A "Romantic Subplot" Tag

Hey everyone,

I recently had a commenter show concern that my story would have romance in it. I confirmed that it would and he suggested I tag it as such. The issue is that I'm only allowed 4 genre tags and I think Drama, Action, Adventure, and Fantasy are more representative than 'romance'. I think it would be beneficial if there was a 'romantic subplot/s' tag so that stories that aren't in the romance genre, but have a bit of romance can be filtered out by those who don't want to read them.

Re: A "Romantic Subplot" Tag

Normally I always say, "no, that's not a good idea" to new tag suggestions because we don't want to become over-tagged like Wattpad...

With that said, I actually support this! My favorite stories blends equal parts good plot and good romance, but when I see someone tagged the story as romance for a minor subplot or some side characters who got into a relationship.... It makes me disappointed. There's a big difference between actual romance and romantic subplot.

Actually, I'm more excited to continue reading your story just knowing that there's a subplot, and I won't be disappointed if it wasn't focused on more, because I will be going in with the expectation to not expect romance as a genre, just a subplot.

Just my two cents as a reader.

Seersucker Wrote: Hey everyone,

I recently had a commenter show concern that my story would have romance in it. I confirmed that it would and he suggested I tag it as such. The issue is that I'm only allowed 4 genre tags and I think Drama, Action, Adventure, and Fantasy are more representative than 'romance'. I think it would be beneficial if there was a 'romantic subplot/s' tag so that stories that aren't in the romance genre, but have a bit of romance can be filtered out by those who don't want to read them.
Can't handle a little bit of romance as a subplot? Talk about picky readers... I mean, a story can have dozens of sub genres. If it's not a main part of the story, then there's no need to list it as a genre, for sure. Would be nice to have it as a sub-genre, though. I also want to see Sword & Sorcery as a genre added to the list.

LambentTyto Wrote:
Seersucker Wrote: Hey everyone,

Can't handle a little bit of romance as a subplot? Talk about picky readers... I mean, a story can have dozens of sub genres. If it's not a main part of the story, then there's no need to list it as a genre, for sure. Would be nice to have it as a sub-genre, though. I also want to see Sword & Sorcery as a genre added to the list.
It's not that people are picky, necessarily. It's more that it's very rare to find stories that don't have romance. For people who aren't interested, a lot of the romance subplots just reads like filler, even if it's well written. Finding aro/ace novels is heckin' hard. 

I would appreciate this tag. I'm one of those readers who drops a book at the first sign of romance, and that's only because romance has over saturated the genres I love to read - and it's always treated in exactly the same way. I find it dull. So I'd like to skip it.

Zeepolian Wrote: Ironically I would love this just for the fact that I wish there was an easy way to say "hey, no romance in this, look somewhere else." for when people look up my stuff.
On Wattpad I used to include a line that said something like: Awakening is a non-romantic dark fantasy. It was my first line of my blurb so I could ditch the people who weren't into non-romance, or dark fantasy. It did have an impact on views, but my engagement, votes, and faves when waaaaaay up.