Re: Authors Who Dislike Comments Fixing Typos: Read This

Ararara Wrote: I don't think such an author exists lolll
They assuredly do. They probably are less likely to be the ones lurking on these forums, though, as they'd be the 'doing it for fun, don't need to improve' types more often than not.

That, or professionals whose attitude is 'I'll leave it since I'm going to pay a real editor to go over the whole thing anyway, and it'd be a waste of my time to fix.'

I'm not the biggest fan of it because I feel like a person 
Asviloka Wrote:
They assuredly do. They probably are less likely to be the ones lurking on these forums, though, as they'd be the 'doing it for fun, don't need to improve' types more often than not.

That, or professionals whose attitude is 'I'll leave it since I'm going to pay a real editor to go over the whole thing anyway, and it'd be a waste of my time to fix.'

Or they could have a learning disability and get really embarrassed because they feel stupid. Believe me, it's not all about not wanting to improve or being lazy. Sometimes it's about being handicapped. That's the part of learning disabilities that doesn't get talked about nearly enough. The mental toll of not being able to read, write, learn, or think like the world around you wants you too is a lot for some. The low self-esteem issues and feelings of inferiority are real. Not with every dyslexic, it really depends on their support, severity, and if they received interventions at a meaningful age.

And while I don't always respond and I appreciate people doing it, but I secretly just don't want them to. That's a lot of effort on trying to fix something that's never going to be perfect by my hands, no matter how much they point it out errors. There have been times I don't see the issue with what I wrote because I will read something the way it's supposed to be written and not what is written. 

Also, I don't want them to grow in frustration seeing the same mistakes again and again and think I'm not even trying. Or that I'm not correcting things in the time frame they want me too. The truth is, I'll forever be fixing things. Because a lot of the time, I have to go back and fix the fixes. It gets overwhelming unless I can structure in a way that it isn't.

As a dyslexic proofreading is a lot like a game of Lights Out. Except, there is no chance of me winning. I'm consistently inconsistent.

L.J.Anders Wrote: I'm not the biggest fan of it because I feel like a person 
Asviloka Wrote:

Or they could have a learning disability and get really embarrassed because they feel stupid. Believe me, it's not all about not wanting to improve or being lazy. Sometimes it's about being handicapped. That's the part of learning disabilities that doesn't get talked about nearly enough. The mental toll of not being able to read, write, learn, or think like the world around you wants you too is a lot for some. The low self-esteem issues and feelings of inferiority are real. Not with every dyslexic, it really depends on their support, severity, and if they received interventions at a meaningful age.

And while I don't always respond and I appreciate people doing it, but I secretly just don't want them to. That's a lot of effort on trying to fix something that's never going to be perfect by my hands, no matter how much they point it out errors. There have been times I don't see the issue with what I wrote because I will read something the way it's supposed to be written and not what is written. 

Also, I don't want them to grow in frustration seeing the same mistakes again and again and think I'm not even trying. Or that I'm not correcting things in the time frame they want me too. The truth is, I'll forever be fixing things. Because a lot of the time, I have to go back and fix the fixes. It gets overwhelming unless I can structure in a way that it isn't.

As a dyslexic proofreading is a lot like a game of Lights Out. Except, there is no chance of me winning. I'm consistently inconsistent.

I know that feel, I often make mistakes that are undetectable by Grammarly. For example, when I confuse b with p, and the result is a completely wrong, but grammatically correct word. Or when I write onomatopoeia instead of what I wanted to write, like 'hear' instead of 'here', 'stunk' instead of 'stung' etc. 

However, I am not embarrassed because of it, and I find it useful if people find it and point it out. 
In fact, this kinda feedback is the most useful one, much more useful than the usual "point out the missing comma or wrong tense" because using the wrong word can change the context of the sentence/scene, while a grammatical mistake is just a mistake.

L.J.Anders Wrote: Or they could have a learning disability and get really embarrassed because they feel stupid. Believe me, it's not all about not wanting to improve or being lazy. Sometimes it's about being handicapped. That's the part of learning disabilities that doesn't get talked about nearly enough. The mental toll of not being able to read, write, learn, or think like the world around you wants you too is a lot for some. The low self-esteem issues and feelings of inferiority are real. Not with every dyslexic, it really depends on their support, severity, and if they received interventions at a meaningful age.

I understand that some people are unable to improve their writing because of dyslexia or similar problems. I also understand that getting called out for something you want to but are unable to improve is not a nice feeling. But please, still fix the errors that are pointed out to you, even when that's additional work and when you will still make similar errors in the future. 

