do? It almost sounds like it could overlap with the other types. 
Progression
  1. Is there some quality that must come with usage? I.e., can simple rote repetition against a training dummy suffice? 
Same Class
  1. What other tribulations? (Unclear from your description that there are tribulations beyond the initial one).
Finally, there's a certain philosophy behind your system that's not explicit, but I think should be made: Your Class reflects who you are as a person. 

Kathy Wrote: I like that you've considered the implications of class in the magic system, I think that's neat. I also quite like that you need to activate the stones with the three ethereal aspects. It's also a unique trio of things, Power, Speed and Spirit. I do hope they make a frequent appearance in the lore, that would be cool. 

When you say the more tribulations they face, do you mean that they can multi-class? Or by tribulations do you just mean the more they use their skills? 

It makes me wonder, If someone tried to use a new stone after they already had a class, what would happen? Would they just change class? If so what about their previous abilities? 

Interesting! :)

The more they use their skills, the more said skills develop. This will eventually allow the Class itself to evolve, forcing the person in question to go through another tribulation. In this case the 'tribulation' is an expanded version of the initial one to acquire a Class. As the Class evolves time and time again the tribulations become more personal in order to better tailor the Class to the now stronger and veteran adventurer.

luda305 Wrote: Acquiring Magic
  1. Is there a limit on the number of Stones you can use? 
  2. Are the advantages of the wealthy solely limited to precision in Class and Ability selection? Or are they also generally stronger Classes and Abilities?
  3. Can you fail the awakening or tribulation and, if so, what are the consequences?
Abilities
  1. I've seen LitRPGs with limited ability slots, though yours is fairly unique in that slots are reserved for certain types of abilities. 
  2. What does an Aura ability do? It almost sounds like it could overlap with the other types. 
Progression
  1. Is there some quality that must come with usage? I.e., can simple rote repetition against a training dummy suffice? 
Same Class
  1. What other tribulations? (Unclear from your description that there are tribulations beyond the initial one).
Finally, there's a certain philosophy behind your system that's not explicit, but I think should be made: Your Class reflects who you are as a person.

1- The limit is three stones. Each aspect of your 'self' endures one stone. So, either 1 stone, 2, or 3.

2- Just precision.

3-You can fail a tribulation but not in the sense of; you don't get a Class. Failure, in fact, is equally as important as success or how you handle the tribulation. It all helps determine what should be gifted to you.

2- Think of an Aura as a passive ability. Socially it is used to measure the power of an individual. An example: You accurately know the location of any Awakened individuals within a 'certain distance', regardless of cloaking abilities. This may fail due to rank disparity.

1- There is! For an ability to progress one must show effort, commitment, and cunning in its usage. Your own 'self' must understand that you're learning rather than repeating.

1- As your Class evolves you suffer an expanded tribulation from your initial one. Each evolution, and therefore each tribulation, becomes more personal and specific than the other. Tailoring your Class to the person you're becoming.

You're totally right, your Class reflects who you're down to your core.

luda305 Wrote:
Rxlr Wrote: 3-You can fail a tribulation but not in the sense of; you don't get a Class. Failure, in fact, is equally as important as success or how you handle the tribulation. It all helps determine what should be gifted to you.
So, like if I laid down and took a nap instead of engaging with the scenario, I might get a (sloth) class?

You might be onto something there... yes... However, is worth noting, such a feat would take a huge force of will. Although the tribulation is mostly a trick of the mind combined with the magic of an Awakening Stone, the pain you feel inside this 'trial' is very real. The wounds may not remain, but the pain you allowed yourself to feel may scar you in different ways.

One thing that I don’t often see being mentioned in litrpg stories is where the system comes from and how it does what it does. Is the world a giant simulation making the idea of physics and magic equivalent, if magic exists does it follow a rule set , does the system power the magic or vice versa, do you need to use the system to use the magic (probably not as applicable with the stones and all).

Maybe these questions are a bit meta or outside of the context of the post, but I found them pretty useful when I was developing a system for one of my stories.

Have you thought into how the limitations of the magic play into how it is used ? For Red Mist I have a hard magic system(the red mist in the title) and a soft magic system(the divine link) although characters call it the same thing.

For the primary it’s pegged to how rested and how much food you’ve eaten. If you expend too much magical energy you literally become gaunt but those abilities are highly defined like Freyas connection ability which allows her to communicate with most living beings or to form a larger bond with a traveling companion, linking them for life. 

The soft magic system, again thinking of limiting relies upon the genetic inheritance of the ability + the creatutes innate regrowth of that ability( think divine breath from warbreaker, but it regrows every day) the things that a character can do with this power is more loosely defined because I don’t want to do deus in machina and just give my characters god like powers(unless or until they kill a god or ascend to godhood).

But in the second one if the red mist ability is not functional because the druid is overtired then the divine ability could cause chaos and the character if untrained could pull more energy than they could produce, killing them selves.