Re: The Blue Box Is A Trap

I feel like there's a discussion about LitRPG numbers and a discussion about power progression in long-running series in general?

When it comes to LitRPGs, I'd say the problem with blue screens is that not all information is useful. Like, the MC increasing their martial arts skill from level 12 to level 16 means nothing unless you've established stuff like what's the average level, what level to strong people have, what difference it makes in terms of who the MC can defeat, et al. And if everyone has 40 skills then that makes each individual skill much less impactful so I'd probably just skip whenever the author just lists every single skill the MC or anyone else has.

For the general power progression, I know I've seen Xianxia where it just feels like the MC is in some sort of treadmill. They start as the weakest disciple in Sect 1, then they level up and go to Sect 2 where everyone else is stronger and they're the weakest again, and then they level up even more and ascend to another plane where everyone else is stronger and they join Sect 3 where they're yet again the weakest, and so on. Like, it makes sense that as the story progresses they may get into conflict with more powerful enemies and as they get stronger they learn more about the world and compare themselves to stronger people, but when new power levels just keep on getting introduced with no forshadowing or mentions from earlier it starts to feel like the MC is making no progress because the author has turned on level scaling.

My story is on hold because it's National Novel Writing Month, and I am celebrating by not writing anything.

That said, progression fantasy has plenty of incredibly long, continuing work, including cultivation novels etc. If the genre itself discouraged the continued writing of long novels, then it probably wouldn't be so popular among several webnovel sites where part of the favoured MO is to write on almost indefinitely. Plenty of novels have used the 'hero seeking power' format, and used it as an easy way to generate further chapters continuously.

Long ago, all book series needed to be exactly three books long. No less and no more.  Today the milking of a plot is a never-ending treadmill of fail.  Especially when the author made enough and has been bored of it or dies. 

Like all things, people pivot towards money to be successful. 

I don't think LitRPG is going away. The current generation is so addicted to endorphin hits from loot, upgrades, progress, OP mechanics that they couldn't read a book if it didn't contain this, which is why litrpg does so well on audiobook with the gamer crowd.  If you look at most of the books now, anything for boys is definitely going to have some of this in there. This is also affecting their schooling as schools rotate education to be more female-centric vs competition-centric (boys).  (I'm not looking for an ideological debate on it. Just stating the facts. )

What I don't see much is good stories that can take you somewhere else.  Such as Frank Herbert's dune that keeps getting wrecked by movies or Isaac Asimov's many books.   LITRPG suffers from this IMO as a reader. I've read and enjoyed many of them at this point, but it feels like drinking unsweet vs. sweet, unfilling when I'm done.  The series never ends. Look at aleron kongs the land, for example, he is losing interest in it and has tried several other things, but he has 300 open plot lines and no closure. His last book had a whole chapter on diarrhea. Yet it's one of the most popular series on audiobooks.

Ramond E Feist did several series that were successful and closed them all and started new ones to continue it, but he had closure.

Litrpg isn't going away if anything, it is going to ramp up for this generation.

This video isn't a put-down more of an observation about what's going on, and IMO it's mirrored in the shift of book tastes. Authors and publishers need to follow the money to stay in business.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgQOHwsIbg

I think good books will sell, but I think going litrpg will make it +100 gold to sales.

ImEthan Wrote: The extreme of this is Randidly Ghosthound, which has over a 1700 chapters and the main character still can't even comprehend the power level of the Big Bad, likewise, Randidly's only change as an individual occurred in the first 100 chapters, as he learned his responsibilities and becomes more confident with his new power. It's no wonder all of the books on RoyalRoad fizzle out, who can stay in love with the same character for 1700 chapters?

This is just such a shit take it's actually unbelievable.

The story has progressed to the point of RG having a an estimation of the BBEG's strength.

Same shit for the "lack of character change". RG is pretty a blank slate the reader can project themselves on (although in the re-release on Amazon the author seems to veer away from that and make an effort to convey the rationale behind RG's decisions a lot more than i remember from the "original").

While the character does change, the goal (and therefore way forward) has been laid out since shortly after the story began. All character-development takes place on the way to that goal, but might not make itself apparent immediately.

I really enjoy a MC that is not second-guessing themselves every second chapter, veers of into trying to "quantify" attributes by using the scientific method every third or the good old morality identity crisis every fourth. Nowadays it seems to be a staple - guess what. It's not character development. It's handwringing and in 90% of novels i read nothing ever comes of it. Which at best makes it word-padding in my book.

And the readers are not in love with RG. They are in love with the World(s) the author has crafted, the progression-system (cookie-cutter as it may seem like), the varied amount of characters (and sometimes their unnecessary POV's). RG is just the guy through whose lens we experience all those things and his steady-progession-based strength is the reason we get to read about them in both the breadth and depth we do.

Besides, The Legend of Randidly Ghosthound is afaik one of the only few novels on this site that actually tackles the question of where the System comes from and how it influences society on a detailed level. Do things like that and your novel automatically balloons out to epic proportions.

Not LitRPG's are the problem.

Shitty or unexperienced authors not thinking things through are. They lean on the numerals like a crutch, while forgetting that they are not the story - they only help facilitate it (and give some excuse for technobabble).