I often post comments with corrections, because seeing typos pains me. There are two intentions: 1) One is for the author to learn and improve, so that in the future _I_ don't have to see that error anymore. This clearly doesn't work with dyslexic authors, so the same errors will still pain me 20 chapters down the line. If I know that the author is doing their best, I can mostly suppress the annoyment. 
2) The other is for the chapters to be more correct, so that in the future _other readers_ will not have to feel the same pain. If I read a story that has been there for some time, I wish for somebody else to have pointed out the errors so that I can read a corrected version, sparing me the hurt. Even a dyslexic author should be able to copy-paste the correction to the respective part of the chapter, eliminating the error. 

Because when I read a chapter that has been online for 3 months, then find five errors in it, then see that four of those errors have each been pointed out 3-5 times in the comments, even within the first week... Then I know that the author doesn't care, that the author gives a shit about the readers' enjoyment (especially MY enjoyment, which is RUINED by those errors!). Why should I comment anything at all in that story when the author just doesn't care? Why should I write "thanks, I like this scene" when the author might not even read the comments? Next step: Why should I read that story at all?

KoboldPatrol Wrote: 2) The other is for the chapters to be more correct, so that in the future _other readers_ will not have to feel the same pain. If I read a story that has been there for some time, I wish for somebody else to have pointed out the errors so that I can read a corrected version, sparing me the hurt. Even a dyslexic author should be able to copy-paste the correction to the respective part of the chapter, eliminating the error.

Because when I read a chapter that has been online for 3 months, then find five errors in it, then see that four of those errors have each been pointed out 3-5 times in the comments, even within the first week... Then I know that the author doesn't care, that the author gives a shit about the readers' enjoyment (especially MY enjoyment, which is RUINED by those errors!). Why should I comment anything at all in that story when the author just doesn't care? Why should I write "thanks, I like this scene" when the author might not even read the comments? Next step: Why should I read that story at all?

This is a you thing. It ruins your enjoyment. Well that just tells me I'm not writing for you and my writing isn't for you. And I know a lot of people have the same issue as you, however, I can't please everyone. If I wanted something that pleased everyone, having perfect or near perfect  grammar is just one hurtle. The other hurtle is just genre and I created a mess for myself on that end as well.

However, I'm running a very slow marathon Because the best method I've found for me is waiting until I have enough distance on a project, and then I can start tackling correction because if I'm going to do it, then I need to devote all my attention to it. That is the only way I learn and I get work done.

Is it ideal, no. Is it logical for an online space no. But this is the only way I can get results. It is what it is. 

The only thing I truly regret is how long it's taken me.

L.J.Anders Wrote: I need to devote all my attention to it. That is the only way I learn and I get work done.

It might be a good idea to mention that in your pre/post chapter notes then readers know that you're aware of issues and will work on them in the future. It might help more readers feel listened to and keep reading? 

But obviously, every writer has their own style and technique so, if what you're doing works for you, keep it up!

I am always appreciative of any feedback, typos or not, but I feel for most authors that would be posting their works here, it's the quality of the content that's most important.

Clearly no one is putting up works that are copy-edited. As long as the small mistakes don't slow you down, I would try to cruise through it.

Most helpful feedback would be:

Comments on the characters
I want to see more world building
Point out plot holes / weaknesses
Things that need more explaining / detail
Hey, its getting too slow here
The details are bogging the story down
Wtf is that, I dont have a science degree dude
... stuff like that.   Do not be afraid to be critical, so long as it is constructive and encouraging.

Speaking for myself, I can often forget helpful details, such as world building, to tell the story. Sure, I can see it all in my own head, but is it written down? Also, a big one is that I have an engineering degree and often forget that my reader probably had no idea what I just said. 

You all likely have special knowledge of what you are writing about. Don't forget to help your reader along with explanation, but don't hit them over the head with it either.

I feel the most difficult balance is in the world detail vs what is happening. Most readers want their imagination to be transported to your world. Don't  skimp on that, but it has to keep moving too.

Cody

Brogotta Wrote: Oh, one question I had, since I'm a noob here. If someone posted a comment for a correction, and then you applied the correction, do you delete the comment? So that it doesn't confuse anyone.

Obviously you would thank them for the comment first - give rep.

Not sure of the etiquette there. 

Cody

I don't ever delete comments! If it is an easy fix (like grammar or spelling) I immediately edit then reply and thank them as well as saying that I have edited it. If it is a bigger correction I'll thank them and let them know that I will edit it over the next few days then comment again to say when it has been fixed :) 

AlexaLee Wrote: It might be a good idea to mention that in your pre/post chapter notes then readers know that you're aware of issues and will work on them in the future. It might help more readers feel listened to and keep reading?

That's probably something I'm going to have to do moving forward. Warn them I don't know what "timely manner" means. Hopefully with the new versions of my novels, I won't have nearly as many.