Re: Underrated Genres/Genre-Mashups?

eric_river Wrote:
i'd like to see more sci-fi stuff mixed in with fantasy
scientific reasons behind a litRPG
i must say though fantasy goes great with poetry
wouldn't it be great if there was more of that to see? ;)
PeoReading

So professed the bard of rhyme,
descending his throne to speak
among the masses, not as above
but as equal, for he spoke truth
and truth knows no boundaries 
of class or creed.

(yes we need more epic poems lol)

Zeepolian Wrote:
eric_river Wrote:
i'd like to see more sci-fi stuff mixed in with fantasy
scientific reasons behind a litRPG
i must say though fantasy goes great with poetry
wouldn't it be great if there was more of that to see? ;)
PeoReading
Ah man, this reminded me of a project that I guess I just sorta forgot about.

It was a collection of poems based in a fantasy realm analogous to the United States, consisting of social commentary and utilizing the purplest, most archaic prose I could muster.

Damn, I'm a bit nostalgic. Maybe I should revisit that.

well, I am gonna see about hosting an epic poem contest for November on this site. So get to drafting I :P 

LambentTyto Wrote:
Zeepolian Wrote: Any genres you guys wish had a little more time in the limelight?
Sword-and-Sorcery. I read it, I write it, I post it. I'm not sure it exists on this forum past me. That sounds arrogant, but...

Give some examples of sword and sorcery. Are you talking Conan and other pulpy stuff? Are you talking epic fantasy? Cause there's quite a bit of epic fantasy to go around.

JMWebb Wrote: Give some examples of sword and sorcery. Are you talking Conan and other pulpy stuff? Are you talking epic fantasy? Cause there's quite a bit of epic fantasy to go around.
Yes, Conan is sword and sorcery. It's not epic fantasy, it's its own genre. The magic systems are often soft with plots that center around smaller scope things rather than saving the world. Some good video game examples would be Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and Baldur's Gate 3. Another more modern series that's sword-and-sorcery is The Gentleman Bastards. They're a group of thieves and con artists. They're not out to save the world and they often have to contend with magical forces that are mysterious and far more dangerous than themselves.

A bit shameless of myself, given my current project, but,

Romance + Horror! 

And no, I don’t mean Twilight, I’m not talking about ‘uuuuuu my boyfriend is a werewolf he’s so sexy’, I mean real, genuine horror themes. I want vampires that drink blood and leave people for dead. I want werewolves that attack people at night and eat their hearts out. I want zombies risen from the grave that need to subsist on flesh. I want serious horror themes paired with the visceral nature of love and intimacy, because nothing is scarier than matters of the heart.

Also, this thread gave me an idea for my next fiction…

Zeepolian Wrote:
Haust Wrote: Personally I've a soft spot for solarpunk. Or any kind of hopeful feeling sci-fi.
Huh, yeah I guess you don't see "Hopeful Scifi" very often.

Though I think the root of that is based in Scifi being commentary and often critique of real world issues--just made digestible by being put through the filter of a futuristic setting.

You see it a lot with movies though. GotG comes to mind. Star Wars if you want to count it (and not get into an argument with me about the differences between scifi, space operas, and space westerns thank you very much).

Really, we just need stuff to balance out all the Grimdark Warhammer 40k stuff lol.
Yep. Star Trek is little BUT social commentary and it showed us a hopeful future. (Granted a hopeful future that came from people getting their shit together after the near apocalypse hit Earth but still.) As far as social commentary goes, pointing out all the dark crap is important, but we also live in a really depressing age full of doomsayers. Right now, what we need might not be more roadmaps for how to deal with the hypothetical darker future, but rather ideas for how to avoid that future all together. Right now I feel as if nearly all the future-themed stories I consume are really bleak and gritty and tbh I find it's really easy to get stuck in the whole "yeah Earth is fucked and there's no escape" mindset if I consume too much of that in fiction, y'know what I mean? I like solarpunk because it makes me feel it's at least theoretically possible to get over our dark, dumb nonsense and put something worthwhile together.