Re: What makes your story stand out?

JLCohen Wrote: Personally, I think what makes my story unique is my main character. While I don't think my premise is entirely original or executed perfectly, I always read for two things: characters I can get attached to and a plot that keeps me engaged. So that's what I aim for.

I've never read a female MC who fits the same bill that my Cel does. I wanted a strong female MC who wasn't "strong" in the sense of being physically powerful or extremely confident in her appearance. I wanted her to be smart and for that to actually come across (it is so challenging writing a smart MC; I feel very limited by my own intelligence) and I wanted her to be firmly set in her own beliefs. I always pitched her as a cross between Ciel (from Black Butler) and Azula (ATLA), so an absolute brat with big brain energy who is extremely capable and misguided.
Yeah. Me too, about the female MCs. All my stories have female MCs in them.

My story DOTS has two of them! ❤😻❤

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
JLCohen Wrote: Personally, I think what makes my story unique is my main character. While I don't think my premise is entirely original or executed perfectly, I always read for two things: characters I can get attached to and a plot that keeps me engaged. So that's what I aim for.

I've never read a female MC who fits the same bill that my Cel does. I wanted a strong female MC who wasn't "strong" in the sense of being physically powerful or extremely confident in her appearance. I wanted her to be smart and for that to actually come across (it is so challenging writing a smart MC; I feel very limited by my own intelligence) and I wanted her to be firmly set in her own beliefs. I always pitched her as a cross between Ciel (from Black Butler) and Azula (ATLA), so an absolute brat with big brain energy who is extremely capable and misguided.
Yeah. Me too, about the female MCs. All my stories have female MCs in them.

My story DOTS has two of them! ❤😻❤

Fantastic! Fantasy needs more leading ladies. c:

Favorite story to this day is Secret of Dragon Home,
Which I still have not bought the sequel.  DrakanNo

Anyway, I wouldn’t call it unique. It just had a more endearing way of getting across its point, the brother is an a-hole, that is all I gotta say. 🤨

Anyway, that was the story that actually made me consider writing at the time. While I feel these days it might as well be outdated. I still think it has its charm and whatnot.

As for my own, given how I cannot find a story that is even half like it. I think that kinda speaks for itself. I have sat down at libraries, read for hours upon hours. I have looked through countless web fictions, just can’t find it. I know there is a similar one out there somewhere, but welp, I must be terrible at playing Blue’s Clues. 

Mine makes use of quite a range of elements. Each book starts off on the slower end, and steadily intensifies. To also follow up, pretty much each part is slower, with it getting faster throughout. This range is lessened as it nears the ending of the story. Another thing I make use of are allusions, the reader is constantly made in awareness, but the explanation is indirect in most cases. The way the words string together, there is a poetic element to it as well. Why? Well, I used to write poetry a long time ago. What is mentioned at one point, it will connect to another, and throughout all of the books.

These will link back and forth. More or less centered around the emotional element, while making use of this for immersive action scenes. This series forces readers to critically think if they want to understand, and is not a casual read. However, it does provide comedic scenes no less. Though, these as well play a role within the entirety of the series. Everything done is meant to be considered, so this in itself creates reread value. It will be pretty difficult to get everything in one go, which would call into play of reading the books again. While written at about an eight grade level in terms of words, the complexity of it chains more into high school to college years. Which would then trickle off into those 25+ in years.

The theme followed is more of a deeper layer of despair. However, with description bringing hope within the smallest of chances. This is common place for all of the books, since it reflects the main. Who is capable of turning even the tiniest of possibilities into a reality. Despised by most, actions of reprehensibility, pushing onward towards their deepest desire. Even so, extending a hand to many along the way. Being that voice for those who cannot speak any longer. Giving hope to those, when they pretty much have none themselves. An enemy they are, but also more of an inspirational character. Turmoil constantly in place, agony never ending. The story has a wide range of enjoyable characters, and creatures really. The scenes might even seem unsettling, horrific really. As battles intensify, there are nine stages towards ruin. With the final stage only happening four times out of the three books. 

A blending of mythological elements, to create its own thing. Numerous worlds in existence, though, each book focuses on a set few. The second and third book gives insight into quite a range. This has been going on for a while, so to cut it short, it keeps diving deeper. Once it grabs hold, the ride won’t stop until the ending of the series.

ArDeeBurger Wrote:
JLCohen Wrote: Fantastic! Fantasy needs more leading ladies. c:
Yeah! No kidding! Girls Rule!

I never really think about it much, as I just write the stories I see in my mind's eye. But the four stories that I want to write the most, out of my collection of at least two dozen, have female leads in them.

I tried writing a male perspective once. I ran it by a guy I knew, and I learned a lot about male perspective because he helped me rewrite it the way a guy would think, but I also learned that as a female I write female perspectives best. I also realized that I enjoy writing women (and reading stories with a female lead). 

I've been told that my sci-fi story Dishonor reads like a fantasy and that's "unique". Its a post-apocalypse dystopian where society is sort of medieval, but also weirdly technological. The main character is a female lead who is truly terrible at fighting, but fairly strong willed. Overall its about average on the uniqueness scale. 

Life Without Memory is my truly more "unique" story. Written in first person present tense with dabblings of second person. (You the reader are sort of a character in the story. Its weird.) The story itself is a sci-fan. I have it tagged psychological because of how much the story focuses on how memories make us who we are. 

A young blacksmith/inventor turned Baron who goes an ocean-spanning adventure with his Valet. Ridiculous character names. Quirky humor. Short chapters. Set in the late 18th century. My main characters interact with several real-life historical people. A pirate unlike the usual Hollywood pirates. Told in first-person by several of the characters. Contains elements of many genres. 

I know this is going to sound cheap and unearned (it absolutely is) but... my story has a big ~twist~ that will be revealed much later, one that I think very few (if any) readers will pick up on beforehand. At least I hope it won't be too obvious! Also, it's a multi-POV book about books and how important they are to different characters/nations/faiths at war with each other. I don't think too many books fit that description!

I keep reading apocalyptic fiction where people kept fighting among themselves, and it's natural they would go that way, becausd they're trying to get out of anarchy. But I wanted an apocalyptic fuctuon story where, for once, the people were united. Obviously that would be very... unrealistic under normal circumstances, but there are ways.... (none of that overpowered munchkin stuff. No. Something more... "apocalypsy".)

This part: (I dunno why - but I love that I'm trying to avoid copyright, can anyone guess?)

Quote:Now, Tri wasn’t a gamer, full stop. She could recognize game mechanics, but she only ever played Headbook’s Farmtown. Well, she did download an app recently called Biscuit Clicker, but all you do is tap on a biscuit and purchase an upgrade for the game to tap the damn biscuit for you.

I still can't understand why this is my favorite part of the story I've written so far hehe he. 

I always manage to surprise myself when I can't come up with answers to questions like these. Don't know if that says more for me, or the story itself.

But, based on what I've seen, my main character goes through a lot of training to get where he is?  I've seen a lot of stories where the main character becomes very powerful in a short amount of time. Still, a lot of stories already have that, so I could completely be missing the mark with this one.