Re: Author Etiquette Questions!

sieley Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: Give Max rep. Best way to make people feel regonized. One rep is worse than no rep
See, this is interesting. I asked just to be sure, but I honestly assumed the answer was going to be something like "Any rep is positive. Five rep is for something extremely high-labor (like a full review)/ or helpful." That was just the vibe I'd gotten from it so far, so I'm glad I asked! Thanks! Now I'm wondering if I've hurt people's feelings by only giving them one rep for comments...
Any rep is positive. DrBuller is just spouting nonsense. Of course there will always be that one crazy person that you can't make happy no matter what you do, but the overwhelming majority would not feel slighted in the least.

Ralen Wrote:
sieley Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: Give Max rep. Best way to make people feel regonized. One rep is worse than no rep
See, this is interesting. I asked just to be sure, but I honestly assumed the answer was going to be something like "Any rep is positive. Five rep is for something extremely high-labor (like a full review)/ or helpful." That was just the vibe I'd gotten from it so far, so I'm glad I asked! Thanks! Now I'm wondering if I've hurt people's feelings by only giving them one rep for comments...
Any rep is positive. DrBuller is just spouting nonsense. Of course there will always be that one crazy person that you can't make happy no matter what you do, but the overwhelming majority would not feel slighted in the least.
... if I gave you rep at this moment, you knowing that I put in extra time just so that you wouldn't get 5 rep and instead get 1, would you be happy with the 1 or annoyed that you didn't get the remaining 4?

DrBuller Wrote: ... if I gave you rep at this moment, you knowing that I put in extra time just so that you wouldn't get 5 rep and instead get 1, would you be happy with the 1 or annoyed that you didn't get the remaining 4?
Why would that bother me in the least? You also could have not clicked to add any rep and given none. That would be like getting made at someone for breaking a $5 bill to give you $1. That's $1 I didn't have before so I'll happily take it.

Ralen Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: ... if I gave you rep at this moment, you knowing that I put in extra time just so that you wouldn't get 5 rep and instead get 1, would you be happy with the 1 or annoyed that you didn't get the remaining 4?
Why would that bother me in the least? You also could have not clicked to add any rep and given none. That would be like getting made at someone for breaking a $5 bill to give you $1. That's $1 I didn't have before so I'll happily take it.
huh... at this point, it's clear we just don't understand each other's perspectives. We each believe different things, both coming from anecdotal evidence and personal belief. I think the extra effort to give little is a sign of being unkind. You see giving anything to begin with as being kind no matter what. I doubt either of us wants to stand down from these positions. 

Nice to have more perspective from the newer people.

It's not only DrBuller, it's absolutely normal to give (and expect) max rep. To give less, you need to spam the "minus" button because you do not think the comment deserves as much rep as possible. It's like a participation prize. "Heheh, lol, you tried, but your comment sucks <3"

If most time we get max rep, the 1/2 rep will be outliers that instantly might make you think "Hmm, that author is stingy -_-" 

IDK, I did find myself wondering why authors would give one rep over more sometimes, but I think this thread shows there's a lot of different opinions about how much rep to give to who and for what reason.

Given all that, I'd rather not presume any ill intent if someone gives "just" one rep; I'd feel recognized no matter what the amount. A lot less stressful to think of it that way I think.

DrBuller Wrote: DrBuller Wrote:
... if I gave you rep at this moment, you knowing that I put in extra time just so that you wouldn't get 5 rep and instead get 1, would you be happy with the 1 or annoyed that you didn't get the remaining 4?
He's right. I'm fine if the author never even acknowledges my comments in any way, whether responding or giving rep. But if they just give me specifically +1 rep, I'm usually left wondering why they did that and feeling weird about it. Which is obviously silly, but that's how a lot of people's brains work.

There are several general methods of responding to helpful/nice comments, as well as negative ones. Of the many stories I've read, typically the happiest/best comment sections either involve the author never responding, only giving rep, or selective responses while ignoring others.

Examples. SenescentSoul of Delve generally only responds to comments that point out typos/loopholes while repping things they appreciate or find funny. Any comments criticizing or talking smack on the story are almost never responded to, whether they have a valid point or they're just whining.

KamikazePotato of Outcast in Another World tends to frequently respond with noticeably positive and thankful remarks. To the point where they'll even respond specifically to comments saying they can't or won't comment because of plot stuff. Gennon Asche of Castle Kingside is similar in the vibe of responses, though they seem a little more understanding than effusive in responses. Both are pretty good methods.

TheFirstDefier of Defiance of the Fall is almost completely hands off with their comments. Whether typos, arguments, criticism or otherwise. They do read them, but practically nothing gets repped or responded to.

I can go on. But all these methods are valid and work with varying results. Delve's comments can spark some interesting conversations, Outcast/Kingside generally have a positive feeling in their comment sections, and Defiance's has a no holds barred feel to it. But what all these have in common is that they all ignore criticism and whining, and have learned to ignore that knee-jerk need to defend and comment against it when it inevitably happens. Which is important. Learning to recognize that emotional twinge and not give into it is an important part of being an author. Almost every fiction that has the author arguing in the comments ends up dropped. Giving into that need to defend your fiction only gets worse the more you do it, which is a positive feedback loop of misery you don't want to start.

If a commenter leaves criticism and you completely disagree or think it's ridiculous? Ignore it and DO NOT RESPOND. I have never seen it work out even once in the hundreds of fictions I've read. It just ends up in an argumentative back and forth that leaves the author noticeably less happy, and also doesn't look good. I can think of countless stories that ended up getting dropped after trying to do this (Battlefield Reclaimer and Warlock's Gate just recently). 

And keep a high bar for banning people from commenting. Even people that critique your fiction in ways you disagree with will encourage discussion and activity in the comments, which encourages people to keep coming back. If their comments are genuinely making you miserable or are ruining your comments section, then you're typically better off banning them.

DrBuller Wrote: Ralen Wrote:
sieley Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote:
Give Max rep. Best way to make people feel regonized. One rep is worse than no rep
I just wrote something very similar in another thread, so I'll just copy and adapt this here: 

I'm a proponent of "better quality should get more recognition", i.e. varying amouts of rep, e.g. like this: the full five rep for a long helpful comment, multiple typos, a good analysis of the content or an interesting prediction about what will happen later; 2-3 rep for a nice but not overly useful comment, or 1-2 typos, or a joke that is connected to the chapter content; (0-)1 rep for "thank you for the chapter"; NO rep for spam like "First!" (if nothing additional is written) or "asdf" or "I only comment for the rep, gimme!". 

On the other hand, giving less than full rep is seen as rude by many, as you can see in DrBuller's strong reply. Many authors give full rep for very good comments and corrections and no rep for everything else, like Ziggy gave various examples for. That latter method will avoid making DrBuller and others angry while still incentivizing good comments.  

In the end, how strongly you use rep is up to you and it depends on what kind of comments you want to encourage. You have to decide whether you want to have five pages of "Thanks for the chapter" comments and nothing else in between. If somebody stops reading your story just because you didn't give them enough rep for their spam messages, that might be for the best. 

Disclaimer: Personally, I only partly practise what I just preached. I don't graduate that fine, I usually give either full rep (for a very good comment) or 3 (for an interesting-but-not-great comment) or none. Most often none nowadays, TBH. I never reached the daily rep limit.