Shoutout

This morning, I'm moseying up to my PC to get some plotting and drafting done for my up-coming project. I settle in all nice an snug, tea in hand, when I see that my husband has messaged me. This is unusual but when he does it's usually something neat. So I open the IM and he's sharing a link. I can feel his excitement in the message. 

I click on the link to RR and as per his direction, read the author's note. Sure enough my work is listed there. He's super excited! Like OMG you were mentioned on a super popular person's work! And then I'm like.... waitaminute.... and check my inbox, and was like... I might have to pop his bubble.

For a second, it was wonderful to see his genuine excitement at the idea that my work is genuinely appreciated and has reached a point where it's being shared in the community organically. "I'm good, but I'm not that good," I tell him. He doesn't believe me.

So to commemorate this event, I'll be doing shoutouts too from within Awakening. I have a list and everything of fiction I've really gotten to enjoy since starting the whole review swap. There are some truly amazing writers in our little neck of the woods.

Re: Shoutout

A Wrote: For a second, it was wonderful to see his genuine excitement at the idea that my work is genuinely appreciated and has reached a point where it's being shared in the community organically. "I'm good, but I'm not that good," I tell him. He doesn't believe me.

I don't believe you either.  In fact, I've read some of your story and would curse you out for your pessimism if I saw you in person.  

But, I'm not doing that here.  Instead, I'll add your story to my list of shoutouts.  It'll be at least a week or two before it's out -- not gonna give you a definite date.  

Just be ready.  

M'wahahahahah!!!!!

Allanther Wrote:
A Wrote: For a second, it was wonderful to see his genuine excitement at the idea that my work is genuinely appreciated and has reached a point where it's being shared in the community organically. "I'm good, but I'm not that good," I tell him. He doesn't believe me.

I don't believe you either.  In fact, I've read some of your story and would curse you out for your pessimism if I saw you in person.  

But, I'm not doing that here.  Instead, I'll add your story to my list of shoutouts.  It'll be at least a week or two before it's out -- not gonna give you a definite date.  

Just be ready.  

M'wahahahahah!!!!!
you make so nice a gesture sound more like an evil plot
i hope they don't regret getting the shout out which they sought!
peoEsmile

Allanther Wrote:
eric_river Wrote: you make so nice a gesture sound more like an evil plot
i hope they don't regret getting the shout out which they sought!

You're next after them, songy
should i thank you or should i quickly go run and hide?!
should i be grateful or scared, it's tricky to decide!
peoeyesparkle peopanic

Thank you Eric - I didn't mean to make it sound like it was sinister or not appreciated. The shout out was arranged, but mostly by sheer luck of having seen the post. It was surprising that my husband saw the shoutout - which was a real wow moment for me.

I apologize if I sounded ungrateful at all - it was not the intent. I didn't want to come off as one of those people who felt entitled to succeed - I am after all writing for profit. So tempering my expectations is super important. I suppose I should say, I don't doubt my writing skills - communities like this has been a HUGE help in educating and refining my writing voice. What I do doubt is my ability to earn a living from writing. So I suppose my pessimism is really just saying: "Yes, I got a super popular artist to shoutout my work, but don't expect big life changing things to come of it."

I suppose in an effort to tone down my ego, I sort went too far in the other direction. 

Allanther Wrote: Instead, I'll add your story to my list of shoutouts.  It'll be at least a week or two before it's out -- not gonna give you a definite date.
Thank you for such a kind gesture. 

i fully understand just how surreal this world can seem
assistance from a famous author still seems like a dream
sometimes luck is generated by community
one day i shall pass on all the help given to me

time will tell if we deserve the help we sometimes get
but the kindness in this forum, i'll never forget
keep up the good work my friend, you're doing something right
and sometimes life can change in very grand ways overnight!
peohello