Author Etiquette Questions!

I was wondering what the standard etiquette on the site is for authors responding to (friendly and helpful!) comments and reviews of our work. Is it a-okay to reply and give rep for a comment? What about liking a review? Or is that not a thing? 

I'm happy to be super interactive with readers, but I didn't want to assume it was the standard until I checked.

Also, I haven't quite understood what to do with rep? Like, is it a kind of "super like" button? Or something else? When is it good to give it out and when is it weird? Is it insulting to give one point? (Like tipping your waiter a penny?) Or is it overkill to give five?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Re: Author Etiquette Questions!

I give rep to almost all comments (though I sometimes miss a few when there are many) and like any review that's at least reasonable. I love critical reviews and comments as long as they're actually helpful to either the writer or reader.

I love to chat with my readers, it's one of the best parts about sharing on RR! If I wanted to write in a silent void, I could do that at home. :-3

Rep is like XP for being a good community member. You give it to people for participating in things and making helpful posts.

There are plenty of authors that fully interact with their readers in the comments section. I've received responses and rep on many occasions from authors. Some authors also just act like the comments don't exist at all. I'm pretty sure there's nothing in the bylaws for or against author interaction with the readers other than the standard no being a-holes to one another. Just do whatever you're comfortable with as long as it's not cussing people out.
DrakanWine

sieley Wrote: I was wondering what the standard etiquette on the site is for authors responding to (friendly and helpful!) comments and reviews of our work. Is it a-okay to reply and give rep for a comment? What about liking a review? Or is that not a thing? 

I'm happy to be super interactive with readers, but I didn't want to assume it was the standard until I checked.

Also, I haven't quite understood what to do with rep? Like, is it a kind of "super like" button? Or something else? When is it good to give it out and when is it weird? Is it insulting to give one point? (Like tipping your waiter a penny?) Or is it overkill to give five?

Thanks for sharing your experience!
I like to treat it as a sort of "share the love" mentality. Just sorta hand it out to people as makes sense.

Plus when your reader interaction is low it just sorta defaults to all 5's across the board, idk.

I just like the shinies it gives us.

I give rep for pretty much all comments. I will also reply to thank people for any kind of constructive criticism or correction they give me. The more effort someone puts into their feedback, the more I will tend to put into replying to it and showing my appreciation. So far I've "liked" every review I've received, and intend to continue doing so unless I receive something totally unreasonable. 

tfisb Wrote:
sieley Wrote: Is it insulting to give one point? (Like tipping your waiter a penny?)
Yes, this is insulting.  There is absolutely no reason to generate ill will like this, and many reasons not to.

Huh?!

Tenori Wrote: Legend says that once you get enough rep, you can trade it for a girlfriend...

If you reach 50k rep, you might even get a cat waifu

TomOBedlam Wrote:
DrBuller Wrote: Give Max rep. Best way to make people feel regonized. One rep is worse than no rep

When does the amount of rep one can give go up? I’ve noticed varying amounts, but haven’t seen anything saying why I’m still only allowed to give 1 rep to people on the forums.
https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/109297

you can give more at 201, 501, 1001, 5001, and 10001 total rep. Each increases it by one and the 5k allows you to give 10 rep on your own story

I give rep to almost all comments, but sometimes I run out of rep to give so I prioritize edit suggestions and people who make me laugh, then I start giving out rep to people who thank me for new chapters. I like to engage with my readers pretty actively and respond to any questions they have as much as I can without spoiling things. I like reviews that are positive or fair. I actually disliked one even though it was positive because it read like a list of requests for what to do with my story, many of which I found kind of insane.

DrBuller Wrote: Give Max rep. Best way to make people feel regonized. One rep is worse than no rep
See, this is interesting. I asked just to be sure, but I honestly assumed the answer was going to be something like "Any rep is positive. Five rep is for something extremely high-labor (like a full review)/ or helpful." That was just the vibe I'd gotten from it so far, so I'm glad I asked! Thanks! Now I'm wondering if I've hurt people's feelings by only giving them one rep for comments...

Giving others reputation never hurts you in any way, so I like to give it out as much as I can for anything and everything. The only thing that prevents me from giving out more is 1) I'm lazy and giving rep for every single post on the forum is a lot of work, and 2) I can only give so much right now due to my own reputation. I need to build up my own reputation so I can give out more.