Re: Question. Do you have discord or facebook for your stories?

I tried using twitter for a while to link to things like my website or here on RR. Didn't quite work.
I tried using ScribbleHub as a secondary hosting platform, but that makes me feel... unclean.
I do use Reddit. Posting to my own profile nets jack, but posting to r/HFY has given me... like 3 readers. That's--er, something.

Instagram is probably not a good place for any kind of marketing.
I do hear of people using FB pretty often. I don't get it, I don't understand how they're using it, but FB can go suck an egg imo.

That's all very interesting!

Zeepolian Wrote: I tried using twitter for a while to link to things like my website or here on RR. Didn't quite work.
I tried using ScribbleHub as a secondary hosting platform, but that makes me feel... unclean.
I do use Reddit. Posting to my own profile nets jack, but posting to r/HFY has given me... like 3 readers. That's--er, something.

Instagram is probably not a good place for any kind of marketing.
I do hear of people using FB pretty often. I don't get it, I don't understand how they're using it, but FB can go suck an egg imo.

what do you mean unclean? I've never actually been to scribblehub. does it only have slashfic stuff?

And I see people really hate FB? why do people hate FB?

Of course, I've been told by my family to use social media more often privately. I said to them, no way I want people to know my every move.

Going back to the question, why not FB?

I have a tumblr that I hang around. Posting stuff for my stories once in a blue moon when I have it. I also have my Patreon where I post completed and formatted e-book versions of completed stories for like 3$ I have a youtube account but that's almost exclusively for my animatics that I make (all one of them currently...) Discords good for groups to share and stuff. Groups to do sprints and bouncing ideas off of each other with. It's nice. 

DrunkMinstrel Wrote: what do you mean unclean? I've never actually been to scribblehub. does it only have slashfic stuff?
Scribblehub is much more open to sexual content of various kinds, as is the reader base, so that makes that sort of content pretty popular on there. I don't have an interest in that sort of thing but I'm also content to let people enjoy what they want so I just post my fiction on there without much concern for it. It does a little bit better on there than over here, but I'd say it's about even so far with Royal Road.

That aside, I do also use Twitter and Tumblr to link back to my story whenever there's updates (the latter was added to be able to accommodate longer posts as well), but I don't use either actively, and neither really garner any attention.

DrunkMinstrel Wrote: And I see people really hate FB? why do people hate FB?

Of course, I've been told by my family to use social media more often privately. I said to them, no way I want people to know my every move.

Going back to the question, why not FB?

I use FB. I do detest people posting political stuff (I have always stayed non-political on FB), and my family uses it for photo sharing/photo storage. If friends on FB start getting too political I have snooze them or else I will be tempted to respond, and I keep my politics to myself unless I am talking to someone face to face.

For writing I mostly use my page to post when I have published a book/or entered a contest. I always feel weird posting stuff about my writing on FB because I have irl friends/family who have followed my writer FB page. 

Think you get the most out of social media for creators if you already have a presence on there or somewhere else and can pull enough followers in.

FB as a platform is terrible. I barely use it personally anymore. I don't have a Facebook page for my writing. I thought about it, but it's not worth it. I'm afraid friends and family will find it and I really don't want them to. Most of them aren't readers or do anything creative. They'll just follow out of being polite however, I don't want to give some of them another space for their political opinion. The last two elections has shown me, some of my relatives and friends, just need to be on mute because they act a fool on social media. Fine in real life, but turn into a keyboard warrior online.

Twitter could have some use if it wasn't today's Twitter. The writing community on Twitter love doing writers-lifts and give writers all these followers but, I question the good this would do for say a web fiction writers. Writers aren't necessarily readers of the fiction you post. Most writer on Twitter just advertising their stories to other writers. Who could be readers, but given how many of them will spam links to their books every 15 minutes, clogging up your feed, I doubt any of them will actually read your work. I've rarely have anyone from twitter visit my website. Since I liked the account there, I've probably had like 2 visits in like 5 years. And there isn't a organized web fiction writer or reader community there.

At this point, I rather just use a my blog or here to communicate. I wish people would just go back to having websites just because of how, unappealing social media has become.

I don't have any social media accounts for my stories, but I have a friend that has a few. Neither really has all that much activity/interaction despite them being fairly successful on other accounts, and I think that they even mentioned that you kind of have to expect that 90% of your readers will be silent. I love following those accounts. It seems like it would be fun to have one of my own, but I feel like if I did any for mine, I'd struggle not to go into spoilers, which would lead to me not posting much of anything at all. So those are things to keep in mind if you're thinking of starting a social media account for your story.