How do people accrue reviews so easily?

It seems like so many fictions--including ones that are relatively new--all have an abundance of reviews.
I'm sure there's a survivorship bias at play here, but even still, I couldn't help but wonder how people get them so often.

I'd like to hear other's experiences. I know that some people do review swaps and those definitely seem effective, but for the rest of you do reviews just sort of happen? Or is there something I'm not getting? ( @ _ @)

Re: How do people accrue reviews so easily?

For myself, I'm actively getting out and trying to get review swaps or free reviews from people who offer! I would, of course, love some reviews I don't need to ask for - but for my fiction, I feel like getting people in the door is the biggest issue. As such, getting people to give it a try under a review swap pretense helps get some genuine reviews about the fic that may not have happened simply because it's a more niche subject.

I'd say doing some prodding in the Author's Notes is probably a good way to encourage people to review more 'organically', without being too aggressive about it to the point of driving them away?

MarcieTheVillain Wrote: For myself, I'm actively getting out and trying to get review swaps or free reviews from people who offer! I would, of course, love some reviews I don't need to ask for - but for my fiction, I feel like getting people in the door is the biggest issue. As such, getting people to give it a try under a review swap pretense helps get some genuine reviews about the fic that may not have happened simply because it's a more niche subject.

I'd say doing some prodding in the Author's Notes is probably a good way to encourage people to review more 'organically', without being too aggressive about it to the point of driving them away?
I guess tenacity and review swaps must be the way to go.

Or just like, some fluke luck it seems. DrakanSigh

Review swapping and begging for reviews.

Speaking of which, I saw a hilarious conversation on certain discord server today. I know it's a different site, but this mindset often carries on to royal road and other sites as well.

Quote:Someone — Yesterday at 11:14 PM
Who wants to do some review swaps? Really do need reviews.

Someoneelse — Yesterday at 11:22 PM
its a fanfic ive been writitg
to better my evil character writting
for a main antagonist in the novel

Someone — Yesterday at 11:28 PM
You wanna do some review swaps?
[11:30 PM]
@Someoneelse So, are you ready?

Someoneelse — Yesterday at 11:40 PM
yes sir

Someone— Yesterday at 11:52 PM
@Someoneelse Title of my novel is, [Some title]. Go give it a five star review, I am waiting.

Someonelese — Yesterday at 11:54 PM
oh
[11:54 PM]
i thought i would like yk
read it
then
aight nvm

And then he gave a 5 star review a minute later anyway.

For me, I have an established audience of awesome fans who faithfully read my new stories, so I tend to get one or two reviews within the first month or two of posting. Then I might do a swap or two to round it out. The rest tend to accrue over time as people naturally stumble across it. I'm fairly active on the forums, though I'm unsure how much impact that has.

My story from November recently reached 10 reviews, which is pretty good for something so short that isn't updating any more. An average of one a month, with some months lower and others higher.

Zeepolian Wrote: It seems like so many fictions--including ones that are relatively new--all have an abundance of reviews.
The vast majority of stories have no reviews at all. I bet you're seeing the most successful ones, those that reach the front page or rising; those whose authors actively swap for reviews on the forums, rather than those which are buried and forgotten.

Zeepolian Wrote: I'd like to hear other's experiences. I know that some people do review swaps and those definitely seem effective, but for the rest of you do reviews just sort of happen? Or is there something I'm not getting? ( @ _ @)
I have very few reviews. I did a review swap once. It seems if you don't do that, then you just don't get reviews unless you have thousands of followers. I have like eight reviews on 800,000 words. I always love it when I get a review naturally. They come in once in a while.

Hmmm, yeah, I have very few reviews, but I certainly dont lose any sleep over it. I am definitely not going to put in any kind of extra mile, such as review swapping, to get any. That sounds pretty shallow. Sorry

I have a hard time believing anyone would actually read my work and not just give me the ol 4 out of 5 for being swap-buddies. In that case.

I would love feedback, but certainly not for my own social affirmation needs... which are zero, as you can probably tell.

One thing I have been doing is adding a bunch of peoples books to my read-later list. I truly wish I could have some time to read some and give feedback, but I never do. It sux. I would love to give some feedback, regardless of getting any return or not. I will do it tho.

Cody

Review swaps are very popular, and if you go into the threads for them you'll often see some protections to prevent fake ratings and reviews. These are not always possible, but it's also possible that the fast, instant reviews are from people who beta-read it and already know they like it. That's actually what cover endorsements are all about in the wider publishing industry.

Personally, I've been on this site for just shy of a year (counting lurker time before I created an account), and I finally got around to my first review yesterday. I tend to be stingy with reviews, but a good chunk of why it took so long is that I wanted more understanding of the web novel market.

I'll never do reviews by request; more precisely, if you bring your novel to my attention, I'll judge it by professional standards. That means I won't always give perfect scores. I fully expect any web novels I write to get the same treatment from others. I'd be insulted to get glowing reviews that the reviewer didn't actually mean. 

That said, I've seen the best ways to get a good review is to 1) be active in your own comment threads, 2) be active on other authors' comments, and 3) be proactive in reviewing web novels you like. People do click on user names to see who has a story, and your review karma gets passed forward. 

Edge Wrote:
Kaworu Wrote: A lot of the super popular authors on this website talk with each other and review each other’s stories on alts, so it might be that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Um…if that is actually true, then…shouldn’t you be reporting it…? This is technically rating manipulation. I guess it can get a pass, if they do not review it on their main accounts.
nah. Ain't doing that. Some give ratings from their main account though. And since its like ten ratings against a thousand, the actual impact is way too small to care about(not that they even give good rating most of the time, those realistic-rating people)

DrBuller Wrote: nah. Ain't doing that. Some give reports from their main account though. And since its like ten ratings against a thousand, the actual impact is way too small to care about(not that they even give good rating most of the time, those realistic-rating people)
I see, the point is to set enforceable rules. If it can be gotten around based on a threshold, it can have some issues down the line. Anyway, I guess if the ratings are realistic, it is something I suppose. Though, onto another question. Others give reports on their main accounts? As in, they intentionally agree in order to report someone?